Kirby cars- to clear up a misunderstanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirby cars- to clear up a misunderstanding

When I started the thread http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rs-(and-others) I stated the situation poorly which led to some comments that were a bit unkind to the family. I need to let everyone know that disposal of these cars is a very emotional subject for the family.

In volunteering to help them dispose of the cars I kind of got caught up in the notion of trying to save everything, but I had to shake that off and understand that such was just a dream. They would like nothing better than to honor Torrey's memory by selling each car to a person who could restore it or use the car to help save another. However, they are under the gun to clear out all the cars and they don't have much time to do it. The EPA came to Torrey because he had a salvage yard license which the state of West Virginia made him get. He was NOT in the salvage business, but to preserve his collection he complied with the state. EPA found his collection to be a possible source of water pollution in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed area. In fact, it is extremely unlikely that his collection could cause such pollution. However, under threat of severe fines Torrey began selling cars. Unfortunately, he became ill and passed away before selling many cars and I can attest to the fact that he was trying very hard to comply. Since his passing a number of the cars have been sold to people who will use them as Torrey hoped and every car that went directly to scrap was brought many tears.

Several Forum members have posted lists of Studebakers and others on different forums and that has been a big help and lists posted to this forum have sold cars that the family would have ultimately been forced to sell for scrap, also a big help. Several SDC chapters have published the list of cars and that has resulted in a number of sales. There are still several cars which I want to run on eBay as they should be brought back as Torrey would have wished.

The EPA would NOT allow selling parts, only complete cars, again under threat of very significant fines. Based on the inventory I made, to demonstrate progress, cars that were too far gone to have any significant parts value or cars for which no title could be found were marked for sale to a scrap dealer. There was some confusion in the marking of cars and perhaps two cars that shouldn't have been were sold to the scrap dealer. Strictly my opinion, but I also believe the scrap dealer took advantage of the situation in removing cars as it seemed that he selected the heaviest cars to move out first.

I have to say that the EPA did not single him out. They have cracked down on all salvage yards in this region (not just WV) and some have been closed while others have paid large fines.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Do you have an updated list of what is left? Secondly, Do you know what the seller's name is on ebay?

Thanks for trying to save a piece of history.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jmt View Post
      Do you have an updated list of what is left? Secondly, Do you know what the seller's name is on ebay?

Thanks for trying to save a piece of history.

John
      I'm going over tomorrow to update the list and I'll post it as soon as I can. I am using my eBay seller name for convenience. I'm lazy- I use 53k for eBay user too. I will post as soon as I can get them on. The cars I want to put on right away are in the garage (a '64 Commander four-door and a '58 President Classic, the daughter sold the '48 Champion I was planning to run), but they are so buried I can't get good photos. After that I'm not sure what is good enough to put on eBay. After the struggle to get the '63 GT Hawk loadable and loaded, I'm going to be a little more careful in taking on something like that.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul, I for one believe that your efforts to date have been above and beyond what any one person could ever be expected to do.

I admire your dedication to the mission and have the utmost respect for the time and effort you've already put forth and obviously continue to do.

Thank you so very much. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I for one would on behalf of the family would like to thank Paul for all he has done the time put into this is overwelming . I would also like to thank pauls wife she has been awesome !!! She has been letting paul help us as we do not have all the knowledge we need in this area . As to the rest of the folks please let me say from the kirby /Mckee family we are glad to be a part of this family. You have all ment a lot to those who were able to come to the service it ment an aweful lot to his wife and daughter . To those who brought you cars in remembrance his daughter will never be able to tell you how much that ment . So again from the Kirby/Mckee family thankyou and we love you all . ( god has a special place for all his angels ) !!!

Thank you
          David Mckee ( torreys son in law)

Comment

I bought the 1964 Commander, 2dr, that was one of hte first to sell. My grandson told my niece that, "Paw brought home another rust bucket." I don't know if he got that phrase from my wife or his father.
            An old college friend rode up to West Va.with me to get the "Rust Bucket." Mr. Paul Johnson was there to help us load, and all of the Kirvy/McKee family helped with the loading. After an uneventful trip home, my five-year-old grandson and I set about opening the trunk. We took out the seats and used a homemade extension to take the bolts out of the trunk latch. Inside the trunk, we found three spare tires and wheels, (Two were mounted with snow tires.) a new-looking bumper jack for the car, and a four-way lug wrench. Also, the houndstotth trunk-liner material looked new. (I'm finding evidence that the low mileage shown on the odometer might be right.)
            I haven't tried to start the car yet, but the engine turns with the starter. Lights work, horn blows, etc.
            Yes, there is quite a bit of rust, but I have all of the exterior sheet metal. The old two-door sedan fascinates me more each day.. Next week, my brother and I are going to start a diagnosis of the condition of the running gear. The car has been named Kirby in honor of its previous owner.
            Thank you to the Kirby/McKee family and Paul Johnson for making an old man and his grandson happy. I will post pictures here of (hopefully) any pogress we make.

