Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Studebaker Dump Truck In deadly Accident (6/21/2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Update 6/29/2012)

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/money...ness&id=771137

(copy)
    FAYETTEVILLE -- The U.S. Department of Labor has released new details after a fatal accident at a local quarry earlier this month.
    According to a statement from the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA), the cause of a June 21 dump truck accident that killed 49-year-old Terry Johnson of Manlius was brake failure. The MHSA says Johnson and an unidentified passenger were driving a loaded 1957 Studebaker dump truck down an incline at the T.H. Kinsella Quarry when the truck “lost its brakes and went out of control”. Johnson and the passenger jumped out of the truck, but the truck ran over him and killed him.
    The passenger suffered minor injuries and was treated and released from a local hospital.
    The MHSA says Johnson had no mining experience, but did not indicate whether that factored into his death.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Lester Schmidt almost lost his life in his "million mile" Transtar, due to brake failure, after having driving it a million miles. He told me he immediately converted to dual master cylinder afterward. Don't know if a dual MC woulda helped this guy, but probably couldn't hurt. No telling how many miles Terry had driven this truck either. Sometimes we get overly confident in our equipment, at least I do. And sometimes, crap just happens.

Comment

Death is a natural part of life; inevitable. Nobody escapes it. The vast majority of passings are thought to be too soon; some even moreso than others.

Personally, I have never gotten used to losing someone from my life. I hope I never do.

Godspeed, Terry.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks for that update.

I do hope no one takes this wrongly, but I wonder what the fate of the truck will be. Looks like it got pretty tweaked in the accident as well.

I do have to agree with the comment about upgrading brakes. Most especially in the case of something like a commercial vehicle like this. Normally I would pooh-pooh the addition of modern brakes on a classic vehicle. However in this case, it seems wise to do so. After all, when one is hauling around literally tons of dead weight... All the same, I would have done the same as Terry and just kept the load to a minimum.

The whole thing is so sad.
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If the truck had hydrovac brakes and the hydrovac booster was going bad, that could have led to low or no breaking. I drove a larger Chevy flatbed truck once with hydrovac brake booster and when it was going bad, it felt like someone stuck a 2x4 between the brake pedal and the firewall! I stood on the brake pedal with both feet and it barely slowed down the truck. I happened to have enough room to downshift and get the truck to stop on the side of the road.
            Lew Schucart
            Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Thanks for the update and picture.
              It looks like it wouldn't have been too bad if they just stayed in the cab (20-20 vision of hindsight).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I wonder if the truck rolled over? Judging by how the frame is tweaked, the door frame is bent outward and the seat cushion is out of the vehicle, I would say it did not come to a rolling stop. I know nothing of the area, but I wonder if the carnage in the trees behind the truck was a result of the accident?

This is why I do not use any of my antique vehicles for hauling.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  It might not have been "in daily Commercial use". It might have been someone's hobby vehicle that was pressed into service for this one haul of gravel. You know, a CASO "saving" on the delivery charge.
                  I will bet you are correct in your assessment. For example, a number of years ago, we had a member here press his 1949 2R17 into service to haul home some nice, high-end furniture. This furniture store was across the street from where I worked several years ago, and was rather surprised to see it doing some hauling on day.

Craig

Comment

There was a local lawn and tree service that used a 2R16 until recent years. They treated it like nothing more than another work vehicle.

Edit: AND there's that big 8E that I've posted photos of (bet Craig knows how to bring them up) that's still serving monthly as a garbage scow.
                    Last edited by Roscomacaw; 06-30-2012, 06:43 PM.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Looks like the box did a good job of protecting the cab during the probable roll-over but had the operator stayed in the truck, he may not have faired any better. The truck frame may be straight but the subframe of the dump box is probably very bent/twisted. Sorry for the family's loss.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                      X