Clear All

I had the thought that one of the most "rare" Studebakers that I knew of

was the Prototype 1957 Packard Hawk which was rejected by Roy

Hurley , but which was For Sale in the June 2012 Turning Wheels on

page 51 at the unbelievably low price of $15,000 . I mean this car is a

one off Factory Prototype and has apparently been with the same owner

since 1979 . Maybe the owner didn't even know what he had because it

is incorrectly called a 1961 Designer Proposal J/K body . Whoever has

snapped up the rare car got a 'bargain' even if it needs a full restoration . !!

It was slated for production as the 1958 Packard Hawk but did not get

the go ahead . In many ways to me , it looks like the Hawk that should

have been built . It has the unique front end , "J" roof panel and '56

style fins . Also note the triple cut-outs in the front guards . Great Car !!

For a better picture of the car , see Automobile Quarterly , Volume 12 No.

Third Quarter 1974 Page 321 for those of you that have this olde issue !!

CRUISER
    Last edited by cruiser; 06-29-2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

I got to drive the Kaiser on the freeway here in Houston at speeds from 50 to 60 mph. The car drove great and had good power. The only thing I did not like was the sound of the car on the road. It was like going down the road in a Solo Cup, not red but yellow (cream colored). The car had not been restorded so all in all a nice original car. I drove it to an auction here in town in the 1970's and I don't think we brought it back. I wonder who has the car now? Strange thing is several years later I saw a red Darrin in Dawson Texas parked in front of an old building. Dawson is not a place you would expect to see a car like that. Anyway at the prices these cars are selling for now, something tells me I have driven my last Darrin.

Comment

How about the two trucks built as an R2 at the factory? one still exists.
        It is an addiction!

Comment

To: cultural infidel,------ That's a big 10-4 on the '55 Speedster!

Comment

64 Challengers= low numbers

Bob Palma had these numbers on another thread when the number of Challengers built arose:

Challenger Six:
            2-door: 2,122
            4-door: 2,546
            Wagon: 453

Challenger V-8:
            2-door: 274
            4-door: 594
            Wagon: 286

Mine unfortunately is part of the 2-door six count(by the Vin), but as it was said-how many still have their sixes-a lot of V-8 conversions have been done-including mine.
            Last edited by 64 Challenger; 06-30-2012, 08:10 AM.

Comment

The term "rare" is subjective. What is considered rare by one person may not be considered rare by another. Time can also change perspective, Henry Ford produced over 15,000,000 of them but it is "rare" to see one today.

I have a number of horse drawn Studebakers, they were produced in vast quantities over the years and were certainly not rare when in service. Given that almost 100 years has elapsed since the last one was produced, most are rare today .

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                WRONG!.....No 1961 Hawks left the factory with a rumble seat installed, but there was at least one customized in that fashion by an independent body shop.
                Hey SNORE-60,

Good thing you have such a sharp memory, perhaps you could find out what issue of TW discussed the car. I'd like to re-read the article about it and I just can't for the life of me remember in which one I read about it in? I would really appreciate your help with this.

Thanks, Bo (re)
                Bo

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                  There is a lot of mention to what is rare... but does anyone have pictures of these vehicles?
                  There is a video clip some where on U-Tube of the 1 ton 4 door Diesel Truck. Matthew Burnette did the video and posted it some time ago. David Walker has the 3 door 1 1/2 ton Diesel Truck.
                  Bo

Comment

Originally posted by bomarkham View Post
                    There is a video clip some where on U-Tube of the 1 ton 4 door Diesel Truck. Matthew Burnette did the video and posted it some time ago. David Walker has the 3 door 1 1/2 ton Diesel Truck.
                    Coolest Stude truck around. http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885...rew+cab+Diesel

I've seen it in person a few times and Bo even let me start it up once. Probably a good thing I can't afford it.

Comment

To: bomarkham,------ No problem! I'll try to find the copy of TW that covered this, and will post it for You if I indeed do find it! Your Welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        To: bomarkham,------ No problem! I'll try to find the copy of TW that covered this, and will post it for You if I indeed do find it! Your Welcome!!
                        Hey SN-60,

Your a good fella. Thanks, Bo
                        Bo

Comment

There were 2 61 Hawks,and 2 61 Larks with rumble seats. They were built by a body shop in Illinois. The story about them was in the June 1989 TW.
                          Last edited by 52hawk; 06-30-2012, 01:27 PM. Reason: add info
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

To: 52hawk,------- Thank You for posting this info!

Comment

Working...
                            X