Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desert Car Kings restoring Bullet Nose right now 6/10/12 10-11pm CST on Velocity channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Car Kings restoring Bullet Nose right now 6/10/12 10-11pm CST on Velocity channel

just flipping channel after the news, and DVAP (Desert Car Kings) is "restoring" a bullet nose (on Velocity cable channel). Only saw a few minutes so don't know much about it, but it will be interesting to hear what they say.

after watching it: of course they didn't do it right. Again.
    Last edited by gohdes; 06-10-2012, 11:42 PM.

If the 'Desert Car Kings' is considered a 'REALITY' show, I have to wonder just what a 'FANTASY' TV show would be like!!!!

Comment

This was shot two or three years ago. The finished car was not very nice in person. Pictures lie.

Denny L

Comment

yeah, they are all made for tv. Not representative of reality. But, I do like it because they start with complete pieces of crap (Studebaker excepted of course), and they show their mistakes regarding repainting sometimes, etc. Their auction prices can be really reasonable too.

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
          This was shot two or three years ago. The finished car was not very nice in person. Pictures lie.

Denny L
          figures, it seems every show is a repeat lately. But I had not seen it.

I could tell the body lines/doors/hood didn't line up quite right. They never show it long enough to get a great look. They do things kinda mediocre.

Comment

Any restoration that can be done in 2-3 weeks is a car I'd rather not own.

Comment

I don't think they did a second season of the show. Thankfully.
              I think everyone who know anything about cars hated it...and who is going to watch a show about cars other than people who like them?

Those guys gave the old car hobby a bad reputation...yes...that's how you restore a car, pull a greasy, untested engine from another junker and a quick spray job. Yep, that the image want to have.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I guess that's why it's more "realistic" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post

Denny L
                  It didn't look that great in pictures, either.

I watched that episode new, a year or two ago. I can still see that awful, MAACO-esque paint job that they did in my mind. When you see something truly awful, it sticks with you.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

The father on the show keeps saying he wants to get the "classics" back on the road. Maybe if the cars stay out west, they'd be on the road for a while. Here in the midwest, the quick body repairs might not last too long. The prices they bring are realistic for the quality of "restoration" and I'm using that term lightly that they perform. I don't know what titles Arizona issues for those cars, must likely salvage.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I stopped in and visited Desert Valley Auto Parts last December. Interesting place. They said to feel free to wander around the yard. Had a nice chat with the young guy, who I recognized from the show. There was a '51 Commander convertible in the lot out front, but they said it had been sold. Wasn't much left, but the body and top bows were there, and the body had very little rust.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

They bring a whole new meaning to a "Quickie".
                        Speaking of shady restorations.. Do you remember seeing photos from the big windstorm that postponed the Scotsdale auctions a few years back? I never saw so much body filler in my life... and those are the "big buck cars" Besides the lack of funds... it are scenes like that that I will always remember.
                        BUYER BEWARE!

Comment

Working...
                        X