Comment

All,

I purchased the 63 Hawk from the Kirby family. I would like to express my personal thanks to Paul, who was responsible for making everything happen and just went way beyond the call of duty. I would like to express my sympathy to the Kirby family for their loss and also for having to dispose of these cars under the pressures of the, well... I will not go there because we all know the situation.
              Peg did an outstanding job shipping the car and really came through for me because I was within hours of make the 2,200 round trip when she called. The driver was very helpful also and was very patient, he actually waited 45 minutes for me because I was at my Father’s day gathering when he arrived.
              Now an update on the 63 Hawk. After days of cleaning and flushing, the motor is running and running great. The Hawk only has 64,000 miles showing and I now believe these miles to be actual. I have been driving the car around the perimeter of my land (no brakes) actually, it’s been fun. I did discover the rear end to be a TT and what a great surprise. I’m not sure what my future plans are for this car but I’m certainly glad I have it.
              62 GT Hawk
              49 2R5 Pickup
              00 Avanti Looking

Comment

Originally posted by 62HawkPhil07 View Post
                All,

I purchased the 63 Hawk from the Kirby family. I would like to express my personal thanks to Paul, who was responsible for making everything happen and just went way beyond the call of duty. I would like to express my sympathy to the Kirby family for their loss and also for having to dispose of these cars under the pressures of the, well... I will not go there because we all know the situation.
                Peg did an outstanding job shipping the car and really came through for me because I was within hours of make the 2,200 round trip when she called. The driver was very helpful also and was very patient, he actually waited 45 minutes for me because I was at my Father’s day gathering when he arrived.
                Now an update on the 63 Hawk. After days of cleaning and flushing, the motor is running and running great. The Hawk only has 64,000 miles showing and I now believe these miles to be actual. I have been driving the car around the perimeter of my land (no brakes) actually, it’s been fun. I did discover the rear end to be a TT and what a great surprise. I’m not sure what my future plans are for this car but I’m certainly glad I have it.
                Now that is the kind of success story I like seeing, I'm sure Mr Kirby is smiling over that one,
                Especially when you lit it up to find out that both wheels spin!

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
                  I bought the 1964 Commander, 2dr, that was one of hte first to sell. My grandson told my niece that, "Paw brought home another rust bucket." I don't know if he got that phrase from my wife or his father.
                  An old college friend rode up to West Va.with me to get the "Rust Bucket." Mr. Paul Johnson was there to help us load, and all of the Kirvy/McKee family helped with the loading. After an uneventful trip home, my five-year-old grandson and I set about opening the trunk. We took out the seats and used a homemade extension to take the bolts out of the trunk latch. Inside the trunk, we found three spare tires and wheels, (Two were mounted with snow tires.) a new-looking bumper jack for the car, and a four-way lug wrench. Also, the houndstotth trunk-liner material looked new. (I'm finding evidence that the low mileage shown on the odometer might be right.)
                  I haven't tried to start the car yet, but the engine turns with the starter. Lights work, horn blows, etc.
                  Yes, there is quite a bit of rust, but I have all of the exterior sheet metal. The old two-door sedan fascinates me more each day.. Next week, my brother and I are going to start a diagnosis of the condition of the running gear. The car has been named Kirby in honor of its previous owner.
                  Thank you to the Kirby/McKee family and Paul Johnson for making an old man and his grandson happy. I will post pictures here of (hopefully) any pogress we make.
                  I'm really happy to hear all this and I'm sure Torrey is smiling. I really believed the car could have only 29,000 miles, but didn't dare list it that way without knowing for sure- wish I had asked when I could have. My clue- the pedals showed almost no wear. Yes, pedal pads could have been replaced, but that seemed unlikely in this case.

Comment

Working...
                  X