No announcement yet.

Looking for value of my newly inherited Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awsome! Thanks for your help. The day I was looking at it and trying to open the hood there was a bunch of stuff in front of the car to where I couldn't look under the bumper. Now I know. Thanks again!
    Last edited by PONCHOLOVER78; 06-12-2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Fantastic! What a great find whether its a barn or garage the '59 Silver Hawk could be a great restoration, but listen to the folks that know on this page. I have found that the advice given in this forum is usually right on. The fact that the car has been in the family all of these years is a real plus.
      Curt Devan
      Kirksville, MO

Editor, Mid Missouri Chapter Newsletter "Studie News"
      sigpic

Comment

This appears to be a engine conversion that is not complete ? Do you know if it has ever ran in this car ? Is the engine mounts finished/ Is the trans linkage connected, all the wiring connected? Looks like there is no radiator? Has all the fabrication been done? I would do a close inspection/ evaluation of wiring, linkage, mounts, fuel lines, exhaust, cooling system, and all clearances, including hood, before I made any decision about the Nailhead.

As for as value, that's not going to be answered, to your satisfaction, on this forum. It's only going to be opinions. And everybody has one. It's really going to boil down to what it's worth to YOU!!!
        Last edited by Flashback; 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Yes, this is an engine conversion that is not complete. Don't think it ever ran and don't have any idea on all your other questions. I have known this car most of my life but don't really know anything about it since my uncle pasted away about 15 years ago and my cousin doesn't remember either. I only had about a half an hour to look at it and haven't been back since. I don't think I will be restoring it and after talking to my cousin last night he might see if there is some one else that may want it. He has a co-working that give him a name of a guy here in town that restores Studebakers about a year ago but, has never called him. After my conversation with him last night I think he is going to give that guy a call and see what he says. My cousin was going to give it to me but, now I'm not sure until he talks with this other guy. I told him that I would still like to have it but, that I would probably sells it and split the money with him or something like that. I'm going to wait for a call back from him to see what he decides.
          Last edited by PONCHOLOVER78; 06-12-2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PONCHOLOVER78 View Post
            Yes, this is an engine conversion that is not complete. Don't think it ever ran and don't have any idea on all your other questions. I have known this car most of my life but don't really know anything about it since my uncle pasted away about 15 years ago and my cousin doesn't remember either. I only had about a half an hour to look at it and haven't been back since. I don't think I will be restoring it and after talking to my cousin last night he might see if there is some one else that may want it. He has a co-working that give him a name of a guy here in town that restores Studebakers about a year ago but, has never called him. After my conversation with him last night I think he is going to give that guy a call and see what he says. My cousin was going to give it to me but, now I'm not sure until he talks with this other guy. I told him that I would still like to have it but, that I would probably sells it and split the money with him or something like that. I'm going to wait for a call back from him to see what he decides.
            'Sounds like you have a firm grip on the realities of the situation, Darrel. I do not know "the Studebaker person" you guys may have contacted, so there's nothing in it for me to advise you to take just about anything for the car.

Here's an idea: First, the monetary advice you've received here is pretty good. If he offers you less than you'd like to get (being realistic, here, as you guys seem to be), see if he would let you keep the nailhead Buick engine. He may not want it, and it is a later engine with a 4-bbl carb. Especially since it is not a finished engine swap, he may let you pull the engine if you'll take his offer. 'Just sayin.'

Then have a Buick person decode it and offer it separately, since you'll know what it is. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              'Sounds like you have a firm grip on the realities of the situation, Darrel. I do not know "the Studebaker person" you guys may have contacted, so there's nothing in it for me to advise you to take just about anything for the car.

Here's an idea: First, the monetary advice you've received here is pretty good. If he offers you less than you'd like to get (being realistic, here, as you guys seem to be), see if he would let you keep the nailhead Buick engine. He may not want it, and it is a later engine with a 4-bbl carb. Especially since it is not a finished engine swap, he may let you pull the engine if you'll take his offer. 'Just sayin.'

Then have a Buick person decode it and offer it separately, since you'll know what it is. BP
              Great idea, I'll keep that is mind. Any idea what the engine may be worth? $200.....$500?

Comment

Originally posted by PONCHOLOVER78 View Post
                Great idea, I'll keep that is mind. Any idea what the engine may be worth? $200.....$500?
                Not really. Check here:

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay.php?9-Da-Nailhead

They also have a swap area in that Buick V8 Board. It is very active.

You might find out how to positively identify the engine. So far, I think we've "nailed the nailhead" down to vintage 1963-1966. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A big Thank You to everyone for all the help. Much appreciated.

Comment

Well how about a pic of your 78 trans-am . I had a 78 awhile back and it was a fun car . Also had a 79 TA and a 71 Formula at one time .

Comment

No problem. Here is the 78 as it sits right now. I've owned it since July 1982. Bought it right after I graduated from High School. I sure seemed to get in alot of trouble with this one but, never managed to wreck it. Have all new NOS GM sheetmetal along with every other nos part I need to finish it. Just need to do the body and paint and alittle interior work. The motor is a 1973 Pontiac 462 (455 30 over) with 1969 heads with some mild port work which are pumping out 12.4:1 compression. It has a solid cam,roller rockers, ram air 4 tuliped,swirl polished, stainless steel valves, Edlebrock Torker II intake, Holley 750 dual line double pumper, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with 6AL ignition box with 5800 chip in it. Transmission is a built TH350 with a 2800 stall. 10 bolt posi with 3:90 gear. I have a driveshaft loop and subframe connectors on it. Runs on 112 octane racing fuel.

Here is my other pride and joy. 2002 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk Convertible. 1 of 26 red, 6 speed convertibles for 2002. 2002 was the Last of the Breed.
                      I know I got alittle carried away with all the pictures but, as you can tell I'm very proud of this one too.

Last edited by PONCHOLOVER78; 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

You are a poncholover . Nice cars ; Your 78 is way nicer then mine was . Mine was an everyday driver and was always outside . I kept it for a long time cause even though the paint was fading i did like the bird on the hood and it had the T-Top option . Wish i still had it .

Comment

Thank you! Yes, I am and I know what you mean. I will never sell either of these two birds. I sold a 1969 GTO Judge (Judge Clone) and a origianl 81 TA Bandit within a week to buy the Firehawk. Wife said I had to sell 2 or 3 cars before I could get the Hawk. It was really hard to sell the GTO but, the way I looked at it was I could always buy another GTO but, I could only buy a brand new 2002 Firebird once. So, that was my decision. I think these two are keepers and my two sons will end up with them.

Comment

Working...
                          X