6 Volt Battery Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Volt Battery Cables

How do I tell if the battery cables on my '52 Starliner V8 are indeed correct (not for a 12 volt system).
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Without getting too technical, look at them.

First look at the battery cables on a 12-volt car; late model OK.

The cables on your '52 should be at least twice as large in diameter. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

i'm pretty sure the '40 had a 0 (zero) gauge positive cable, with a negative strap...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0434.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1674638
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I used some 00 welding cable and made my own for my 52 Commander.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Don't know what stock factory cable was called for but 1/0 minimum is needed.
          Would be about 5/8 " diameter.
          Bigger than a "Sharpie" marker. [Magic Marker]
          2/0 would be better.
          Cable is usually marked. You may get lucky and find a size on the cable.
          If the cables are at all old, inspect then very well. Although the cable may look clean and terminals may look good, clean and tight,
          the wire is possibly corroded INSIDE the insulation. You can't see it.
          A slow starter will result. The starter will turn REAL slow.
          Which has caused a lot of people to do unnecessery, complicated, modifications and fixes when all they had to do was replace corroded cables.
          Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 06-21-2012, 03:29 PM. Reason: reworded
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
            Which has caused a lot of people to do unnecessery, complicated, modifications and fixes when all they had to do was replace corroded cables.
            Hmmm, I resemble that remark...
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

OOP's
              It was aimed at all the people who simply HAVE TO CONVERT over to 12 volt because 6 volt is obsolete and doesn't work.
              But, I still thank you every time I'm near the 55. And even when I'm not. And when I look out the window at it. And when I think about it. And when I drive it. ETC ETC ETC
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Most battery stores will make them up for you with 2/0 cables and the correct terminations, at a reasonable cost. If there's any doubt about your old ones, it's good insurance.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Tractor store provided 00 cables for mine.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Okay guys, I'll demonstrate my ignorance, what do you mean by: 00, 1/0, and 2/0 cables?
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

basically, the gauge of the wire - the lower number, the thicker...
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

American Wire Gauge.
                        It's a way of sizing electrical wire based on it's current carrying capacity. [amperage]
                        Most of the wire in your car is size 16, 14, 12, 10. That's for the lights, horn, gauges etc.
                        For these the bigger the number the SMALLER the wire. The less amperage it will carry.
                        For the starter/battery cables it's
                        0 = 1/0 = 1 aught
                        00 = 2/0 = 2 aught
                        000 = 3/0 = 3 aught
                        For these the bigger the number [more 0's] the more amperage it will carry.
                        dc [direct current] doesn't like to travel well so it needs big wire and good connections.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Tractor store provided 00 cables for mine.
                          Yep, I needed far more for the 12V system in the '55 than what was ordinarily necessary, since the battery was moved to the trunk. A trip to Farm and Fleet bought me a whole roll of 2 gauge and some copper lugs, so it should suffice for the next few cars if I need some more made up.
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

When I had my battery business I normally used 2/0 welding cable for 6v systems. The big cables pass the current far better.

Denny L

Comment

Working...
                            X