X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
    Worthy of eventual inclusion into the NSM.

I wonder if he could confirm this car's story...or know who KLR might have been?
    I asked him about it today. He said KLR was probably just somebody on the line, most likely the guy who did the doors. He would also like to know if this car has its original paint. Supposedly at this time Avanti was buying paint from PPG and though he's not sure if they just got a bad batch or if it was bad prep work, but the paint would blister and peel so bad you could drive the car and watch the paint fly off. From the photos, it looks really good. He would also like to see the car in person.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post

I wonder if he could confirm this car's story...or know who KLR might have been?
    If you mean the SNM, my 1987 Avanti was on display there for a period of time.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Please post the VIN sticker (on left B-pillar). Number 142 and 9/2/87 both seem very late in the 1987 model year move from South Bend to Youngstown.

On further investigation, the date (9/2/87) seems possible. The first Avanti to roll out of Youngstown was a 1987 convertible on 9/30/87 and this was a car that was started in South Bend.
    Last edited by studegary; 06-20-2012, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
    If a guy named George Imler autographed your car, he still works for Studebaker......
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 06-19-2012, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    That's a great car, glad it survived. For a SB native though, kinda sad that it's the absolute last one to leave the plant here. Will you have it at the international meet? I'd certainly like to see it.
    I think that a friend of mine at work, George, probably had a hand in building that car. He worked at Avanti until the end of production and then went to work at Avanti Parts and finally N&A all the way to to SASCO and SI. If a guy named George Imler autographed your car, he still works for Studebaker......

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    I was just thinking about this the other day "When did Avanti production end in South Bend?" and now I know! I believe it was summer of 1988 when I visited South Bend and Newman & Altman for the first time. Stepping into Newman & Altman was magical to me. Too bad I couldnt have visited one year earlier and seen Avanti production in action, that would have been a great memory.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    To:Red350DropTop,....... Thanks for posting this. That's certainly one historic Avanti. looks to be in nice shape too!

Leave a comment:

• "Last Production Car Made in South Bend"- 87 Avanti

I had the opportunity this week to try and tighten up the door gaps on the Kelly 1987 Avanti #142 and repair the passenger power window. See the registry here: http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB2...0142x0911.html

Passenger Door panel had this underneath, looks like the assembler's initials and a date:

Attention was turned to the drivers side door

Here is the car number on the cardboard rear of the panel:

And again initials but with an interesting message:

Closeup:

This car was sold with 332 miles on 5/6/88 in Youngstown, Ohio. Google maps says a general distance from South Bend to Youngstown is 313 miles. Looks like it was the last car produced in the old Studebaker factory.
Working...
X