Revolting Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    To:53K,------Too bad about the A/C. But that idea of switching out a 3.54 for a 3.07..... That seemed like a good idea to Me a few years ago also, and I did the same thing. It helped a little on a highway 'cruise' I guess,
    but killed the low end 'jump' an Avanti really should have......wouldn't do it again.
    I owned a '63 R-1 with a 3.07 and I agree, it wasn't fast off the line, but it was really nice at 70. I drove a R-2 Powershift with a 3.73 from Bob P's in California to home in eastern WV and I swore never again. Had to hold 3500-4000 rpm to keep up with western traffic. Put a 3.07 in it and it was great. Still burned rubber in the second gear start. Of course, it was bored .060 (299 cid) which might have helped a little. I could finally hear the AM-FM radio <G>. Greg Cone, owner of three Avantis and the R-5 engine, recently changed his daily driver R-2 four-speed to a 3.07 and he's really happy with it. I was afraid it would bog, but he says it will walk away from start in second gear easily and he can keep up with Interstate traffic without the engine screaming at him. The 3.54 doesn't sound so bad, but the car is distinctly unhappy at the highway speeds I want to drive (and it is very noisy even with Dynamat under everything in the cabin. So, at my age, fast acceleration isn't that important anymore- quiet cruising is.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      Spend your time/effort on the A/C and forget about the differential, at least for now. You have a month before South Bend. Hopefully you can have A/C by then. You could go with a Sanden for now and switch back later, if you want originality.
      My son came over this afternoon and already has the old rear end out of the car. Radius rod bushings were shot so it can't get it back together until I get my order from Jon Myer (which is usually overnight because of our locations). And, my son says he can repair the compressor so I also ordered a seal kit. He has the vacuum pump, hoses, gauges and testers and, more important, knows how to use them (which I don't).
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

If switching to R134a you will need to change out the condenser in front of the radiator. You will need to find one from a modern R123a donor vehicle that will fit and mount in front of the radiator. R12 Condensers and R134a have different diameter tubes and operate with different pressure drop through them meaning that if you charge system designed for R12 with R134a you will lose cooling efficiency. Mike Myer should have at least one factory York AC compressor for an avanti because we converted my R1 to an R2 with AC and used a Sanden Compressor. My old compressor worked just find before the restoration but it should be rebuilt first as it hasn't run in several years.
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I've got a good York compressor.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            I've got a good York compressor.
            Thanks. I appreciate the offer. However, I'm hoping I have a solution per Post 17 above. He has repaired York compressors before and if there is something more wrong with this one, I have one that just needs a seal kit.

Comment

Paul
              I've had the A/C switched in several of my 64's to R 134a. My buddy had to evac. the system,install new valves & "juice" the system. I did it most recently with my Dad's '64 Avanti for the Gettysburg meet-it still works great after setting over winter. Rob in PA.

Comment

A/C is unimportant. I doubt it is very hot up there in Yankee land anyway... If A/C were that important then I would not have a car, job, nor play any sports. It is funny that my only time spent in A/C in the summer is from 20:00 to 6:30. I do realize you may be twice or even three times my age, but when it comes to air conditioning there is simply no need for the extra weight or load on the engine. Heat on the other hand... I need it whenever I wonder North of the Mason-Dixon in the Winter.
                Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                Lizella, GA

Comment

I think the above discussion highlights some of the differences in our community: though we all love Studebakers, we differ on many other things, including how they should be equipped. Since Paul and I are from the same generation, I tend to share his opinions of both air conditioning and rear axle ratios. For the past 40 years, I’ve owned a 62 Impala convertible with 300/327 and stick -- and no power steering, power brakes, or air conditioning. When I was in my 20s, I considered the latter items to be unnecessary weight. While I still enjoy driving the car, I drive it less in the summer than I used to because a couple of my other old cars (bought when I was older) have a/c.

I also have a 74 Avanti II with 400, 4-speed, and a 3.73 axle. It is great fun around town, but on the freeway the screaming of the engine at 3000 rpm gets to be troublesome. And the 400 is torque-y enough to be drive-able with an axle ratio below 3:1. For example, I also have a 78 El Camino 350 with the odd combination of 4-speed and 2.73 axle (the result, no doubt, of the CAFE regs that were new at the time). While starting on a hill is sometimes a bit rough, the 350 still has enough torque to get under way – and it pegs the 85-mph speedometer right around the time the engine hits 3000 rpm. Different strokes . . . . .
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
                    A/C is unimportant. I doubt it is very hot up there in Yankee land anyway... If A/C were that important then I would not have a car, job, nor play any sports. It is funny that my only time spent in A/C in the summer is from 20:00 to 6:30. I do realize you may be twice or even three times my age, but when it comes to air conditioning there is simply no need for the extra weight or load on the engine. Heat on the other hand... I need it whenever I wonder North of the Mason-Dixon in the Winter.
                    Skip gave a good response, but I will also add my two cents worth. Paul and I are each more than four times your age. My priorities have changed over the decades and I am sure that yours will too.
                    As far as temperatures, here in the Hudson Valley of NY, we had three days this past week where the temperature was over 90 degrees and the humidity was also high.
                    If you haven't gone long distances in an Avanti, as Paul and I have done, you do not realize how hot they can get. I have owned two Avantis without A/C and one with.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I was told here is a direct replacement available for R 12 systems. You do have to evacuate the system, but do not need to change anything else. The trade name is "Hot Shot" .
                      We are trying it on our older trucks at work, I will give it a try and post the results.
                      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

The Hot Shot R-12 substitute came in, and the guys in the garage recharged our old Mack tractors with it. They did not have to change any seals or anything, it is a direct replacement.
                        So far so good, they are blowing COLD air now!
                        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Working...
                        X