Value of Studebaker signs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of Studebaker signs?

I have not followed the value of Studebaker dealer signs since I was outbid on a Studebaker Batteries sign years ago. What are fair values now days for (1) lighted Studebaker Batteries sign, (2) lighted two-sided Champ pickup sign, and (3) round (24-30"), two sided Authorized Studebaker Service sign? I think it's steel/porcelain, but didn't see it up close. Could it be a reproduction?
    Thanks.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

There are several repro signs out there.... (Especially the round 'Authorized Studebaker Service' sign)
    But you can spot them fairly easy, usually by the finish, and the font.
    The repro's aren't quite 'right' (as compared to a vintage sign).
    Not to say they aren't nice, or anything.....
    I have a repro vertical dealer sign that is in the shop.
    Way more affordable than a multi thousand dollar original.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The original signs are usually a little faded and damaged. You can also verify them by the name of the company that made them being on the bottom of the sign.

Comment

I have a two sided pocelain, neon Studebaker sign that is 12'6" tall and 2' wide and was made by Mt. Vernon Neon. The sign was from one of the local South Bend Dealers but not sure which one, didn't realize there were three so didn't ask when I got it. Anyone have any pictures of the local dealerships with any signage like this or know about what it's worth. Would like to know for sure which one it came from. It still has original neon and only a few chips in porcelain.

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
          I have not followed the value of Studebaker dealer signs since I was outbid on a Studebaker Batteries sign years ago. What are fair values now days for (1) lighted Studebaker Batteries sign, (2) lighted two-sided Champ pickup sign, and (3) round (24-30"), two sided Authorized Studebaker Service sign? I think it's steel/porcelain, but didn't see it up close. Could it be a reproduction?
          Thanks.
          LOVE to have that CHAMP sign but........
          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I have a two sided Champ sign that has a light bulb inside to illuminate it. It is made from very thin plastic and has gotten brittle with age.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
              I have a two sided Champ sign that has a light bulb inside to illuminate it. It is made from very thin plastic and has gotten brittle with age.
              You might take it to a local sign shop, they might be able to use the existing plastic as a mold for a new piece. Yes, it wouldn't be original, but better than the old plastic eventually cracking into nothing.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
                I have a two sided pocelain, neon Studebaker sign that is 12'6" tall and 2' wide and was made by Mt. Vernon Neon. The sign was from one of the local South Bend Dealers but not sure which one, didn't realize there were three so didn't ask when I got it. Anyone have any pictures of the local dealerships with any signage like this or know about what it's worth. Would like to know for sure which one it came from. It still has original neon and only a few chips in porcelain.
                Tim,
                I know the sign you are talking about and I know that a similar one used to be on the front of the dealership on Lincoln Way in Mishawaka. There is a photo of that dealership hanging outside the club room at the SNM.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Thanks Chris, I got it at an old sign shop in Mishawaka. I think that would have been Brook Motors then.

Comment

Those Champ plastic signs all seem to have a crack or a hunk out of them ....too bad because they are so nice....would like to have one myself.
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I have sold original dealership signs for $40 to $1K.
                      That is too small to be an original Studebaker Authorized Service sign.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The repro signs aren't two sided
                        TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Oh but there is a repro that is 2 sided .....but its smaller than the original it copys , but its a very good repro. I've seen a couple on ebay but not for some time now.
                          Last edited by 2R5; 05-27-2012, 02:23 PM.
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                            Those Champ plastic signs all seem to have a crack or a hunk out of them ....too bad because they are so nice....would like to have one myself.
                            This one is intact, but does have a cracked area on one face. So what is it worth?
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

As the old saying goes "It's worth what the buyer and seller agree on."
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X