X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skyway
    replied
    In St. Louis the 4th reached 105.
    Our local MoIll chapter put 3 cars ('63 and '83 Avantis, and a '64 Commander 6) in the Webster Groves parade (a SLOW 2 miles) and they all essentially (the '63 Avanti had to take a break at the 1.6 mile mark for vapor lock) made it.
    Hopefully not quite so HOT next year.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    I think the Vegrant was when it came out the year before, with that 'revolutionary' 50,000 mile air cleaner. The filter and housing was of one expensive (for the time) piece!!

Craig
    When I purchased my Chevette from a friend that was the original owner, I went to service it and found that the air cleaner was an entire assembly, not cheap, and not just a replaceable element. I thought so much of that car that I sold it as soon as the title cleared NYS. It was a Chevette that was equipped with everything that you could get early-on, including a vinyl roof (along with A/C, AT, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    (OMG; is this the first sign of GM losing the ball in the weeds as the decade progressed?)
    I think the Vegrant was when it came out the year before, with that 'revolutionary' 50,000 mile air cleaner. The filter and housing was of one expensive (for the time) piece!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    I love the carpet savers in the front, and the handy mats in the rear! Aren't they basically a set of accessory matching rubber floor mats? Craig
    Right, Craig; they are identical as to color and texture. No reason for them to have different names.

(OMG; is this the first sign of GM losing the ball in the weeds as the decade progressed?) BP

Leave a comment:

replied
    Pretty cool. It will have to be a '70 or '71 if it is a convertible; '71 was the last year.

'Better check it out before it disappears. Any of those 1970-1971 E-Body convertibles are rare, so take a look! BP
    Saturday afternoon I passed a great looking red-orange Barracuda convertible going south on I-81 a few miles south of Winchester, VA. It had a decal on it reading "383". I didn't think to check the license tag. It must have been air conditioned- top up, windows up, older couple.

Leave a comment:

• qsanford
    replied
    It also has the wide dual black stripes. They were on it when I bought her. I am not sure if it should have the dual pinstripes or not. Also a wheelcover car! Quentin

Leave a comment:

• qsanford
    replied
    Thanks Bob,
    No, it is not one of the Indy convertibles. It is the Citronyella color with a black interior. I have owned it since 1983 when the previous owner was trading up to a new Subaru! I think he felt it was the last Dodge convertible and then the Dodge 400 convertible came out in 1982. It is loaded, though- automatic transmission and AM radio! Quentin

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Here's the build sheet:

I love the carpet savers in the front, and the handy mats in the rear! Aren't they basically a set of accessory matching rubber floor mats?

Craig

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
    About 5 miles from me an elderly lady has one of them 71/72 challengers sitting in her garage . Its dark green - black interior - hubcaps - the top is down and its just covered in thick dust . Seen it when i was doing some work on her house and if my brain was working that day i would have raced home real quick and grabbed my camera for a few pics.
    Pretty cool. It will have to be a '70 or '71 if it is a convertible; '71 was the last year.

'Better check it out before it disappears. Any of those 1970-1971 E-Body convertibles are rare, so take a look! BP

Leave a comment:

• aarrggh
    replied
    About 5 miles from me an elderly lady has one of them 71/72 challengers sitting in her garage . Its dark green - black interior - hubcaps - the top is down and its just covered in thick dust . Seen it when i was doing some work on her house and if my brain was working that day i would have raced home real quick and grabbed my camera for a few pics . .

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by qsanford View Post
    That's one of the reasons I have kept my 1971 Challenger convertible- it's a 318,too! The cloners are circling!
    Cool, Quentin. Is it by chance one of The Indianapolis 500 Festival Cars? There are't all that many of them accounted for, all things considered.

If it was originally Hemi Orange and you're not sure, PM me the Serial Number. I'll check it for you; I have the Serial Numbers of all the 1971 Indianapolis 500 Dodge Challenger "Pace Car" Festival Cars that were used here for the 1971 race, and to whom they were assigned during the month of May.

(Here, my Hudson friend Larry Kennedy stands with his car on the right, with Pace Car Graphics:

It is a documented 1971 500 Festival Car. Ironically, it was assigned to an Indianapolis Motor Speedway Board of Directors member named Kennedy! No relation.)

It's a long story, but in the course of buying and selling collector cars through the years, I actually owned all three cars in this photo at one time or another...and still own the Barracuda in the middle, of course. BP

Leave a comment:

• qsanford
    replied
    Thanks, Ed. I bought the Barracuda stuck in a snow drift in front of the seller's house on a cul-de-sac in east Indianapolis December 13, 1976. I knew what it was at the time, but I sure didn't know what it would become. MoPar people jokingly tell me it is rare because it is one of the few 318 cars that haven't been converted to a hemi clone!

The car was stuck so thoroughly, the snow was so deep, that I had to come back the next day and dig it out to get it home. I went ahead and paid the seller, a curbstone dealer, without driving it. I told him I'd be back if there were any transmission or drivetrain issues. He said there weren't and there weren't.

I have not heard of the Graveyard Carz show. Is that on Speed Channel? BP
    That's one of the reasons I have kept my 1971 Challenger convertible- it's a 318,too! The cloners are circling!

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
    Bob, I just noticed as the pics went up, our two Buicks are not unlike in colour!
    Indeed, Brian....so close, in fact, that I just checked my Sherwin-Williams 1968 and 1972 Automotive Color Books to see if the two colors might have the same formula. They do not.

'Nice looking Sport Wagon! BP

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied
    Bob, I just noticed as the pics went up, our two Buicks are not unlike in colour!

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied

Bob, I see what you mean about the 72 being a bit cleaner than the 73, interesting car and very original.
    This is the Buick I have, a 68 sport Wagon, I bought it from the original owner, i am just in the throws of replacing the lower green paint section with the original woodgrain applaque and fitting a 69 GS Ram Air hood to it.
    Great car drives like new and heaps of torque from the 400.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X