PICS! Studes @ 2012 Indpls' Road Rockets Rumble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PICS! Studes @ 2012 Indpls' Road Rockets Rumble

Thursday-Saturday, June 21-23, 2012, was The Indianapolis Road Rockets Car Club 13th Annual Road Rocket Rumble.

This is an ole' skool hot rod / rat rod show where anything and everything is liable to be seen...and was!

First, the only Studebaker-powered hot rod I saw on the premises. 'Way cool:

Class project from the local Vocational School:

Nice C-Cab:

and M-Series:

Station Wagons are especially popular at this event.

A West-Coast 1963 Daytona Wagonaire stocker; 259 / 4-bbl / Flightomatic, owned by John Farr of Brownsburg.

(John knows how to take us '64 fans down a notch. He told me he wanted to get a '63 Wagonaire because it was distinctive, "before they made them look like a Nova!") OUCH!

and an unusual monotone 1957 Broadmoor in Turquoise:

And a no-credit, non-Studebaker Pop Quiz just for fun. Here are the right and left sides of a certain 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Town Sedan:

There's nothing wrong with it, so why is there only only one "Lakes Pipe?" BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Six banger ?

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      an unusual monotone 1957 Broadmoor in Turquoise:

BP
      I don't suppose you were able to speak to anyone about that car?
      I'd be interested to know if it came from California- Atascadero in particular.
      Dad and I saw one f/s there in that same color about 15 years ago.
      We also thought it odd to be in one color, and with minimal options, too.
      (not even wheel covers!!!)

I wonder if it could be the same one...?
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
        Six banger ?
        BINGO!

You're right, John: Even though this is the most expensive "Fordor" they made in 1958, it's a SIX. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
          I don't suppose you were able to speak to anyone about that car?
          I'd be interested to know if it came from California- Atascadero in particular.
          Dad and I saw one f/s there in that same color about 15 years ago.
          We also thought it odd to be in one color, and with minimal options, too.
          (not even wheel covers!!!)

I wonder if it could be the same one...?
          Possible, Dave; all those cars from central Indiana rusted away decades ago. This one, as you see, has virtually no rust and has not been restored. Further, it has few options, as you say. It does have Flightomatic, but no radio. The correct blank-off plate is still above the glove box. I'd say a majority of Broadmoors would have been factory-equipped with a radio, wouldn't you?

The car was parked near one corner of the field; parking is random all over the place. The owner was not around the car when I took the photo. As I walked back to get to my car, he was in motion, leaving, and I didn't get a chance to button-hole him.

'Did note the car having a current Marion County Indiana license plate, which means he is from Indianapolis proper.

I'm sure I'll see the car again at another local show and will try to engage him. BP
          Last edited by BobPalma; 06-24-2012, 06:42 AM.

Ayn Rand:

Comment

The engine in the first photo is the original from the 1957 wagon. It was for sale on the HAMB awhile back.

Comment

The T sedan is mine, and the wagon was mine until I recently sold it to a guy near Indy. I believe the wagon did come from California originally, based on an oil change sticker that was on the door pillar. Can't remember the name of the town that was on it though.

Comment

Thanks for posting, Bob. I enjoyed these.

Comment

For some reason, I only get a red X for the 1958 Ford pictures (after several tries).
                  There was a 1958 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, but I do not believe that there was a "1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Town Sedan" (there was a 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 4 dr. sdn.).
                  I owned an unusual 1958 Ford four door sedan that my father in law bought new. It was a black and white Fairlane with the Country Club option. It was a six cylinder. The car had many strange problems. I turned it in on an excellent 1961 Studebaker Lark VIII Regal (in 1964).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    For some reason, I only get a red X for the 1958 Ford pictures (after several tries).
                    There was a 1958 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, but I do not believe that there was a "1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Town Sedan" (there was a 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 4 dr. sdn.).
                    I owned an unusual 1958 Ford four door sedan that my father in law bought new. It was a black and white Fairlane with the Country Club option. It was a six cylinder. The car had many strange problems. I turned it in on an excellent 1961 Studebaker Lark VIII Regal (in 1964).
                    Actually, Gary, there was a 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Town Sedan; Model 58B in Ford parlance. It had a rigid "B" pillar.

By contrast, Model 57A was the no B-pillar four door hardtop, which Ford called the Fairlane 500 Town Victoria.

Remember, beginning with their true 2-door hardtop in 1951, they tended to call all their "hardtops" Victorias; Club Victorias for 2-door models and Town Victorias for 4-door models.

You're right; they also had Fairlane (non-500) Town Victorias and Club Victorias. They were the ones with the side trim that looked like an enlongated Corvette "cove." They weren't nearly as popular as the 500s, though, even though they shared the same body shells. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Actually, Gary, there was a 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Town Sedan; Model 58B in Ford parlance. It had a rigid "B" pillar.

