LS Motor Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS Motor Avanti

I read with interest the article by Barlow Soper in the new Turning Wheels about his planned engine swap to an all aluminum LS motor in his beautiful Avanti. If anyone has contact info for Barlow I would love to contact him to discuss his project and offer the benefit of my experience if he wants it.

Pat
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 06-01-2012, 07:00 AM.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Maybe he needs a home for the Studebaker motor he's taking out?
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

He should be in the roster.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

As beautiful and unique as his Avanti is, I wonder why he doesn't just modify the Stude engine to not be such a monster. The Chevy will enhance the handling of the car, but much of its special nature will be gone. Of course, its his car and he needs to be happy with it.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I was able to get in touch with Barlow (thanks Jon). We had a nice long conversation and his project is moving along nicely. He is getting ready install the motor and all the attachments to see how it all fits compared to his mock ups. There are more articles to come for Turning Wheels so I won't steal his thunder. To answer 52-fan's questions, his goal is to maintain the power to weight ratio he has with the beast of a Studebaker motor and have a car that is more enjoyable to drive. His car is already significantly modified with a Jaguar rear end and 5 speed trans so taking away from originality is not a significant factor. His goal is a vehicle weight of about 3100 and with 430+ hp it should be a rocket that is pleasant and fun to drive. I am looking forward to seeing the results!
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I understand his goal as he stated it in Turning Wheels. It just seems a shame that such a unique engine with one off parts would be sidelined.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
            X