The Hawk is traveling in style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hawk is traveling in style

The buyer of the Kirby '63 GT Hawk lives about 1100 miles from the car. He was trying to find a transport service to pick up the non-running no brakes car. I suggested he call Peg which he did. She gave him a considerably lower quote than the other he was dealing with so he asked her to arrange the transit. She finally told him that no one was interested in picking up a "dead" car so he decided to make the trip to pick it up himself. Before he finalised his plans Peg called him to say that she did have a carrier who could pick it up. The carrier was to arrive late afternoon yesterday so I went to Kirby's to make sure it at least had four tires that held air (long story). Finally got a call that the truck was about an hour out. Shortly after that the owner showed up. Turned out the company was local and the driver was from Martinsburg about five miles away. The owner was checking the directions to Kirby's. He told me that the truck couldn't come up the road I had given them as the trees were to low and they had four new cars on top- didn't want to scratch them. So, Torrey's daughter gave them alternate directions, but forgot one turn so here is a 75-foot long rig driving down narrow, WV roads lost to boot. But he finally got there. Turned out they had a Mustang pickup, but the shipper couldn't get it started so they had one space and they decided to take the Hawk. I asked about a winch- they didn't have one. They planned to push it on to the truck- no way that would work. I had them use my chain and they made up a long tow strap and I pulled it on the truck with my truck close alongside the trailer. To get it in the spot they wanted they had to unload a Lexus SUV and a brand new $100,000 Mercedes with five miles on odometer. So, off in the sunset it went- four new Nissans on top, a '63 Hawk on the bottom followed by the Mercedes with the Lexus on back.
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Paul,
    You deserve a big "atta boy" from Kirby family, Hawk's new owner and Stude folk everywhere for your updates.

ATTA BOY, PAUL
    Kim

Comment

I dunno man, from the choices presented on the trailer, I'd choose the Stude...really! That's the real deal style.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Now you know why no one wants to haul dead cars........Kuddos for you helping getting this thing loaded. I thought I was the only one who found myselft doing stuff like this LOL

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

So many ugly cars & only one beautiful...

Comment

I did not know they made Lexus' THAT ugly! UGH!

They would have to PAY ME to take one off of their lot!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Trouble is, that Hawk will probably end up covered with oil from those leaky Nissans!!

Comment

The Hawk buyer reported to me that he was able to drive the brake-less car around his yard today. He said he had spent three days carefully cleaning and freeing the engine before turning it- had to repair the starter and put on a different carburetor. I have no experience with commercial car carriers, but considering the truck left the eastern tip of West Virginia the evening of the 15th and he has had three days working on it in Louisiana and this is the 22nd, that seems like pretty prompt delivery, especially since he had six other cars to deliver as well. Another kudo for Peg?
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                X