Revolting Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolting Development

Today I pulled the Avanti out of the barn to clean the working area so my son and I can work on swapping the 3.54 TT for a 3.07 TT. When I started up the car to put it away this evening (in the 95-degree temperature) I turned on the AC and found it cooling just fine. When I shut it off in the barn I heard a loud hiss from under the hood. Opened the hood and the sound seemed to coming from the bottom of the compressor. I guess the shaft seal gave out- lost all the R-12.
    I was planning to drive it to Smithfield Olden Days this coming Friday and to South Bend to the International at the end of July. Yes, I'm a wuss- won't travel that far without AC and if you think I'm bad, the wife won't even get in a car without AC this time of year. I may just have to give up driving a Studebaker to either event. I'm not sure I'm up to fighting a compressor replacement and all the related stuff, especially on an Avanti.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Bummer Paul. I suppose there is no A/C on the '54, but I thought the Wagonaire had it?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

wish i was closer, i'd drive it for you to SB without a/c, just to be able to be there!
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Bummer Paul. I suppose there is no A/C on the '54, but I thought the Wagonaire had it?
        Yes, the Wagonaire has AC, but when I let a "friend" rebuild the engine for our Lincoln Highway trip, he broke off one of the connections at the compressor (among many other things- long story, so long that I haven't felt like trying to fix everything). So, it isn't usable at present.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul, you need the Avanti at South Bend for the 50 th birthday of Avanti, just fix it don't put it off as it will not fix it self, and not any easier next year either...Boby
          Last edited by candbstudebakers; 06-22-2012, 08:28 AM.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Paul; Sorry to hear about the A/C going out in this weather, but that comes with the old-car territory!! There aren't many of us who have not had a similiar situation happen.

I recall the first time the 'snake' bit me. I purchased a 1930 Marquette model 30-37 off a used car lot in April, 1962. I had purchased a 1930 Model A Ford Town Sedan the April before, joined the AACA, and took the car to my first meet in September. Two-thirds of the cars that showed up were Model A's. No one noticed my A and I went home disappointed. I resolved to find something that was of interest. Sold the Ford, bought the Marquette.

The Marquette ran fine the several times I drove it after purchase. I registered for the summer AACA meet in Fredericksburg, VA. I spit-shined the Marquette that Friday and headed out on Saturday for the 200 mile round trip to Fredericksburg from Waynesboro, VA. Had a great run to Barboursville, VA and the engine died on me. It was quite warm that day, but I had no idea what was wrong (I was really a neophyte). I spent the next 6 hours beside the road between Barboursville and Somerset. Late in the day, I tried to start it for the upmteenth time, and it started. I drove back to the Valley without further mishap. The car ran well.

I learned that my problem was vapor lock. I learned quickly from new acquaintances in the hobby how to deal with the problem. However, I did not make it to my first big antique car meet, but I'll never forget that spot in the road on Route 20 at Blue Run Baptist Church. Several people did stop to help, but no one know how to get a 1930 Marquette running.

Hope you can find a solution before the South Bend meet. Good luck.

Frank Drumheller
            Locust Grove, VA
            60S-W6
            M16-52 Studebaker-Boyer 1948 fire truck

Comment

To:53K,------Too bad about the A/C. But that idea of switching out a 3.54 for a 3.07..... That seemed like a good idea to Me a few years ago also, and I did the same thing. It helped a little on a highway 'cruise' I guess,
              but killed the low end 'jump' an Avanti really should have......wouldn't do it again.
              Last edited by SN-60; 06-21-2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Why don't you build one of these and use it to keep the car cool? I've been researching this, and I'm actually considering putting one together for the hotter days of the summer. You can fill the cooler with frozen water-filled pop bottles for reusability, and in a pinch you can always pop by a general store for bags of ice. It's not a permanent solution, but it could be a suitable stop gap measure to get you to your events. When you get there, close the cooler lid and it looks like you were just packing your lunch. (Actually, some people do keep their food cool in these things!)
                Last edited by JimC; 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM. Reason: Added last couple sentences
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Too bad about the air. Check with a competent Radiator repair/ AC repair shop and you might be surprised. Retro-fitting to R-134, I'll bet they'll be able to come up with an acceptable compressor for the system, though you might lose a couple of points on authenticity if its being judged.
                  sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                    Why don't you build one of these and use it to keep the car cool? I've been researching this, and I'm actually considering putting one together for the hotter days of the summer. You can fill the cooler with frozen water-filled pop bottles for reusability, and in a pinch you can always pop by a general store for bags of ice. It's not a permanent solution, but it could be a suitable stop gap measure to get you to your events. When you get there, close the cooler lid and it looks like you were just packing your lunch. (Actually, some people do keep their food cool in these things!)
                    Pretty slick. I'm not sure it could deal with the Avanti greenhouse, but it is interesting. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                      Too bad about the air. Check with a competent Radiator repair/ AC repair shop and you might be surprised. Retro-fitting to R-134, I'll bet they'll be able to come up with an acceptable compressor for the system, though you might lose a couple of points on authenticity if its being judged.
                      I'm playing with the idea of going to a Sanden and 134, but I'd rather "fight than switch".

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        To:53K,------Too bad about the A/C. But that idea of switching out a 3.54 for a 3.07..... That seemed like a good idea to Me a few years ago also, and I did the same thing. It helped a little on a highway 'cruise' I guess,
                        but killed the low end 'jump' an Avanti really should have......wouldn't do it again.
                        Did the same thing to my R1 GT Hawk, for the trip to Dearborn International Meet in the mid-'90s. Does make the low end sort of 'doggy', especially with the Powershift. Got used to starting in first gear..........

But crusing at 75 - 80 mph was a lot nicer -- quieter, cooler engine temps, and IIRC about 2 mpg better gas mileage.
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Ain't it just the life of Riley? On the Determined to Find a Pony in the Pile side: at least this didn't happen ten miles outside of Toledo.

Comment

Spend your time/effort on the A/C and forget about the differential, at least for now. You have a month before South Bend. Hopefully you can have A/C by then. You could go with a Sanden for now and switch back later, if you want originality.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Might could try to dig one of these up off eBay, too, I suppose...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X