"Dumb" Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dumb" Question

Having a bit of a go trying to get the shift knob off in my 65. Anyone have a trick or tip for me? I have a new piece to put on, but the original ain't budging. It'll spin but not pop off.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Dumb answer

Crush it with a vice grip?

(Note: I don't endorse following any advice that I give.)
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Try using a heat gun to expand the plastic.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll give er hell. Then I'll have to figure out how to attach the threaded shifter handle that I got.

Comment

If the diameter of your shift lever is larger than the threads, you could remove it and have a machine shop thread the end for you. (Plus if you remove it, you could pound it with a mallet until the old one comes free.)

I had a Wrangler with a stripped shifter knob thread (still not sure how the PO managed to do that!!). I took some of that epoxy putty you can buy at the auto parts stores, mixed it and mushed it into the new knob, and plunged that puppy on there. The putty did it's job, and until the day I sold the Jeep, the new shifter knob stayed just as I had put it on there.
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
            If the diameter of your shift lever is larger than the threads, you could remove it and have a machine shop thread the end for you. (Plus if you remove it, you could pound it with a mallet until the old one comes free.)

I had a Wrangler with a stripped shifter knob thread (still not sure how the PO managed to do that!!). I took some of that epoxy putty you can buy at the auto parts stores, mixed it and mushed it into the new knob, and plunged that puppy on there. The putty did it's job, and until the day I sold the Jeep, the new shifter knob stayed just as I had put it on there.
            that is a pretty good idea, hadn't thought about using an epoxy on it

Comment

If you have a new knob, why not just crush or break the old plastic knob.. Install the new one after heating in hot water and slip over the handle..

Comment

Were the shift lever and knob even sold as seperate parts?

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                  Were the shift lever and knob even sold as seperate parts?
                  They are on stude-international...but I think he has a different, non-oem knob he wants to put on...either way good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X