Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic under carpets to avoid or promote floor rust??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Webb
    replied
    I have used the spray on bedliner & POR 15 with excellent results. The bedliner stuff would be the cheapest but both work equally well here.

Leave a comment:

• cultural infidel
    replied
    Originally posted by 62champ View Post
    Wonder how spray in bed liner would do as a floor covering and moisture resistant?
    I used the Roll-on stuff back in my old Ramcharger. Worked great. Hosed it out after every camping trip!

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    When my dad and uncle would pick up a parts car and squirrel it away, the firs thing they would do is pull the floor coverings out. There is still a '62 four door there that has not had three doors on it since the late 60s and it still has paint on a few places on the floor boards...

Wonder how spray in bed liner would do as a floor covering and moisture resistant?

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Jute is the worst.

Ever notice on 65's and 66's they used foam padding? These cars have less floor rust because there is alot or air between the carpet and metal. Something to think about......

Leave a comment:

• cultural infidel
    replied
    Originally posted by JimC View Post
    What I really like is stuff called dynamat. I had a friend who used it on his car, and it's amazing what it does for the ride. It's basically a tar pad with an aluminum foil top. The tar does prevent moisture from reaching the inside of your car, but it also dampens noise like you wouldn't believe! In my buddy's car, it's almost spooky how quiet the ride is now. I'm very tempted to try doing this to my Lark when I change the carpet out.
    there is a good thread going over on the HAMB regarding dynamat alternatives, since it is a pricey option for most. I'll dig up the link once I get some work done around our shop.

Decided work can wait:
    Screw Dynamat.... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=711889
    Home Depot Insulation.... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51399

The Dynamat is the newest variation of the two. Both over plenty of information however. I am thinking about going with Lubocrod's EZ-Cool or the Peel n Seal in the 65.
    Last edited by cultural infidel; 07-03-2012, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• E. Davis
    replied
    Plastic sheeting is a magnet for condensation regardless of climate or condition. Put a piece in and check a day or so later and I will bet droplets will have formed.

Leave a comment:

• cultural infidel
    replied
    Ditch the plastic idea. It will only serve to hold condensation build up underneath itself. The floors in the 60 has a plastic mat covering them.... leaving behind a nice plot of rust after sitting for 35 years

Leave a comment:

• JimC
    replied
    I've had moisture and even mold growing under rubber mats before. I try to air mine out and check for moisture regularly, even on my newer models (the mold I mention was in a 2002 Ford Windstar that's a daily driver).

What I really like is stuff called dynamat. I had a friend who used it on his car, and it's amazing what it does for the ride. It's basically a tar pad with an aluminum foil top. The tar does prevent moisture from reaching the inside of your car, but it also dampens noise like you wouldn't believe! In my buddy's car, it's almost spooky how quiet the ride is now. I'm very tempted to try doing this to my Lark when I change the carpet out.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    I agree. My cars with rubber floor mats suffer the most floor damage. Full carpeting, and carpeting only, will allow the moisture that inevitably gets in to breath and dry out.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I have noticed that the rubber or rubber backed or plastic "Mats' most of us like to use to "protect" the Carpeting are the WORST offenders! Lots of moisture is held in to rot the floor with these.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    You have pretty much answered your own question. The key is keeping it dry. If you don't spend much time in the rain, keep the car in an enclosed area with a moisture barrier type floor...then it shouldn't be a problem either way.

Those of us who live in very humid areas, have dirt floor sheds and barns, and drive in the rain, will have problems sooner or later. Even cars with carpet, if it is allowed to get damp and hold moisture, will become a rust incubator.

The key is to keep the door drains clean, floors painted, and allow the car to "air-out" to dry any moisture that does occur in order to extend the longevity of the vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• Plastic under carpets to avoid or promote floor rust??

I have completed rust-proofing, priming, and painting floors of my two Cruisers. I have heard that one should not place plastic under the carpets as it will not allow carpets to "breathe", causing more rust than if no plastic were present. Most inside floor rust seems to come from inside the car, so I thought plastic under the carpets should protect the floors from rust. I live in a dry climate and cars are stored in cold garage and not driven in wet or snowy weather. Any opinions?
Working...
X