52 Champion front drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Champion front drums

Anyone out here know where I can find a pair of good used brake drums for my 52 Champion? My originals are getting real thin. TY
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

As a very last resort the Desert Valley Auto Parts has several 52 Champion parts cars, her is a link: http://www.dvap.com/parts/SearchForm...oSearch=Search and yes I know the description says they are Commanders, having seen them in person I can tell you they are Champions. This is part of why these are last resort sources.

Comment

Do you know if they are the same as a 52 commander hard top,...?
      If so I think I still have mine somewhere.

Dean.

Comment

Dean I'm not for sure , but I'd bet your's are larger with the V-8. If anyone knows for sure would you let us know. TY
        1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

For what it is worth the 51-54 Chassis Parts Cat lists part numbers 529120 (R)/529121 (L)(HUB and DRUM) for 10G, 12G, 14G, 15G and 529118(R)/529119 (L) (HUB and DRUM) for H, 3H, 4H, 5H models. Plus two other part numbers for a variation on the 5H model.

Comment

I never thought anyone else but me read the parts books.

The 54 drums are not the same as the 51-53 drums, though. In 54, Studebaker went to self energizing brakes and the drums changed.

Basically, the 51-53 Champions all take the same drum. The 51-53 Commanders take a different front drum than the Champions.

The rear drums are the same on all 51-53 Studebaker cars, regardless of whether they are Champions or Commanders.

What I did on my 51 Champion starlight coupe was to put 51-53 Commander brakes on the front. They work great and are just like real brakes. Basically you have to change the drums, backing plates and everything inside the front brakes, but it's all bolt-on. No special tools are required and the increased braking does wonders for one's peace of mind.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-27-2012, 09:54 AM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I probably have used ones here. I know I DO HAVE a pair of NOS front drums for 51-53 Commanders if anyone's interested. $100 buys the pair, plus shipping method of your choice.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Radio Roy that is really good info. I buzz around in the Champion at 65mph on the highway and the brakes are not sufficent to stop it in emergencys. I figure I'd just ram hell out of whomever got in the way. You just made me decide to change over to better brakes. THKS

Comment

I think I have a set off a 51 Champion. We replaced them on my son's starlight with a set from a V8 Lark. I also have a set from a 53 that recieved a Turner disk set up. If you still want them I'll make sure they are OK, but I reccomend up gradeing to V8 brakes. Like RR said ,it's all bolt on, but you must change everything from the backing plates out.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

I have a set for 1953. I just sold the fronts drums from a 1952 champion to a guy in modesto for a 1952 champion.

Comment

Cool so if I have mine are you interested ?

Dean.

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      I never thought anyone else but me read the parts books.

The 54 drums are not the same as the 51-53 drums, though. In 54, Studebaker went to self energizing brakes and the drums changed.

Basically, the 51-53 Champions all take the same drum. The 51-53 Commanders take a different front drum than the Champions.

The rear drums are the same on all 51-53 Studebaker cars, regardless of whether they are Champions or Commanders.

What I did on my 51 Champion starlight coupe was to put 51-53 Commander brakes on the front. They work great and are just like real brakes. Basically you have to change the drums, backing plates and everything inside the front brakes, but it's all bolt-on. No special tools are required and the increased braking does wonders for one's peace of mind.

Comment

Just to make it crystal clear... To change a 51-53 Champion to 51-53 Commander brakes, you must change the entire front brake system - backing plates, shoes, springs, drums, cylinders. It's a simple bolt - on, but you have to change more than just the drums.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Yes, but I would go with a later set up if I could find it. The star wheel adjuster in stead of the cam type, But that's just me
                          Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                          Just to make it crystal clear... To change a 51-53 Champion to 51-53 Commander brakes, you must change the entire front brake system - backing plates, shoes, springs, drums, cylinders. It's a simple bolt - on, but you have to change more than just the drums.
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

I have the entire set up for a commander. Email me.

Comment

52 Champion brakes

Roy, hello, you made mention you had a brake set up from a Commander. What kind of money are you looking to get? thanks,Pat

Originally posted by royvaldez View Post
                              I have the entire set up for a commander. Email me.

Comment

Working...
                              X