By contrast, Model 57A was the no B-pillar four door hardtop, which Ford called the Fairlane 500 Town Victoria.

Remember, beginning with their true 2-door hardtop in 1951, they tended to call all their "hardtops" Victorias; Club Victorias for 2-door models and Town Victorias for 4-door models.

You're right; they also had Fairlane (non-500) Town Victorias and Club Victorias. They were the ones with the side trim that looked like an enlongated Corvette "cove." They weren't nearly as popular as the 500s, though, even though they shared the same body shells. BP
                      I know that there were both Fairlane and Fairlane 500 models in four door sedan models with B-pillars. My memory was that the Fairlane was called Town Sedan and the Fairlane 500 wasn't. I just went to a reference that supports this:

Fairlane (wb 118.0)

57B Victoria hardtop sedan
                      3,450 $2,419 5,868
                      58A Town Sedan 4-door
                      3,427 $2,275 57,490
                      63B 63B Victoria hardtop coupe
                      3,373 $2,354
                      64A club sedan 2-door
                      3,375 $2,221 38,366

Fairlane 500 (wb 118.0)

51A Skyliner retractable convertible coupe
                      4,069 $3,163 14,713
                      57A Victoria hardtop sedan
                      3,488 $2,499 36,509
                      58B sedan 4-door
                      3,452 $2,428 105,698
                      63A Victoria hardtop coupe
                      3,390 $2,435 80,439
                      64B club sedan 2-door
                      3,380 $2,374 34,041
                      76B Sunliner convertible
                      3,556 $2,650 35,029
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary, I know we nit-pickers hate to be wrong, but your source is simply wrong this time.

Here's a link to the appropriate OEM factory brochures:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...irlane-19.html

Click on any 1958 Ford picture with the appropriate body style and you'll see that Ford consistently refers to the hardtop (no B-pillar) models in question as either Town Victorias (4-door) or Club Victorias (2-door).

Of course they are 4-door hardtops or 2-door hardtops in general industry nomenclature, but I think our discussion, here, is how their manufacturer identified them as to model name, just like a 1958 Ford Sunliner is also a 1958 Ford convertible.

Specifically, there is a two-tone bronze/beige 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Town Sedan illustrated among the sedan (not hardtop) models, too. Just click on the image to enlarge and see Ford's nomenclature for the B-pillared sedan in the Fairlane 500 series.

Sorry. BP
                        Last edited by BobPalma; 10-31-2012, 04:02 PM. Reason: added note about Fairlane 500 Town Sedan reference

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Gary, I know we nit-pickers hate to be wrong, but your source is simply wrong this time.

Here's a link to the appropriate OEM factory brochures:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...irlane-19.html

Click on any 1958 Ford picture with the appropriate body style and you'll see that Ford consistently refers to the hardtop (no B-pillar) models in question as either Town Victorias (4-door) or Club Victorias (2-door).

Of course they are 4-door hardtops or 2-door hardtops in general industry nomenclature, but I think our discussion, here, is how their manufacturer identified them as to model name, just like a 1958 Ford Sunliner is also a 1958 Ford convertible.

Specifically, there is a two-tone bronze/beige 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Town Sedan illustrated among the sedan (not hardtop) models, too. Just click on the image to enlarge and see Ford's nomenclature for the B-pillared sedan in the Fairlane 500 series.

Sorry. BP
                          Bob P. - After my first post, based on memory, I went to online and printed (hard bound book) sources that agreed with me.
                          After this post of yours, I decided that you are probably correct. However, I did look at the brochure, that you linked to, two times (not easy on dial-up). I saw a two tone bronze/beige Fairlane Town Sedan. I did not see any Fairlane 500 Town Sedan.
                          I will stick to my initial position and await your retort <G>.

EDIT: Okay, you win <G>. I discovered that your link took me to the middle of the brochure. I went from there to the back end before this initial post. I went back to the brochure and downloaded the earlier pages. Now I see a Fairlane 500 Town Sedan.
                          Last edited by studegary; 11-01-2012, 02:19 PM.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            Bob P. - After my first post, based on memory, I went to online and printed (hard bound book) sources that agreed with me.
                            After this post of yours, I decided that you are probably correct. However, I did look at the brochure, that you linked to, two times (not easy on dial-up). I saw a two tone bronze/beige Fairlane Town Sedan. I did not see any Fairlane 500 Town Sedan.
                            I will stick to my initial position and await your retort <G>.
                            I believe I posted a black Fairlane 500 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=fairlane

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              I believe I posted a black Fairlane 500 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=fairlane

Craig
                              NO - The black car that you pictured in the other post is a Fairlane with the Country Club option package, not a Fairlane 500.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X