64 and 65 Stainless options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 and 65 Stainless options?

A few issues ago there was a two door with the wide stainless that had no color, but was highly polished. It looked great. Mostly I have seen the center painted black on most. I have also seen the center painted white or the indention painted black. Were any centers painted red? On the 4 door cars I like the stainless on the B pillar, and the stainless on the rocker panel. I have mixed feelings on the stainless in front of the rear tire. Were these factory options, come on the Cruisers, or were they 65 only? If my wife adds these to her Daytona 4 door, will it still be original?
    Thanks in advance.
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
    sigpic
    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

My 65 Daytona had the stainless guards in front of the rear wheel opening. My 1964 Daytona sedan did not, but I think it was an option.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

yes definetly an option for 63-66 Lark types. On the Cruisers they were standard, for sure on teh 63-65.

On the molding under the door, that is standard on Cruisers. The side trim on 64/65 cars are different. Criusers had the indent painted black. Daytonas had the center spear (not the indents) painted black. I have seen cars and pictures of cars that have painted these colors other than black. Typically either red or blue rather than black.

Mark
      Last edited by Bullet; 06-27-2012, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Are you going for a 100 point, nothing but a total complete and factory original car to be used only for judging ?
        If so than you better research every nut and bolt on the car. The trim is the least of your worries.
        Or are you going for a car that you can enjoy.
        Build it any way you want. If you and your wife like that trim style, put it on.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Aren't those long side trim pieces anodized aluminum and not "stainless"?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

side trim pieces definetly aluminum. rocker pieces are stainless.

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the correction on the wide aluminum stainless. I believe the red 64 (living shop manual) at the Studebaker museum had a white center on it.
              My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
              sigpic
              Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
              in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

There are a few '63 Daytonas with the silver aluminum "spear" below the stainless body side moulding painted like Malcom Berry's Daytona Wagonaire, it's Black on a White Car.

I have never seen a '64 Daytona Changed from the center raised area painted semi gloss Black, not that it has not or could not be done.
                It depends on the Body Color as to how well that would work, the Black looks quite good on all except Black Cars IMHO.

No, your Car would not be original, you could still enter it in Stock Class and just lose a few points for painted mouldings, added rocker panel Mouldings and other Stainless trim.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

65 Daytonas and Cruisers had the side trim with the two thin black lines like the 64 Cruisers.

Here's a 64 convert that had the center painted white. It was at the spring swap in South Bend this year.

The last South Bend 64 Daytona in the museum has a black center.

Attached Files

Comment

Here is a picture of a 1964 with a red indent on the side that I found on the internet several years ago. By the license plate is it appears that the car is from Australia or NZ.

Mark
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X