Wagonaire update...Exterior done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaire update...Exterior done

I'm not as driven on this car as I have been on past ones. I work steady on it, but lots of fun distractions get in the way of really powering through it. At this point, I think I'm done with the exterior, engine and trans are in place and i'm in the process of final hook ups to make it a runner, brakes are done (Turner front, stock drums rear, dual master with power assist), suspension rebuilt, power steering rebuilt, etc. Very few mechanicals left.

I rolled the car out of the shop today and took a few pictures...

Jerry Forrester did the chrome. Here's an example of his pot metal work...

I'm much happier with a rechromed original than the "fuzzy" reproductions, PLUS it ends up being less money (CASOs rule )

Here's the engine...

I need some air cleaner ideas. I would really like to run a stock 4 barrel air cleaner, but I believe with the spacer under the Edelbrock and then the adapter that would be needed on the top of the carb, it won't clear the hood. I'd like something that looks kindasorta stock, however. A chromed one would not be in keeping with the rest of the engine compartment. I had this little aftermarket one laying around and just scuffed it and rattle canned it. It's OK, but there must be something better.

More pics here...

Slideshow
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

As always, great show, Dick!
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Is that color Corvette (classic) white?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
        Is that color Corvette (classic) white?
        Pat called it "Avanti White". The original color was "Ermine White", and I have a feeling they are identical.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Beautiful....on the air cleaner, someone posted a pic of a top made from a small Studebaker poverty hubcap. It looked totally awesome and custom.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Dick, it looks great.

I'd be hard pressed to run a custom air cleaner. With everything else pretty close to stock, anything custom just wouldn't look right.

Is there any way to lower the hood down in the front? That gap between the hood and the header panel takes away from it, IMO.

I seem to remember creating extra work for you on the Kart Hauler's hood fit, too. <grin>

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              Beautiful....on the air cleaner, someone posted a pic of a top made from a small Studebaker poverty hubcap. It looked totally awesome and custom.
              I saw that one and love it!....but I don't think it would be the right thing in this otherwise stock engine compartment. Too much bling.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                Dick, it looks great.

I'd be hard pressed to run a custom air cleaner. With everything else pretty close to stock, anything custom just wouldn't look right.

Is there any way to lower the hood down in the front? That gap between the hood and the header panel takes away from it, IMO.

I seem to remember creating extra work for you on the Kart Hauler's hood fit, too. <grin>
                I agree completely about the air cleaner. I just need to figure out something that LOOKS stock but fits under the hood.

On the hood fit. I don't have any of the latch pieces in place, so it is just sitting on the little rubber bumpers on the sides. I think it will fit fine with it latched.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

UUHHMMM WOW! looks great!
                  Orlando FLA

Comment

Dick, you don't need the spacer under the carb, just clip the lower part of the linkage hook up, an R-1 would fit and look ok and you can get the different lower base from SI, could also get an old one and paint it black so as not to look to bright...Bob
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Beautiful! I doubt many left the factory with as close attention to detail.
                      FWIW, my other '62 Hawk is Ermine White. It's that ever so slightly off-white that hardly shows dust.
                      Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

Regarding the air cleaner....what dia. was the stock Studebaker one? If it was 14" how about locating an old aftermarket air cleaner with the dropped base and mating it with the top part of the stock Stude one? Something like those old gold Moroso ones from the 80's comes to mind...those bases dropped over and down around the carb to increase air flow is what I think the claim to fame was. The wagon is really coming along and looking sharp...Regards, Junior.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          Dick, you don't need the spacer under the carb, just clip the lower part of the linkage hook up, an R-1 would fit and look ok and you can get the different lower base from SI, could also get an old one and paint it black so as not to look to bright...Bob
                          Thanks for the idea, Bob. I'll do it. Save me a stock 4 barrel air cleaner. Hopefully with just the big to small adapter on top of the carb, the stock 4 barrel air cleaner will fit under the hood.

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                          Beautiful! I doubt many left the factory with as close attention to detail.
                          FWIW, my other '62 Hawk is Ermine White. It's that ever so slightly off-white that hardly shows dust.
                          I'm going to have to get this car next to an Ermine White one. Sounds like it may be whiter than Ermine White. In any case, it's a color Studebaker SHOULD HAVE used in 63 even if they didn't

Originally posted by junior View Post
                          Regarding the air cleaner....what dia. was the stock Studebaker one? If it was 14" how about locating an old aftermarket air cleaner with the dropped base and mating it with the top part of the stock Stude one? Something like those old gold Moroso ones from the 80's comes to mind...those bases dropped over and down around the carb to increase air flow is what I think the claim to fame was.
                          Thanks Junior. I'll check out the measurements. I think the reason for the dropped base was for hood clearance...which would be a good thing in my case.
                          Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 06-10-2012, 10:06 AM.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, that car looks terrible. Send it to me so I can detail it for you. I'll give it back..........sometime!
                            Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                            1958 Commander "Christine"
                            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                            1955 Commander Sedan
                            1964 Champ
                            1960 Lark

Comment

Posted by Dick Steinkamp
                              I need some air cleaner ideas. I would really like to run a stock 4 barrel air cleaner, but I believe with the spacer under the Edelbrock and then the adapter that would be needed on the top of the carb, it won't clear the hood. I'd like something that looks kindasorta stock, however. A chromed one would not be in keeping with the rest of the engine compartment. I had this little aftermarket one laying around and just scuffed it and rattle canned it. It's OK, but there must be something better.
                              Dick

I can completely understand the reduction in enthusiasm as other things appear.

I just returned from 8 days of walleye fishing in Canada and with golf season and the grandkids sports it's getting harder to find the time and drive to keep the 74 Avanti on schedule. Having the 83 to drive just makes finishing the 74 lower on the priority list.

I agree with Junior about a low hood clearance stock type air cleaner.

Here are a couple of shots of the 74 Avanti air cleaner. If it's close, as you know, they are basically Camaro type units. This one is 15 1/2" in diameter and a mounting height of 3 3/4" above the carb. The thermo air unit could removed or a later unit found that does not have it. This will give you the stock type snorkel if you wish. The wrecking yards should have quite a few of these to chose from.

I just opened up the front third on my 83 for max air flow.

Good Luck, Bob
                              , ,

Comment

Working...
                              X