Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is this old dealership with the neat sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is this old dealership with the neat sign?

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1339222540

I took this photo about 30 some years ago. I did not record the date or location. If I recall it was on the back roads of Nebraska. Maybe someone knows the town or even what happened to the sign?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Do you recall what part of Nebraska? I've been down highway 6 from Omaha all the way through central Nebraska. There are a bunch of little unincorporated towns along that road with similar buildings, but I never recall seeing any Studebaker signs. (If I had, I'd have tried to find a legal way to purchase it!)
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

My recollection in central Nebraska maybe east central.
      Richard Quinn

Comment

'Wonderful photo, Dick; thanks.

I hope the location is identified...and better yet, that the sign and building remain. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The building next to it has a sign that might be a clue, but it's too distorted when I enlarge the picture. You might be able to play with the original a bit more. The bottom word may be lumber. If the top word is a name, you might find the business with a search.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

blowing up that photo a few times bigger might in fact make that sign more readable.

One other thing: If you have any other photos from that roll of film that were taken in the area, anything at all, look at car license plates. In Nebraska, until very recently, the entire state used the county numbering system on their plates. (Most of the state still uses this system.) Any random car with a license plate that's readable could get you to within 20 miles of that photo, give or take. If it's narrowed down that much, there are much greater chances of finding it.

Comment

Could it have been taken during the trip down to Lincoln during the Omaha International? We stopped for lunch in a little town. It could have been Ashland. Just a thought.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                Could it have been taken during the trip down to Lincoln during the Omaha International? We stopped for lunch in a little town. It could have been Ashland. Just a thought.
                Actually much before that. I am thinking in the 80s or perhaps even earlier.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Binkleman(sp) near McCook....possibly?
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1339222540

I took this photo about 30 some years ago. I did not record the date or location. If I recall it was on the back roads of Nebraska. Maybe someone knows the town or even what happened to the sign?
                    Hey; I even like that old 'funky' looking building that housed that dealership
                    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Okay, last bit of detective questioning: Do you happen to have any negatives from this film lying around? If so, the coding that's on the film would at least help peg this down the date the film was manufactured, which with the degradation rate of film, couldn't be too much prior to the time the pictures are taken (within a few years, more than likely)

If we can figure out a location to within a few dozen miles, I'd gladly buzz around the area to see if it's still there.

Comment

I haven't looked yet, but how detailed is the listing for Studebaker Dealerships in Nebraska? That might be a way to pinpoint the location.

Mr. Bill
                        Hamlet, NC

Comment

Working...
                        X