To SN-60 More Avanti engine trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To SN-60 More Avanti engine trivia

Name 3 parts/items the R2 Avanti engine share with the Champion 169 engine? These items are not hardware such as bolts....

Good luck!

Oil breather cap, and just a guess dipstick and tube
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Lets say flat head 6. good guess since the late engines did use the same oil cap minus the chrome.

Comment

To: (S),----- Just noticed this thread, I'm really not a '6' guy, so You'll probably 'get Me' on this, but let Me think..................................................

Comment

To: (S),-----------These answers may be a 'stretch' but,.........1) same valve 'seat angles'.....2) Crank 'thrust' controlled at same main bearing (front), 3) Same type, & viscosity engine oil can be used....and same capacity (with filter)
          Non R3.
          PS...I believe the Champ 169 CI You mentioned is a 170 CI

Comment

The oil breather caps were only the large ones on the R3, (which were the same size as the ohv 6).....R2's were standard size.

P.S. I should add the R4, and R5 as using them too.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

There are more than 3 answers. If you 'mix' the early 6 with the OHV 6 there are even more items. The early 6 was called the 169 because it was 169.6 inches. They did call it the 170 a bit later.

Oil pressure releif valve, Air filter element, air filter lid, (same lid just not chromed) W temp sender, Starter Sol, Crankshaft flex plate...........
              Last edited by (S); 06-16-2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

To: (S),------Well allright! I almost said the flex plate because I saw that on an engine job. And I like Your answers better because You named 'Hard Parts' and Mine were more on the 'spec' side. Take care

Comment

Valve springs, keepers and retainers.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, I think you mean Commander 245 springs, a different engine.

Comment

Bezhawk, I don't understand what you mean by larger oil breather caps on an R3 engine. The caps on a factory R3 are identical in size to those used on R1 & R2 engines, with the exception that the upper area is open or relieved where the 2 metering holes are normally located. As a result there is a longer retention clip riveted to the top surface. Years ago I located the identical chrome caps at Walmart, I believe, but they lacked the "oil" impression on the top. In fact, one of those was placed on R5642 as a replacement for a missing correct cap.

Comment

Measure the pipe diameter on the valve covers, you'll find R3s are larger in diameter. Perhaps you had R2 covers modified for the extra breather?
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                          Gary, I think you mean Commander 245 springs, a different engine.
                          Yes, you got to it before I could change my post.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bezhawk, I don't have access to that car now, being one of the factory nine R3 Avantis, but I do recall the caps were interchangeable with standard caps. I seriously doubt that the valve covers were modified R2 units. The car was quite original, but needing some TLC.

Comment

You might jam an R2 cap on an R3, but the tube diameter is larger on the R3 covers
                              Jim
                              Often in error, never in doubt
                              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X