No announcement yet.

So what is the most COMMON Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what is the most COMMON Studebaker?

Now that gets ya wondering eh? Times change and all those rusty larks are going away. So what's the most COMMON Studebaker? Possibly the 1963 Avanti???

This is easier than arguing over which is the rarest.

The highest-production single Studebaker model in the company's automobile production history was the 1950 Champion W5 Regal DeLuxe 4-door sedan, of which 55,296 units were built...and we may presume sold, unless someone is aware of an NOS copy languishing on a Certificate of Origin somewhere.

As far as I can determine, it is the only single Studebaker model to have sold over 50,000 units.

I don't profess to have the knowledge (or a source thereof) to determine that figure if you want to include horse-drawn vehicles! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 06-29-2012, 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Clarify your question."Common" as: Still in existence, still on the road or more popular? 1950 was the year of highest production - and those bullet-nosed beauties of that year are plenty popular. I'd easily bet there's more '50s than around than there are Avantis.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

BP writes: "As far as I can determine, it is the only single Studebaker model to have sold over 50,000 units. " And that's just that ONE body style Champion.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
          Clarify your question."Common" as: Still in existence, still on the road or more popular? 1950 was the year of highest production - and those bullet-nosed beauties of that year are plenty popular. I'd easily bet there's more '50s than around than there are Avantis.
          I'm sure you're right, Bob. I'm not about to do it, but if you tallied all the 1950 Studebakers represented in our SDC Roster against the Avantis, I, too, would bet that the '50s would win. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If one goes to a Studebaker zone or internatonal meet there is always,lots of Larks,GT & other Hawks & Avanties Real & otherwise

Comment

You're right about that, but I'd bet with all the rods and customs built upon 50s, they'd win hands down.

Comment

A curious tangent:
                I wonder if the Starlight Coupe body style is more plentiful today with so many '47-'49 and '52 Starlight Coupes "retrofitted" with '50 front clips.
                Andy
                62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                  So what's the most COMMON Studebaker?
                  A rusty one...
                  Last edited by Guido; 06-30-2012, 04:58 PM.
                  Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    This is easier than arguing over which is the rarest.

The highest-production single Studebaker model in the company's automobile production history was the 1950 Champion W5 Regal DeLuxe 4-door sedan, of which 55,296 units were built...and we may presume sold, unless someone is aware of an NOS copy languishing on a Certificate of Origin somewhere.

As far as I can determine, it is the only single Studebaker model to have sold over 50,000 units.

I don't profess to have the knowledge (or a source thereof) to determine that figure if you want to include horse-drawn vehicles! BP
                    If you consider a 2R5 truck to be a "model", then it sold over 50,000 examples. Of course it took multiple years (i.e. 1949 and 1950) to reach that volume.
                    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                      A rusty one...
                      I was too slow, and you stole my joke!
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I can't speak to specifics, but for the non Studebaker / non car collecting population the name folks always come up with is the Golden Hawk.
                        Perry
                        \'50 Business Champ,
                        \'50 Starlight Champ,
                        \'60 Lark Convertible,
                        \'63 GT R1,
                        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                          If you consider a 2R5 truck to be a "model", then it sold over 50,000 examples. Of course it took multiple years (i.e. 1949 and 1950) to reach that volume.
                          Yet I often hear "I didn't know Studebaker made trucks"
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Jon, ain't it the truth??? If I had a buck for every time I've heard that line, I could redo Pete all over again.

Comment

There is a gozillion 63 Larks.
                              Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                              1958 Commander "Christine"
                              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                              1955 Commander Sedan
                              1964 Champ
                              1960 Lark

Comment

Working...