No announcement yet.

Historical Plate Hassle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same tax deal here in CT Joe, except it's 20 years old to get the plates. The only restriction on driving is from the insurance side, which is the same everywhere I think. My antique insurance allows me to drive as much as I want, but only for car related stuff.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I drive two or three thousand miles in my Hawk each year with a collector plate on the rear bumper and have never been pulled over despite driving whenever and wherever I want. I have regular license/registration on two later model vehicles so its not like I am cheating the state out of yearly license fees (I only drive one vehicle at a time afterall). If an officer ever gives me flack about it, I will give them an ear full!
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Here in Calif. they charge you more to run the YOM plates. They get enough of my money as it is so they can stick their YOM plates where the sun don't shine!

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I have had many cars that qualified for historical plates, but I never got them because I did not want the potential hassle.
          I couldn't agree more. In the summer I use my '40 as an alternate daily driver. I don't know what the price difference is between historic and regular plates, but I will always have regular plates on my classic vehicles just for that reason.
          Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 05-29-2012, 07:13 PM.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Oregon is pretty much the same as Washington. The benefit is having "period appropriate" plates and a permanent, one-time, non-recurring license fee. If you're not parked in the employee parking lot 5 days a week, there's plenty of leeway in the "restrictions". There's always a chance an overly gung-ho law officer might hassle you, but most are far too busy to worry about such things. I've run the plates for years and many miles and never been pulled over other than one guy who just wanted to get a closer look at the car. On the other hand, if they suspected you were up to no good and wanted "probable cause" to pull you over, "restricted use" plates would do it.

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
            1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
            1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Howdy all - just a fast question for those in this thread that are worried about the government "telling them" how to use their vehicles: When you get collector car insurance, there are restrictions on use and in may cases storage. Is a private industry/insurance businesses telling you to restrict usage of your car really that much different than the government restrictions on historical (YOM) plates? Just askin...Bob

(Frankly, I have never had a problem being stopped or questioned about my MI YOM plates and I really like the registration $$$ savings)

Comment

Most of the state/provincial historic motor vehicle license plate laws now in force were originally drafted in the 1970s, though many have been amended since then. Before we bemoan the restrictions they impose on our driving, we should remember that they were written to take advantage of then-current exemptions to Federal regs that would have required all vehicles to meet certain safety and emissions standards – unless registered with limited use historic plates. The only way old cars could have met these standards would have been through retrofitting such items as catalytic converters, PCVs and other hardware. Many older vehicles could not have been brought into compliance under any circumstances and would have been prohibited from being operated on the public highways. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and these draconian measures were all defeated – but we didn’t know that at the time.

I was one of a group of people who lobbied hard to get the exemptions for vehicles with historic plates. States were authorized to allow reasonable use as long as the vehicle wasn’t used regularly. I also wrote the DC historic motor vehicle license plate law in 1977, and at that time, had copies of most of the then-current or being drafted laws from most of the US states. The Federal regs also permitted historic vehicles to be exempt from both safety and emissions inspections, and any laws that might require the installation of safety equipment like seat belts, and most state laws did exactly that. In addition, in most states, historic plates are much cheaper than regular plates. In the years since then, many states have added additional classes of historic plates and further liberalized usage restrictions. In addition, Federal emission standards have been tightened on new cars, and the contribution of old cars to air pollution is no longer the issue it was 30 years ago. The restrictions on historic plates may seem unfair, but any one unhappy with them can always go back to registering their vehicle with regular plates, and suffer whatever penalties (cost, inspection, etc) that requires.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

MO Plates

I experienced the same hassle with Historical plates here in Missouri, and ended up purchasing '57 MO Plates - the same year of the Hawk. I don't get stopped by State Police anymore, but have the paperwork in the glove compartment just in case.
                  Attached Files
                  Curt Devan
                  Kirksville, MO

Editor, Mid Missouri Chapter Newsletter "Studie News"
                  sigpic

Comment

Sounds to me like some officer just got a bug in his cap.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

