Calling all New Yorkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
    You really should try the route through Canada, for you its 4 lane hyways all the way , once you cross the bridge (with no toles)I can be in Lancing way before you'd ever reach Detroit around the south side of the lake.
    Bob, they would not even get close to Detroit, going through Toledo is their waypoint.
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I know Allen , just use detroit as a reference point.
      Hey leave the woodworking for your old age ....get that hawk out <g>
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
        The Studebaker caravan is always fun. We did it a few years ago with the Hamilton Chapter on the way to South Bend with 5-7 cars. The Detroit path is a lot longer and Sarnia is the way to go for us We haven't made our minds if we will be going to South Bend yet. Have a reservation for the week but might cancel as the time gets closer. My Hawk is getting the best of me with on-going PS problems. I can't seem to drive more than 2 hours without a major leak... I'm at the point of not wanting to jack up the Hawk to do another repair and would rather do some woodworking in my shop.Allen
        Just remove the belt and drive it with standard steering. It won't hurt a thing, except maybe your biceps

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          Just remove the belt and drive it with standard steering. It won't hurt a thing, except maybe your biceps

Joe
          If push comes to shove, I will cut the belt,... easier than dealing with the Supercharger belt and removing it from the fan shroud to get the PS belt off. At this point I would just like to drive the Hawk but it is continually throwing a snafu at me! Looks like I am really upset with my Hawk,... I am even making her live outside right now! (covered up of course)

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Hey Bob Andrews , I bet your mapquest took you from Buffalo to Windsor/Detroit border.....that is a longer and slower way.
            See you there !
            Here's the map. I couldn't figure out how to just imbed the image: http://www.mapquest.com/embed?hk=LwGDbQ

As you can see, there are two main routes from about London- if I go through Sarnia, it's 648.15 miles. If I go along the north shore of the lake below Detroit and through Toledo, it's 636.49 miles. Either way it's longer, plus the hassles and delays of crossing both into and out of Canada... both ways.

Not trying to argue with you, just adding the info for those coming from NY debating whether or not to take the Canada route. I love Canada, but it's not the best way to SB is all I'm saying.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hi Bob , I can see why its 648 miles the way that map sent you !
              Like I said its 410 miles from my place (which is 35 to 40 miles from Buffalo) to South Bend but I'm not using that route....I cross at Sarnia and from here I'm in Sarnia in about 2hr 45 min. , we always cross the bridge early in the morning , no back up that way ,usually no more then about 1 or 2 cars in front of you then your on your way.
              I certainly understand why you guys wouldn't want to cross the border 2 times going one way ....I wouldn't either<g>
              sigpic

Comment

Bob A. .... you're right the route south of the lakes is better...especially if you stay off the interstates.
                We'll be crossing at Ivey Lea, north of Watertown, and arriving in SB some 750 miles later. We'll be enjoying the Finger Lakes, the Allegany Forest, a little bit of the Lincoln Highway and a whole lot of back roads and all that they offer.
                The tour to get there is a big part of the event...for us, last year we put on over 3000 miles to go to the international meet and enjoyed every turn the road offered up.

See you there
                Bill Foy
                1000 Islands, Ontario
                1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Going from Buffalo area, through Canada to SB sounds most appealing to me, considering the wife & kids have not seen Canada. Plus, they have been wanting for years to see Niagara Falls, so can kill a couple of birds with one stone that way. Originally, my old friend from Syracuse was gonna link up with us in Buffalo, but he has had to pull out. Doing a caravan sounds good, hope we can link up with anyone going that way.

Joe H

Comment

Joe , we probably can figure something out when we ge close to the time. You do know you need passports though ?
                    You can PM me if you want to get together down the road.
                    sigpic

Comment

Joe , we probably can figure something out when we ge close to the time. You do know you need passports though ?
                      You can PM me if you want to get together down the road.
                      Sounds good! We have passports. Will stay in touch.

Thanks,
                      Joe

Comment

Working...
                      X