Update on Kirby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Kirby

Today, my brother and I got old Kirby to running. We installed new plugs, and did the usual cleaning of points, etc. We took the gas line loose before the fuel pump, and ran a line from the gas can to the fuel pump. One prime, and she fired right up. After a few minutes of clearing her throat, she purred like a kitten. The temp., amp, and oil pressure guages all work. I'm not sure , yet, about the gas guage. After warming to normal, the oil pressure stayed just to the high side of 40 lbs.
    The other day, I filled up Kirby's radiator, and about half-way up on the radiatior, it had a leak on the passenger side. After we got it running, we installed a radiatior off my Dad's last '64 Studebaker. The water pump was making all kinds of noise, so we intstaled a water pump I'd taken off the Convert. It makes some noise, but not nearly so much as the one we took off. It will do until we have dome more diagnosis.
    So far, there are more pluses than minuses. The amount of rust is formidable, but I have all of the exterior NOS sheet metal. Thre will still be a lot of sheet metal patching, but I am determined to do it.
    There is something about this old car that has piqued my interest, and I am interested in seeing what it will become. I look upon it as a legacy to leave my grandson, however I intend to enjoy it myself before he gets full custody.

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
    Today, my brother and I got old Kirby to running. We installed new plugs, and did the usual cleaning of points, etc. We took the gas line loose before the fuel pump, and ran a line from the gas can to the fuel pump. One prime, and she fired right up. After a few minutes of clearing her throat, she purred like a kitten. The temp., amp, and oil pressure guages all work. I'm not sure , yet, about the gas guage. After warming to normal, the oil pressure stayed just to the high side of 40 lbs.
    The other day, I filled up Kirby's radiator, and about half-way up on the radiatior, it had a leak on the passenger side. After we got it running, we installed a radiatior off my Dad's last '64 Studebaker. The water pump was making all kinds of noise, so we intstaled a water pump I'd taken off the Convert. It makes some noise, but not nearly so much as the one we took off. It will do until we have dome more diagnosis.
    So far, there are more pluses than minuses. The amount of rust is formidable, but I have all of the exterior NOS sheet metal. Thre will still be a lot of sheet metal patching, but I am determined to do it.
    There is something about this old car that has piqued my interest, and I am interested in seeing what it will become. I look upon it as a legacy to leave my grandson, however I intend to enjoy it myself before he gets full custody.
    Nice to hear you are coming along so well. You'll be driving it in no time.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

This is the 1964 Commander F-body factory 289 / 4-speed, Sam, right?

'Sounds good; that's an encouraging report.

Cool beans. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That's right, Bob. It is one of the cars belonging to Mr. Kirby that Mr. Johnson sold in W. VA. The next thing is to get some brakes on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
          That's right, Bob. It is one of the cars belonging to Mr. Kirby that Mr. Johnson sold in W. VA. The next thing is to get some brakes on it.
          Got it, Sam. That's what I thought. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X