65 Commander Paint.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Commander Paint.....

Looks like I will be getting a cheapo Maaco Paint job in the coming months unless I can source a gun and the proper paints/air tank. I will be sanding the car down and doing as much of the priming as I can. There will be no cancer repair on this go around. I know that I should take care of it prior to paint, but it isnt in the cards right now. The paint is being paid for by my boss. If I am going to continue to park out front, he wants it to at least look decent.... from 20'.

So I am asking for your color input. I really like the look of matte and semi-flat finishes. I do want to do it up 2-tone with the roof matching the wheels. The wheel color can and will be changed accordingly. The roof will get a Flake treatment if I can afford to go that route.

Ideas are what I am after! Looking forward to what you guys can come up with. I have added a few of the photoshop jobs that the HAMB guys did up for me.

I would want to just do the roof however, not the top half.
    Last edited by cultural infidel; 06-26-2012, 10:42 AM.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

To do just the roof, you would need a pair of used '66 Cruiser lower "C" Pillar Mouldings and chrome rear caps to hide the Paintline.

All of the HAMBs Pics have the White on the bottom, it makes more sense and looks better to me, to have the high reflective, lighter Color on TOP.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I don't know. I'm partial to the red/black look...

...but that's just me
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I think if you ever do a roof-only two tone, it would look best to do the roof White or black, and put the color on the rest of the car, in my humble opinion.

Comment

white top over blue would probably be my choice, although white over that shade of red would look cool, too. at least to me...

i also like JimC's! there's one in florida for sale - cheap - with those colors that pdrmec just posted on another thread...
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I really like the green over white. I would do it just like the picture. I love the dark color from the belt line up and the white on the bottom. I love the stance as well, but found that it take more modifications of more things than I wanted to mess with to lower it too much.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

To: Jim C,----- The paint combo on Your Lark looks pretty nice.....wish I could better see how You handled the two-tone at the front of the car.

Comment

The lighter color on top would keep the interior cooler. I'm surprised at how much I like the color break at the beltline. It adds just a bit of additional class.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  To: Jim C,----- The paint combo on Your Lark looks pretty nice.....wish I could better see how You handled the two-tone at the front of the car.
                  A previous owner took care of painting the car about 10 years ago, from what I understand. Actually, I want to repaint it next summer, as the PO also apparently did some bondo work on the fenders, and it's starting to bubble. You don't notice it at 20 feet, but up close it drives an OCD personality such as myself batty. (You'll also note the MAACO signature orange peel texture in some places, which is something else I want to correct.)

You can sort of see if you look closely at the top picture (or click here to see an obscenely large version - no seriously, it's like a 7mb file) that they basically followed the flow of the belt line straight to meet the grille. It actually looks okay with the darker colors. Of all the ways to handle it, I think this is probably the way I'd have done it.

I actually really like how they handled the rear end of the car. (Less massive photo here.) Again, had I done the paint job, it's what I would have done.

Obviously, the front and rear are way different on a '65 though, so you might have a bit more latitude to tinker. I will say two things about black on top. First, I hope you like washing your car twice a week. I've discovered that dust and dirt are physically magnetically attracted to black. Second, you will want air conditioning or cool days. It was 102 degrees today. At the temperature peak, I just opened the door to see what it was like. The air that escaped could have baked a chicken in 5 minutes flat! I don't even need to look to know that the carburetor is bone dry.

Comment

Your car looks either like it is parked on Jupiter or you have twenty thousand pounds of lead in it......

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                      Your car looks either like it is parked on Jupiter or you have twenty thousand pounds of lead in it......
                      lol. yeah they really hammered it down when they chopped it. I want it lowered but that is a bit much for me. I do think I want to go with one of the 3 options above. Leaning more towards the red or blue

Comment

If it were me, I'd go with the red. Of the three, I think it has the most pop. Plus, red IS the cliche sports car color of choice.

I like blue, but Ford and Chevy have both used blue a lot, (Actually, the blue in that image sorta looks a bit like GM's corporate blue ) and the last thing I want is someone telling me how Ford or Chevy built my engine, and then "proving it" with my "Ford Blue/Corporate Blue" paint job. <g>

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          To do just the roof, you would need a pair of used '66 Cruiser lower "C" Pillar Mouldings and chrome rear caps to hide the Paintline.

All of the HAMBs Pics have the White on the bottom, it makes more sense and looks better to me, to have the high reflective, lighter Color on TOP.
                          How difficult would it be to locate the trim that you speak of?

Comment

Working...
                          X