Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker V8 Engine Book-Why Not Write One???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker V8 Engine Book-Why Not Write One???

It occured to me yesterday that perhaps one reason why the recent Hot Rod Magazine V8 engine survey ignored us was that apart from manuals and old copies of TW there is nothing available in the bookstores explaining the development of the Studebaker V8 let alone how one can be made to maximize its potential.

Is it unreasonable to make a suggestion that those who know should get their heads together and create such a book?

It's also 46 years since we went out of production (48 for our engine).

Just wondering, not a criticicism of BP or anyone else - just that as I say, if A) folks are too young to know/remember us and B) no easily available information can be obtained, what hope do we have of recognition with those younger folks who are (hopefully) the future Studebaker enthusiasts when we depart the scene?

If such a book is available send details and I'll buy a copy.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

John, there have been two American V8 Engine Books published of late in which the Studebaker V8 is given fair, adequate coverage:

1. The Ultimate American V8 Engine Data Book 1949-1974, by Peter C. Sessler. Copyright 1999 by Motorbooks International.

2. The Standard Catalog of [American] V8 Engines 1906-2002, by John Gunnell. Copyright 2003 by Krause Publications.

I contributed to the Studebaker sections of both books and have personal copies of each, autographed with thanks from the respective author(s).

My only reservation about either book is that I was not allowed to write or proofread the photo captions in the Krause book, although the book credits me with having checked the Studebaker section for accuracy... which I did, but only the text! I couldn't be responsible for their photo captions because I didn't see or write them, so the fact that they say the 259 was "bored out" to 289 for 1956 is an inexcusable error for which I'm not responsible.

Other than that, both books do a good job including and documenting The Studebaker V8 engine.

Truthfully, I can't imagine a large enough market for a Studebaker V8-exclusive book of any size. Publishing nowadays (remember, I was a full-time Textbook Editor for Howard W. Sams Publishing in Indianapolis almost 9 years) demands full color throughout and expensive graphics; it would thus be costly to produce for what market there would be.

That said, Hot Rod should have a copy of each of the above books on their office library shelves and should have referenced each one during the brief time they had their heads out of you-know-where while ignoring the Studebaker V8 in the subject April 2012 edition of Hot Rod.

(To date, I've not heard peep from them regarding the lengthy missive assembled to enlighten them at that time, and plan to let my subscription to the magazine expire as a result...with an appropriate letter saying why when the time comes! There's plenty of material to read around here that doesn't get thoroughly read every month anyway.)

So I appreciate your concern, John. If you'd like a book with proper Studebaker V8 engine coverage, I commend either of the above is a general reference. Just don't pay attention to the photo captions in the Gunnell tome. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 06-23-2012, 04:02 AM. Reason: add photos of books
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I was more thinking of someone taking his engine to a rebuilder who hasn't done one before, but I guess the appropriate manual has all the details. I'll look for the books.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
        Thanks Bob, I was more thinking of someone taking his engine to a rebuilder who hasn't done one before, but I guess the appropriate manual has all the details. I'll look for the books.
        You're welcome, John, but neither of those books would be of much use for a rebuilder doing machine-shop work. They really need to be furnished with a copy of the appropriate Studebaker Shop Manual...which, of coourse, is already readily available. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Didn't Dick Datson cover a great deal of what can be done to a Studebaker V8? His books are at least a place to start.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
            Didn't Dick Datson cover a great deal of what can be done to a Studebaker V8? His books are at least a place to start.
            Yes, Gary; he did. 'Haven't seen or heard from Dick in decades! BP

Comment

Chuck Lampman is the name of the author who turned his TW series on restoring Studebakers into a book - detailing the peculiarities specific to Studebaker - including Stude engines. I don't know if that softbound book is still available or not. I have a copy.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dick still maintains a website!

Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                  Dick still maintains a website!

http://www.studebakerclubs.com/21stCenturyTurbo/
                  Hey Dan, email me your address. I've got the carpet for the Broadmoor to send you.

Comment

To: Bob Palma,------If You or Richard Quinn (Q) ever authored a new book on the Studebaker V8, why not include the brief interaction with the Packard V8, and include that engine's development? It would
                    expand interest, and increase sales. ( I'll definitely buy a copy!)

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      Hey Dan, email me your address. I've got the carpet for the Broadmoor to send you.
                      Sent you a PM.
                      Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      58 C Cab
                      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                      X