No announcement yet.

Original Excalibur SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night's cruise night in Frankfort IL had an Excalibur participating. It was a good 20 footer. Getting up close brought a lots of warts to the surface, like the white top being painted with what looked like latex paint.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

plwindish, of course, what you saw has very little in common with the original Stude SS nor any of the three versions of Series 1 cars. Excalibur's "evolution" reminds me of what happened with Thunderbirds.

Comment

I knew I'd seen this in the past and just relocated it. It is apropos to all the talk here and elsewhere about Stude-engined Excalibur prototypes in _____________ (you fill in the blank), multiple factory Stude-engined prototypes, etc., etc. It is a forum post directly from Alice Preston to an Excalibur dedicated but "restricted group" at yahoo. For those who do not know, Alice is the owner of Camelot Motors/Excalibur Cars--YES, that Excalibur company; it's still there. Alice worked at the company from the get-go.

"I have the only prototype we built here at my place it is still owned by the Stevens Family.
        I have seen that bogus car advertised a few times and there are 2 I think that are out there one poor guy bought one and now he is trying to sell it the same way of course.
        Alice"

Thank you, Alice... 'nough said.
        Last edited by Xcalibur; 09-02-2013, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
          I knew I'd seen this in the past and just relocated it. It is apropos to all the talk here and elsewhere about Stude-engined Excalibur prototypes in _____________ (you fill in the blank), multiple factory Stude-engined prototypes, etc., etc. It is a forum post directly from Alice Preston to an Excalibur dedicated but "restricted group" at yahoo. For those who do not know, Alice is the owner of Camelot Motors/Excalibur Cars--YES, that Excalibur company; it's still there. Alice worked at the company from the get-go.

"I have the only prototype we built here at my place it is still owned by the Stevens Family.
          I have seen that bogus car advertised a few times and there are 2 I think that are out there one poor guy bought one and now he is trying to sell it the same way of course.
          Alice"

Thank you, Alice... 'nough said.
          Not exactly....

I am not sure of which 'bogus' cars Ms Preston is referring too. There are one or two 'home built' Excaliburs out there with Studebaker engines. One was featured in the Avanti owners club newsletter in the late eighties. I cant imagine someone seriously claiming that these were the original Brooks Stevens prototypes, or even that they were factory built Studebaker engined cars since they had obvious differences to any Series I roadster.

The car formerly owned by Lionel Stone, which now lives in Australia, shows no evidence of being anything other than a very early production, no-door Series I roadster. It is fitted with (and appears to always have been) a 1964 R2 JTS engine. I examined this car closely before it was restored and I could not find anything that suggested otherwise. Keep in mind that there were lots of differences between the first few cars built, example: they changed the bumper bracket design 3 times!

While there was only ever one true aluminum bodied prototype, know one knows how many Studebaker engines actually made it into production fiberglass bodied cars, including Alice Preston herself. She is well aware of the Australian car and could not depute its authenticity. If there was ever a second Studebaker powered Excalibur built, this is probably it!

Chris.

Comment

Be that as it may, stude dude, it is well documented that Brooks Stevens himself said that THEY built one and only one Excalibur with a Studebaker engine. Also, Alice/Excalibur has the production/delivery records for every car they built--apparently none of those specified a Studebaker engine, either.

I've no doubt whatsoever that other people have put Stude engines in early ones (as in Avanti IIs), and yes I'm well aware of the "uniquenesses" of many of the Series 1s. I have looked at no small number of them at various times over more than 3 1/2 decades. (the first I saw and sat in was a 1965 in 1966 that belonged to the dad of a fellow college student)

Btw, just because a car gives every impression of being a "factory" product, doesn't make it so... the entire "phantom" hot rod genre is based on making cars that the factory could have made (and, perhaps, should have made...) but didn't. All the best.

Comment

That is a very true point and well taken....but it is at odd with statements made previously by Alice Preston herself. I wasn't aware of Brooks Stevens making that statement. I would be interested to hear more about that....

The current owner of the Excalubur here in Brisbane has tried to get production information from Camalot but there does seem to be some 'grey areas' with early cars. The only thing we could verify was the number of 'no-door' cars built which narrowed down the search to one out of eleven cars. This is ongoing so who knows what will be found!

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                I've no doubt whatsoever that other people have put Stude engines in early ones (as in Avanti IIs), and yes I'm well aware of the "uniquenesses" of many of the Series 1s. I have looked at no small number of them at various times over more than 3 1/2 decades. (the first I saw and sat in was a 1965 in 1966 that belonged to the dad of a fellow college student)

Btw, just because a car gives every impression of being a "factory" product, doesn't make it so... the entire "phantom" hot rod genre is based on making cars that the factory could have made (and, perhaps, should have made...) but didn't. All the best.
                I'm sure many have seen Steve Hinshaw's well known "Studebaker SS" that he made back in the early eighties sometime.

Craig

Comment

I do not remember asking Brooks about this, but I think that he stated that there was only one Studebaker powered Excalibur at some talk that he gave where I was in attendance. I do remember talking to the son that was in charge of manufacturing, probably in the 1970s, about only the first/prototype car having a Studebaker engine.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X