Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• packardHawk58
    replied
    Thanks Brent, I new there was an excuse, I just couldn't put my finger on it. LoL!

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post

Hey Bob, you sure you want me to drive, the last time one of my buddies loan me their car we had a slight problem!
    Brian, is that how you Aussies get to the underside of your cars to drain the oil and grease the front-end?

I have a similar problem with my convert at this time as it spontaneously rolls on its own when put in park, as the park pawl isnt engaging due to linkage misadjustment, I presume.
    Last edited by Milaca; 07-07-2012, 07:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied

Hey Bob, you sure you want me to drive, the last time one of my buddies loan me their car we had a slight problem!

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied
    Hey Bob, we need a convertible or you better start cutting that hole for the Skytop now!

Leave a comment:

• wcarroll@outrageous.net
    replied
    Bob-

A few words of advise on using GoPro's... be sure to set the camera to one touch recording and if you can, mount it in a position where you can reach the one button. GoPro's take high quality footage, but along with that comes very large files (especially the HD model) that can take forever to load off camera, process and edit using software. I try to take many shorts instead of one long for this very reason. Sometimes I wish they had a setting to have the camera automatically start a new "clip" every so many minutes. They do have the ability to take a certain number of stills with one touch, but no preset recording length feature that I know of. The new version does however has the ability to be controlled remotely. I also found the Bacpac LCD screen to be invaluable for framing my shots.

Good luck. Can't wait to see the footage!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Another addition to the plan: The camera will be riding along for a couple passes with the legendary Ted Harbit in the Stude Tomato. This thing should get us some great footage!

Now to find, download, and learn how to use some good movie editing software

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Just an update- I'm making up a fixture that will allow me to firmly mount the camera above the roof of the Lark, yet allow me to turn it between front and rear view from the passenger's seat at any time. This will eliminate the prospect of pulling over to switch views- and deciding which view to start with and when to switch. I think I have a good design.

My goal is to capture the scene and the 'feel' of the event, and the facility; and especially the cars and people. I always love footage of cars moving with a camera at pace instead of stationary, filming cars passing by. Based on my memories of '07, we should be able to get most, if not all, vehicles on the track, on camera.

Hopefully, this will come out to be a good memento of the event, and a good representation of same for those who can't be there. After all, who knows if this will be possible in five years??

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Well, Brian- I'll take a chance on you since we'll only be in a lowly Lark VI. If it was something valuable, welllll.....

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied
    Ok guys while you are on the subject of driving on the "wrong side" contemplate this one, I drive my Amercian cars which are left hand drive on the left hand side of the road, so you are driving next to the gutter and you have to judge the centre of the road and oncoming vehicles, lots of people drive them like this out here because they don't have to convert them over anymore if the the vehicle is 30 years and over in age. A test track........a piece of cake!

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    I have a GoPro camera that I bought to use for training/coaching young race car drivers. I plan to bring it to SB to do some recording. Mostly I thought it would be cool to record the cars going around the track

My plan is to mount the camera on the roof of my Lark. I'll do some footage with it facing forward, then stop and change it to rear facing. My thought is to do most of the footage facing the rear. I will be operating it from shotgun position, with Brian Greenall as the driver.

The GoPro takes amazing footage! It has a 170 degree view angle, so it should be ideal for catching all the cars in action. To give an idea of what this can do, check this video. It's A.J. Bernys, one of our young drivers. Doing pretty well for 17 years old! Top speed is about 125 MPH coming into the turns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5fiY5yksTQ

BTW- The video ends with A.J. smacking the wall at the 10:43 mark. Just prior to that, you see him miss his entry just a bit and a car #93 dive under him. The camera shows that the 93 got in too hard and missed the turn, and A.J. made a great move to duck back under him coming off turn 4. You'll see the 93 hanging the tail out as A.J passes him; then the 93 gets into the RR of A.J., sending him into the wall. Punchline: the driver of the 93 is my brother, Jay It's a tough business.....

Anyway, looking at the footage, I think this would be great for the Proving Ground track laps. It's so clear and real-looking I can't watch that video without instinctively pushing the loud pedal to the floor

The plan is to make a movie of it and post it to YouTube for everyone to see. My last attempt to do video, Lancaster '08, did not go well- WAY to jittery This time I have a monopod to help with stability, plus the GoPro should give big strides in quality.

Any pro videographer tips?
    Bob you have got to be nuts if you are going to let Brian drive your car, he is use to driving on the wrong side of the road and might even be going the wrong way, but if you do let him then I might have to let Ian Mackellar drive my Avanti there, just kidding I have found the people from Australia are good drivers and better over here than I would be over there, see you there.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by studeski View Post
    You gonna put the steering wheel on the right side?
    No, and that's the risk I'm taking with an Aussie driving. At least the traffic flow is all one direction, so we don't have to worry about 'which side of the road'...

Leave a comment:

• studeski
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

My plan is to mount the camera on the roof of my Lark. I'll do some footage with it facing forward, then stop and change it to rear facing. My thought is to do most of the footage facing the rear. I will be operating it from shotgun position, with Brian Greenall as the driver.

Any pro videographer tips?
    You gonna put the steering wheel on the right side?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by 2r10jim View Post
    Seems a little, I'll say, brave to be standing that close to the track
    Not sure what you're referring to here? As stated in the first post, we'll be on the track, and I'll be filming from the car.

Leave a comment:

• 2r10jim
    replied
    Seems a little, I'll say, brave to be standing that close to the track

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
    Hey Bob, you told me you are going to have the R2 fitted into the Lark by then!
    Well, that was the plan. But since I don't know your driving skills, I thought it best to keep you under 160 kph, which is about the top end of the 6 banger. So for this year, no r2

Leave a comment:

Working...
X