Valley Motor Sales?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley Motor Sales?

Last night I went to an auction and by chance I bought a dealership award plaques (5 years of service) This auction usually sells a lot of local stuff and antiques. The plaque I got says Valley Motor Sales and the auctioneer said it was a South Bend dealer. I've never heard of it, does anybody know anything about it?
    Chris Dresbach

Valley Motor Sales Inc.
    525 Greenville Avenue
    Staunton VA

There were nine different styles of dealer anniversary plaques issued between 1928 and 1966. Samples of most are to be seen in my 3 page article on this topic in the August 1998 issue of Turning Wheels. I suspect the plaque you have is the latest style as shown on page 42 of the aforementioned article.
    I am also guessing that Valley was a fairly late dealer established in the period 1959-60.
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 06-16-2012, 03:19 PM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks for the info. I pulled that issue of TW and the plaque I have is actually a little bit older on. It is style #5 on page 41. (red ball logo, cursive lettering. 1940-55) Mine also has the frame. Thanks
      Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 06-16-2012, 07:31 PM.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

[QUOTE=Studebaker Wheel;654479]
        Valley Motor Sales Inc.
        525 Greenville Avenue
        Staunton VA

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dick, you are on the money. Valley Motor Sales Inc. was located in Staunton (Stan-ton for non-Southerns), VA from the late 50's until about 1965. The first Avanti I saw and sat in was a beautiful white one with the tangerine interior siting in their showroom. I was in my last year teaching at Woodrow Wilson Memorial High School prior to leaving the country for a 2 year tour with the Peace Corps. Valley Motors Sales was located on US 11 South which barely ran through the eastern side of the city. The dealership was originally in downtown Staunton from the late 50's and moved into a new facility in 1963 on Greenville Ave.

I couldn't get the salesman interested in letting me take a test drive as I had already spilled the beans about leaving the country. He knew better!!

I understand the dealership closed permanently prior to the introduction of the 1966 models. Maybe some Staunton or Augusta County Studebaker nuts can add to this brief description.

Frank Drumheller
        Locust Grove, VA
        60S-W6
        M16-52 1948 Boyer bodied fire truck
        1930 Marquette model "30-37"
        Last edited by studelark; 06-16-2012, 06:57 PM. Reason: Spacing

Comment

Working...
        X