A vehicle licensed with Historical/Vintage license plates may be used for test drives, parades and hobby-related activities. Vehicles registered with Historical/Vintage license plates may not be used for normal transportation to and from work, driven on a daily basis, used for hire or used for a commercial business. At special events that are sponsored by or participated in by organized clubs, vehicles licensed with Historical/Vintage license plates may transport passengers for hire only if any money received is to be used for club activities or to be donated to a charitable nonprofit organization and to haul other vehicles to and from such special events.Applicants applying for Historical/Vintage plates must own one or more additional vehicles that are currently registered in the State of Nebraska. If the vehicle used for regular transportation is titled in the name of a company, proof that the applicant is owner of that company will be required.
                      The following must be submitted with your application for Historical/Vintage plates:
                       Proof of payment of sales tax or an old registration;
                       Proof of insurance (must be presented each time any type of transaction is requested). Insurance card must be an ORIGINAL and must be in compliance with Nebraska Department of Insurance guidelines (Insurance must be kept current);
                       License plates and registration if the Historical vehicle is currently registered. (Note: There is no refund of registration fees and taxes when the owner of an Historical vehicle elects to replace their county issued license plates with Historical plates.)
                       Appropriate fees (see below).
                      HISTORICAL/VINTAGE PLATE FEES
                      (Historical Plates Are Non-Expiring)
                      First Historical Vehicle......................................$70.10
                      First Historical Motorcycle ...............................$66.80
                      First Vintage Vehicle .........................................$88.50
                      First Vintage Motorcycle...................................$88.50
                      Second Historical Vehicle..................................$60.10
                      Second Historical Motorcycle ...........................$56.80
                      Second Vintage Vehicle .....................................$78.50
                      Second Vintage Motorcycle...............................$78.50
                      (Additional Historical/Vintage vehicle fees are $10.00 less than the First vehicle)
                      Transfer Fee .......................................................$28.50
                      If you sell your Historical vehicle and wish to transfer the plate to another historical vehicle owned by you, fee must accompany completed application and old registration from sold vehicle along with proof of insurance

Comment

I run with antique plates and YOM tags on our Lark and havent been hassled at all. I keep a copy of the law in the glove box just in case I get pulled over.

There are enough loopholes in the restrictions that you can get away with driving it, "I just put new whatchamacallits on it and need to make sure they are working properly before this weekends trip to the show."

http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

The whole concept of these plates was to provide relief for Old Cars. Old Cars "then" we're basically like a Model A or Model T. Now...we have these plates on a 25 year old 1987 Corvette. I disagree with this onward progressing 25 year qualification and would prefer to see 1967 as the "upper cutoff", using this date as the us auto law changer began a government mandated period during which auto "interestingness" has faded. Also 1968 can signal the beginning of the era during which imports began to take great share of the us market.

Comment

Lifted from 2R10jim's post.....

"A vehicle licensed with Historical/Vintage license plates may be used for test drives," There's your "out" right there. ANY drive can/could be a test drive! One or more passengers with you? - checking to see that those new shocks do the job, officer!
                            Test driving after dark? "Trying to see if I've fixed that intermittent problem with the headlights, officer!"
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by S2DSteve View Post
                              Oregon is pretty much the same as Washington. The benefit is having "period appropriate" plates and a permanent, one-time, non-recurring license fee. If you're not parked in the employee parking lot 5 days a week, there's plenty of leeway in the "restrictions". There's always a chance an overly gung-ho law officer might hassle you, but most are far too busy to worry about such things.
                              I agree. I've never had any trouble at all, as you say most police guys are too busy to bother.

For me the nice thing about historic plates is not having to put a front one on the car...a huge handicap on an Avanti (and the Bearcat for that matter).
                              The fact it's a one-time cost is very secondary to me. Heck, I'd pay extra NOT to have a front plate (but don't tell them that ).

In fact on the Bearcat I have a replica 1914 New Mexico plate, when driving I cover it with my legal Washington Horseless Carriage plate. After shows, I've forgotten to put it on and I've driven for awhile with the NM plate. Again, no one has ever stopped me or noticed. Same with no turn signals or visable seat belts on the Bearcat.

The only time I ever got pulled over by a cop for plates is when I had a "P-51" plate on a Mustang. I was asked by a cop if I owned one. I was tempted to say.."If I could afford a P-51 Mustang, I'd have a better car than this."

If I'm going to worry about legalities, the use limitiations on my classic car insurance are potentially much more serious. If I'm out driving for fun but not enroute to a show and have a mishap, some over zealous insurance guy could give me a hard time if he wanted to.
                              Last edited by JBOYLE; 05-30-2012, 08:21 AM.
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by cdevan View Post
                                I experienced the same hassle with Historical plates here in Missouri, and ended up purchasing '57 MO Plates - the same year of the Hawk. I don't get stopped by State Police anymore, but have the paperwork in the glove compartment just in case.
                                Exactly -- I would rather run original year plates than "historical" plates, and plan to eventually -- and yes, insurance companies may have mileage limits and so on, but I understood the original post was about the time of day being what the officer was hassling him about. That is what I would never sign up for -- not being able to drive my classic car at night if I feel like it.
                                sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                                Regal Deluxe Trim
                                Automatic transmission
                                46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
                                X