Avanti Plastic model to be re-released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Plastic model to be re-released

For Avanti fans who don't receive the Avanti (AOAI) magazine...

AMT models (now owned by Round 2 out of South Bend) is set to re-issue the classic 1/25th scale 63-64 Avanti plastic kit. It will have the "3 in 1" options of building a stock, custom or Bonneville car.

They seem to have done a proper job of it restoring the Halibrand wheels option which was deleted after the first issue. (I just received a second issue from a friend and they were replaced by Ansen mags). Also, the tires are new-tooled Goodyear Polyglas GT tires.

They got with the SNM to produce a 16 page Avanti booklet which will be included in the kit.

It will come out in July in time for the South Bend meet.

For any model historians out there, I've found the kit has been issued five times over the years:

Trophy Series 3 in 1(Original issue), Stock # 2064, 1963 (it would have to be 1963 in order for the Gene Winfield-designed "custom" square headlights to have influenced the 64 models...as the story goes to how the design was changed. It's a great story and widely accepted, but did the kit really come out that early to influence the 64s? With the redesign and parts buying, the kit would have to come out very early in 63 (if not 1962) to affect the 64s. Anyone know more?)

Modern Classics, # T-413, 1974.

Reggie Jackson Collection Series, PK-4181, 1981 (labeled as AMT/Matchbox on the box).

Prestige Series, #6872, 1989

Millennium Series, #30268, 2000.

See it here:
    http://round2models.com/models/amt/6...avanti/product
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 06-06-2012, 09:43 AM.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

AMT/Round2 model release date

The AMT/Round2 Avanti models will be released for sale in early to mid-July. We are taking pre-orders now on the AOAI website. Any orders placed now will be shipped as soon as models arrive in July.

See them here at: https://www.aoai.org/shop/product.php?productid=29
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Are the Halibrands the 1963 or 1964 style Lew?

Comment

I have an original complete Aurora Avanti model dated 1963. There was always a controversy about whether this mold set was later bought and rebranded by AMT. It's still in the original box (box is coming apart on one corner and side). Anybody have any ideas on what I might be able to get on ebay?

http://www.theavanti.net/aurora_plastics.html

Comment

AMT had a much better reputation for models than Aurora, so I'd be surprised if their (Aurora) molds were sold to them.
          The model guys on this site seem to think they're different kits. The Aurora kit had an opening trunk, which the AMT does not.
          http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/archiv...p/t-99165.html

Here's a photo of a completed Aurora kit, notice the side windows in the Up position (never have seen that in a kit before). Judging from what i can see, the AMT has more detail under the hood.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugo90/6193521162/

Value? Maybe $30 to a collector (about what older AMT kits go for)....perhaps up to $70 if you get lucky.

Aurora was better known for their airplane models but came out with kits of a few upscale cars around the time of the Avanti...the Jaguar E-Type, Cobra, Mercedes 300SL, Ferrari and Aston Martin DB-5 come to mind.
          Last edited by JBOYLE; 06-07-2012, 08:27 AM.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The Avanti and '53 Commander both were first released by AMT in 1965.

Manuel J. Martinez
            Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

headlights

will the new kit provide for building a later '64, ie: square bezels ???
              gfperry

Comment

The square bezels have been in every release to date so that probably won't change now.
                Manuel J. Martinez
                Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

I have an Aurora model that is missing the hood. Had an extra AMT hood and it would not fit. So AMT could not have used the Aurora dies.

T-cab

Comment

AMT never sold their molds. That is why they are able to reissue the model. They brought out the original molds and made them better, improving over the original model, and adding back features that were removed over the years with newer releases.

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                    AMT had a much better reputation for models than Aurora, sio I'd be surprised if their molds were sold to them.
                    The model guys on this site seem to think they're different kits. The Aurora kit had an opening trunk, which the AMT does not.
                    http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/archiv...p/t-99165.html

Here's a photo of a completed Aurora kit, notice the side windows in the Up position (never have seen that in a kit before). Judging from what i can see, the AMT has more detail under the hood.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugo90/6193521162/

Value? Maybe $30 to a collector (about what older AMT kits go for)....perhaps up to $70 if you get lucky.

Aurora was better known for their airplane models but came out with kits of a few upscale cars around the time of the Avanti...the Jaguar E-Type, Cobra, Mercedes 300SL, Ferrari and Aston Martin DB-5 come to mind.
                    Lew Schucart
                    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

The Aurora kit is very different from the AMT. If you ever have the opportunity to look into both boxes you'll know in about 5 seconds that the same molds were not used. They're different enough that models built from the two kits can be told apart at a glance. Aurora didn't really capture the body contours very well so the AMT looks more realistic at a glance. As far as overall details, each kit captures some that the other missed so it's a mixed bag but the bottom line is that the AMT builds into a more satisfyingly real appearing model.
                      Also, the AMT includes extras like different wheels, custom parts and a pretty good replica of the "R-5" Due Cento engine. The only extra in the Aurora kit is the matched luggage set but I think that's pretty cool!
                      There is a slim chance that the Aurora molds still exist and are owned by Revell-Monogram. The Avanti kit was part of a series of sports car kits that Aurora released. The series included a Jag XK-E, Maserati 3500, Aston Martin, Ferrari 250 GTO, etc. Most of those have been re-released under the Monogram name over the years but not the Avanti.
                      Last edited by mr moto; 06-07-2012, 08:27 AM.
                      Manuel J. Martinez
                      Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

Originally posted by lschuc View Post
                        AMT never sold their molds. That is why they are able to reissue the model.
                        What I (thought I) said was Aurora never sold their molds to AMT. Sorry if I misled you.
                        If Mr. Moto (and the ad he posted above that calls the kits new) is correct...that puts an end to the Gene Winfield influencing the 64s story.
                        Last edited by JBOYLE; 06-07-2012, 10:13 AM.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

There was one other version offered by AMT - between the original (a gold-ish car on the box) and the Modern Classics version. This other issue was probably from 1968/9 - it has a Purple car on the cover of the box - I have one of these in my stash - I will try to pull it out and add to this post. I believe it has the Halibrand wheels like the original kit.

The Aurora Avanti is different than the AMT Avanti. In some respects, it might be nicer, but there are things WRONG with it. The curves of the body are a bit "off". The engine and some other mechanical bits seem blocky / chunky. The AMT version has an opening hood / doors, the Aurora version has opening hood / trunk / doors. AMT's were molded in white & later, gray - with chrome and clear parts. Aurora's was in black / tan / chrome / clear.

I have a sealed Aurora, and one or more unsealed Aurora Avantis in my stash.

I have probably 100 Studes - promos / kits / resins in my collection.

Drew

Comment

Finally, an Avanti I can afford!
                            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

The 'new' release of the AMT Avanti kit is in the hobby stores in the St. Louis area this week.
                              Very cool.
                              The kit has the photo book and a Studebaker National Museum leaflet in the box.
                              This will be good for the Museum.

There is also a card board sheet that you can cut out and fold into a smaller version of the model kit box.
                              Last edited by Gary1953; 07-25-2012, 07:54 PM.
                              Gary Sanders
                              Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
                              X