Calling all New Yorkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all New Yorkers

Who will be going to South Bend for the IM and driving? I would like to get a sense of how large a group and what routes are being taken to South Bend. Looking for caravanning possibilities.

Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

Well by the look of it your in Buffalo , you'd be way farther ahead to crodd over to Canada and then go across at Sarnia/Port Huron , its 410 miles from my door to SB ....add maybe 45 miles to Buffalo
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bob, it really isn't a bad trip from Buffalo. Went to the swap meet in May, took about 7 hours.

Peter Bishop
      Director,
      Northeast Zone

Comment

You really should try the route through Canada, for you its 4 lane hyways all the way , once you cross the bridge (with no toles)I can be in Lancing way before you'd ever reach Detroit around the south side of the lake.
        sigpic

Comment

Do you need a passport or enhanced license to pass through Canada from NY to MI ? I went around last time because I didn't know what was required post 9/11.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Yes you need either one. I think you can get into Canada without one but your customs won't let you back in the US without one or the other.
            sigpic

Comment

After looking into planes and trains, it looks like I will again be driving to South Bend. It is 750 miles, one way, for me. I would be about half way there before our paths would cross. I go I 84, I 81, I 80/ I 90. I will travel on the weekends in order to be in South Bend from Sunday night to Saturday morning. I have caravaned with Studebakers from Hudson Valley Chapter in the past, but I do not see how we can hook up with you on this year's trip.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                You really should try the route through Canada, for you its 4 lane hyways all the way , once you cross the bridge (with no toles)I can be in Lancing way before you'd ever reach Detroit around the south side of the lake.
                I've done both routes for other reasons, and this caught my eye, so I checked Mapquest from my town of Parish NY to SB. Taking the South route below the lake, it figures 9 hours 50 minutes, 610.07 miles. If I take the North route through Canada, it says 10 hours 49 minutes, 648.15 miles. And that doesn't count possible waits and hassles at the border.

Right now it looks like I will have the Lark on the tow dolly going to SB, then in a brand new enclosed trailer on the way home. I can't imagine what problems I might have at the uptight borders towing a trailer with a temp tag and MSO.

So for me, it's the southern route as usual, based on shorter time and distance. The towing aspect just reinforces that.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

We will take I80 most of the way and not bother going through Canada might be just a little out of the way, coming in the motor home again and hope to be in the same place as 07, will have 6 people, 3 dogs, one handicap scooter, and the 67 Avanti on the trailer, be there or be square.
                  Last edited by candbstudebakers; 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Hey Bob Andrews , I bet your mapquest took you from Buffalo to Windsor/Detroit border.....that is a longer and slower way.
                    See you there !
                    sigpic

Comment

We are a family of five, and plan to visit Niagara Falls on the weekend prior, 28-29 Aug, then head to SB on Monday from the Buffalo area. Would be very interested in a caravan from Buffalo, especially if going through Canada. We will be in the 56J, and hopefully the wife will be in her 63 GT, if I can get it roadworthy by then.

Joe Hall

Comment

Hope you ment July ?
                        Let us know when your in the area.....we are leaving very early on the 30th for SB
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                          Hope you ment July ? Let us know when your in the area.....we are leaving very early on the 30th for SB
                          July. Would be leaving for SB Monday, the 30th from Buffalo area.
                          Are y'all driving a Stude ?

Joe

Comment

Yep , there will be 2 Stude pickups heading there on monday morning.......very , very early....we plan on getting into SB no later than about 1 pm...you would be welcome to convoy with us.
                            sigpic

Comment

The Studebaker caravan is always fun. We did it a few years ago with the Hamilton Chapter on the way to South Bend with 5-7 cars. The Detroit path is a lot longer and Sarnia is the way to go for us We haven't made our minds if we will be going to South Bend yet. Have a reservation for the week but might cancel as the time gets closer. My Hawk is getting the best of me with on-going PS problems. I can't seem to drive more than 2 hours without a major leak... I'm at the point of not wanting to jack up the Hawk to do another repair and would rather do some woodworking in my shop.

Allen
                              1964 GT Hawk
                              PSMCDR 2014
                              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                              PSMCDR 2013
                              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X