life goes on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don,
    As a cancer patient battling the "Beast" for the fifth time I can assure you that I will be praying for you and your family. Please don't stop believing that miracles do happen. I am sure the Studebaker family will help your son in whatever way they can. They have been a wonderful group who have helped me realize my dream of racing at Bonneville so helping your son should be no problem. PM me if you need to talk to someone who "Gets it" as we say in the club no one wants to join.
    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by oldguy View Post
      Don't know a diplomatic, sensitive way to say this
      No need to be diplomatic, and no need to search for sensitive terms. You stated a fact that is -- in one way or another -- common to us all.

I hope for you the wisdom to finish this life knowing that you always did your best in all things. Enjoy whatever time you have left. You deserve to find reason for joy in your remaining days.

And until then, we look forward to many more updates from "oldguy", whether it be you or your son.

Peace.
      ~Matt Connor
      '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

As a cancer survivor, I know what you are going through. I was there once. Don't give up. In the words of Dylan Thomas "Rage, Rage against the dying of the light." If it hadn't been for a liver transplant a year ago, I would be gone today. I hope for the best for you, and for your son.

Comment

The worldwide Studebaker Family will help your son, we're just that kind of club it seems to me. He'll have a safe and reliable car for sure. Blessings to you.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Don..
            My heart goes out to you and your family. My son is also 21..and just learning some car stuff..

I wish the best for you and family..
            We will all be down this path..I will only hope to do with the grace and strength I read in your words..

Anything he needs he has his stude family here..

Comment

Mr. Wallace-

So sorry to hear of your illness. Inevitably we all will meet our Maker; it's the natural order of things. Your post here is inspirational to me; it shows a real man looking reality dead in the eye, bravely. That doesn't mean we don't get mad, or scared, or frustrated, or sad- it just means one is handling it with grace. It is easier for those who pass suddenly, but much harder for those left behind who loved them; one small blessing is your chance to arrange your affairs and come to peace with our loved ones.

I pray that when my time inevitably comes to go Home, I can handle it with the grace and strength you have shared here. Godspeed as you finish your journey here, and know that your memory will live on idefinitely.

Love and prayers from the Andrews family.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Life

Thank you all very much, I know my son Keaton (aka MAC) is in good hands.
                Knowing in advance has created opportunities to put daily life on hold and just enjoy each others company; not to mention reminiscing and reflecting on a truly wonderful life. The Doc's give me another month, so I've got a lot of living to do.

I'm not good about documenting a build. I'll try to add a few pics and details. I do have a journal at hotrodders.com.
                (oldguy829) If you can abide the dark side.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...age=5&reverse=

Don

Comment

So sorry to hear of your situation, your composure is an inspiration. I will try to pass along any helpful information I have learned here and try to add my own if possible.

Comment

Don , you sound like the kind of guy that we all want to meet when we go to Studebaker stuff, I'm just sorry I never got the chance.
                    I'm not good with words but Bob Andrews couldn't of said it any better.

.........wish we had met.
                    Last edited by 2R5; 05-30-2012, 09:47 AM.
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Don I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis at least you get to make the most out of your time with us. Words of wisdom recorded for your family are a great comfort. I did a lot of short videos with friends and family that we have lost . I know how much they mean to me. Any thing that we can do for you or your family we are just a written word away. Please don't hesitate to call on us in your time of need. Your Studebaker Family is ready willing and able to help.
                      Sincerely
                      Anne F. Goodman
                      Mabel 1949 Champion
                      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                      Gus 1958 Transtar
                      The Prez 1955 President State
                      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                      Fresno,Ca

Comment

We're here with you in spirit and share eternity through our common love of cars. Praying for you and your family.

SHAUN

Comment

Just looked at your photos of the progress on your 53. Outstanding bravery, is what it takes to take the torch to a 53 coupe. And the same applies to your approach to the beginning of a new life. Thoughts and prayers. Tex (an oldguy 2)
                          Last edited by Flashback; 05-30-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Recently lost my Dad to cancer--it would've been great if I'd been able to finish a project he'd started and cherish it; a reminder of something we both had together. I'm glad that you're able to share this with him.

You're in my thoughts--and of course I (and the rest of the gang here--probably more so the rest of the gang as my knowledge of things Stude is limited) will be here to help your son finish things up.
                            Dave Nevin
                            Corvallis, OR
                            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Your approach to your situation is inspiring. My late wife battled cancer for over 20 years, refusing to let it get the better of her. Her attitude kept her going strong many years beyond what we expected and she fooled many doctors. God bless you, I'm sure your son will well guided on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X