Ornery and Cantankerous, OR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ornery and Cantankerous, OR?

I think Mr. Kabchef would fancy himself a bit on the ornery and cantankerous side, but I, on the other hand, see something else.

Most know that sadly a bit back I spun a rod on my 289 in my '49 C-cab. While building the motor originally and the entire truck around it I have gotten so much help here from ALOT of people, but none more that Roscomacaw. Bob originally gave the good shape, running 289 to swap into my truck. After posting my story about spinning the rod Bob offered a good shape crank within minutes.
    I FINALLY got the time to ride up to his place and pick up the parts I need so desperately.

Yes I could have had him ship the parts, but that would have deprived me of the chance to see my pal and thank him in person!

So I got up this morning and had a nice breakfast and my morning pot of joe and called Bob to make sure his days plans had not changed and that he would be home. After checking a few things on my motorcycle I hit the road at 7:45 am. Google maps told me it was going to be 304 miles and 5 hrs and 10 min each way, but neck pain and all I was ready and excited. Some favorable traffic conditions and the lack of LEOs and I found myself pulling into his driveway at an amazing 11:55 am.
    That was a nice pace of over 72 mph which included a fuel and restroom stop to return some of my rental coffee.

I was really stressed about the long ride tearing up my neck, but I was feeling pretty good when I got there, maybe partly because I was excited to get some needed parts and maybe part to see Bob.
    I felt good and was not dreading the ride home. The weather was STUPENDOUS. I left in the morning with shorts on and a light riding jack and my light, vented summer gloves and my helmet and was very comfortable. At my fuel and restroom stop in Kraemer Junction at the 395 and the 58 I shed my jacket and was just in a T-shirt, shorts, summer gloves and my helmet and was perfectly comfy all the way to Bobs house.

I spent almost 3 hours there walking the yard and digging thru parts in the barn and just jabbering.
    When all was said and done I was loaded down on the Beemer. Both saddle bags and the top trunk box were full of parts and a big heavy crank was tied down to the rear seat and I was on my way.

He gave me the crank, 4 rods {2 left bank and 2 right bank}, a 12V wiper motor and all of the linkage and pivots, the COOLEST spot light I think I have ever seen, and some great shape outside door handles that he had offered me in the past for a STEAL of a price. He gave all of that for the one small price he had quoted me just for the door handles.

Then as we are heading back through the garage, he says "you built a custom bed for your truck didn't you? {yes} Then you need some kind of sign on the back since you don't have a tailgate. I want to give you your choice of one of these...". He holds up 2 of the coolest badges I have ever seen. One is a stamped sheet aluminum piece that is about 12" long and 3" tall and kind of ovaled shaped. The outer edge and the letters STUDEBAKER are raised and the reccessed area is painted red. The other plaque is almost identical except the recessed area is not painted red, but it is kind of dimpled and the whole piece is solid cast aluminum. He says "take you pick, I want to give you which ever one you want". I about pee'ed. I took the cast one and plan on painting the dimpled recessed area red like my rims.

So you tell me, Ornery and Cantankerous, OR?

I vote for Cool, Generous and Awesome.

I am not trying to sound like I am kissing his butt, but I am trying make sure HE knows how appreciative I am of his generousity and friendship.

Updates on the truck to come....maybe be a few weeks though, got a VERY busy couple of weeks and the Cancun for a week on July 16....woooo hoooo

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Just before I leave he grabs a small box and says "lets go and get your wife and daughter something too"....a whole box of some incredible plums. She loves them Bob and so do I .

Bob, I did not bring another "bottle" this time to say thanks, and I am kinda glad because I noticed something I think you may like as much and do not have. On top of the couple buck I owe you watch for another package....thanks.

Comment

In probably 30 years, I never met the ornery or cantankerous Mr. Kabchef

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
        In probably 30 years, I never met the ornery or cantankerous Mr. Kabchef
        I have, and he is neither!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I always found Bob in his Mr Biggs guise an excellent ambassador for the Studebaker Community, it was never too much trouble for Bob to answer someone's questions and offer advice/encouragement. More power to you Bob.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

With all the things that can, and sometimes do, go wrong when working on old cars, friends like Bob make the good times even better.

Comment

Well, just be aware that our 'wonderful' Mr. Kabchef has... many sides.....
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

As do we all.
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

We all have different sides, but regardless of that no-one can fault Bob's dedication to helping forum members with their issues.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    Andrews.... why don't you jump in a roundy round car and forget to brake on turn 4. Give the front stretch crowd a show. I'm sure there would be a lot of applause. Tell us what you have done for Studebaker owners that would even begin to compare to what Bob has done and contributed many , many, many times over. I think you finally crossed the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      Some things never change no matter how long one is away...

At least no one could accuse you of having different sides given your round state.

Comment

Mr Biggs is one of the biggest reasons I joined this forum,and continue to read this forum.
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Well, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about me.

I've only met Bob once, but I agree that he's a great guy.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
                            Andrews.... why don't you jump in a roundy round car and forget to brake on turn 4. Give the front stretch crowd a show. I'm sure there would be a lot of applause. Tell us what you have done for Studebaker owners that would even begin to compare to what Bob has done and contributed many , many, many times over. I think you finally crossed the line.
                            Some people think that the world revolves around them and become upset when someone else gets the attention that they crave.

Comment

Now, how is Bob gonna ride around in Pete with his head all swelled up?????
                              Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                              1958 Commander "Christine"
                              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                              1955 Commander Sedan
                              1964 Champ
                              1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                              X