Avanti Plastic model to be re-released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
    Are the Halibrands the 1963 or 1964 style Lew?
    Yes. They are in the kit.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

A PLASTIC Avanti !!! OH MY!!!!
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Maybe the SNM will have them for sale during the meet. I might go to the autoworld store in Mishawaka while I'm out there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
          Maybe the SNM will have them for sale during the meet. I might go to the autoworld store in Mishawaka while I'm out there too.
          I didn't see them there when I was there about a week ago. That dosen't mean much though. I'd like to get one.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
            Are the Halibrands the 1963 or 1964 style Lew?
            They should be this (64) style.

Comment

Are the halibrands on a separate tree? Are they plated? Just wondering, I was doing a search and this picture came up.

Comment

Yes they are on separate tree. They are chrome plated and wrapped in paper tissue.
                They look like the picture above.
                Last edited by Gary1953; 07-26-2012, 03:05 AM.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

Aurora was the world's leading producer of plastic hobby products in the 1960's. They were also king of Model Motoring HO slot cars. I have about 150 of their original Thunderjet HO slotcars, many in original boxes, plus 5 full sets. Aurora Plastics was perhaps one of the the most fun companies to ever exist. They were dismantled and sold out in 1977 after the slot car and plastic model rage subsided. I have a vintage Aurora Avanti with box/instructions and virtually every monster or Sci-Fi model they ever made (originals). I would ALWAYS choose Aurora over AMT products.
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

I bought the Kit two days ago not knowing about this thread, not realizing how new the kit was, and to answer a few questions. Yes, to the Halibrand wheels they are in there and chrome plated as mentioned above. It does include 63 and 64 headlight bezels. It is very similar to the kit I had years ago but the trophy isn't as big, but that was the Prestige kit. Price varies as I have seen them in a few stores here in Southern California for $35 down to as low as $24 which is what I paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
                      Yes they are on separate tree. They are chrome plated and wrapped in paper tissue.
                      Ok, thanks Gary!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
                        Excellent - Now I can build that resin 1964 GT Hawk with the Halibrands - without robbing an original kit!

The resin GT HAwk was from JR Heyer of New York, and is about 15-20 years old... I doubt it is still being made. Just gotta pick out a color to paint it!

Drew

Comment

Originally posted by drew72mgb View Post
                          Excellent - Now I can build that resin 1964 GT Hawk with the Halibrands - without robbing an original kit!

The resin GT HAwk was from JR Heyer of New York, and is about 15-20 years old... I doubt it is still being made. Just gotta pick out a color to paint it!

Drew
                          Nice!
                          I bought a couple of 62 resin GT Hawks a couple of years back off of ebay. I remember seeing the resin 64 GT at Newman Altman years ago during the spring meet but I didn't have the money.

Comment

I was just thinking. Does anybody know if the kit has the tri-spinners for the mags? If it doesn't i suppose you could find them in some other kit.
                            I have some that look like the kidney beans that I got in a batch of parts years ago. I think somebody was selling resin copies of them on ebay.
                            Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 07-27-2012, 10:28 AM.

Comment

The spinnere are NOT on the wheels in the new kit.
                              They are on the chrome parts tree. They will have to be glued on to the wheels.
                              Gary Sanders
                              Nixa, MO

Comment

We ordered two kits last night, after accepting our credit card and giving us an order confirmation a new screen popped up saying "sold out".

A word of wisdom, always buy two or more of any of these type of kits. One you keep sealed on display, the second one is for building. There have been many different box cover designs since the kit was first released. Some of the box cover design kits bring in a premium price to some collectors. If you find on E-bay a Renwal Visible V-8, original release, and the visible chassis you can expect to pay about $500 and up for an unbuilt sealed motor and about $600 for the chassis. Built and working figure on less.

There are people who do collect car kits, or train kits and use one, and hoard/collect the other. For 6 years running we used to pad print the doors of some AMT/Ertl promo models and they were sold at Carlisle at a premium price.

The last time I was at York I saw some HO box cars we printed with the Studebaker logo and some where the data had the word Studebaker in it. The fellow selling the cars told me he had seen the cars on E-bay for as high as $200 each. Scary
                                Last edited by bondobilly; 07-27-2012, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X