Original Excalibur SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Excalibur SS

Does anyone happen to know if the original Excalibur SS (Stude powered) survives, and if so it's
    present location? Was only one Stude engined model built? Did that vehicle have a Studebaker-
    like serial # (ID) plate?

Lional Stone had it about 5 years ago. Don't know what happened to it since.

Comment

Here is the SS show car with R2. This picture was taken in the Brooks Stevens Museum at the time. Not sure what happened to it.

Also, check out this one being restored:

http://sleepingbeauties.com.au/1964excalibur2.html
      Attached Files
      Last edited by StudeMichael; 05-26-2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Was it really that fast? 0 to 100 in 6 seconds.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I had a girl friend when I was a wee lad, whose father had a series one Excaliber. She was 13, and I was 9. (cougar).
          I remember a very spirited drive one Sunday, to go on a river tubing trip, and picnic with her family.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
            Also, check out this one being restored: http://sleepingbeauties.com.au/1964excalibur2.html
            Most Excalibur histories say that only the first one had the Studebaker R2, and all subsequent Series 1 cars used Chevy engines. If this is truly the case, has the car pictured on the Sleeping Beauties website been modified by adding the Studebaker engine? Or were there actually more than one Studebaker powered Excalibur Series 1 built?
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

The photos I've seen of the first one wasn't called Excalibur...it was called (and had name plates) Studebaker SS.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Another link:

http://www.sleepingbeauties.com.au/1...aliburxxx.html

Comment

I think you could buy it as a kit and build your own, one of our chapter member has one and it is R-2 and power shift I think, almost made a deal with him 2 years ago for a trade but he backed down at the last minute,
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Last time I saw it in person was in 1988: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=excalibur

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      Lional Stone had it about 5 years ago. Don't know what happened to it since.
                      Alan; I doubt seriously that Lionel ever had the original Excalibur car. Could you be thinking of another car?
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Loinels car was sold to my father in 1997. It has been in Australia ever since and was professionally restored last year. It is a very early 'no door roadster' and has an R2 engine but it is not the original Brooks Stevens prototype. There was no serial number on the car when it arrived so one was created with the assistance of Alice Preston or Camelot Cars (Excalibur).

Chris.

Comment

We seem to know very little about the early Studebaker SS history when it comes to how many were made with Avanti engines. It is a given that a lot of the series 1 Roasdsters were built with Daytona convertible frames and GT Hawk guages. MY guess is that about 10 were built with R2 Avanti engines.
                          Last edited by StudeMichael; 06-19-2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

FWIW, the manufacturer's website, http://www.excaliburclassics.com/story.html is a very interesting read. Here's an excerpt from it on the number of Studebaker-engined Excaliburs built:
                            'Listen guys, I don't give a damn about your Studebaker chassis because nobody can see it and the maker's name isn't stamped on it. The problem is that I can't sell cars powered by Studebaker engines from a showroom that's on the ground floor of the General Motors building. The director's office is on the top floor and one day they're going to stop off at my showroom out of curiosity on their way to lunch and I'm going to have my ass kicked. Couldn't you put a Chevrolet engine in it?' Of course we could...and our first Excalibur turned out to be the one and only one with a Studebaker engine; all subsequent machines received Chevrolet power!"
                            jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Like I stated in my last post a friend and his dad build one back in the 60's and it has a GT frame , I have some pictures of it if I can find and post also some place here I have a full list of all the Excaliburs build it was given to me by Brooks Stevens himself back in Augest just before he passed away, I spent over an hour in his office just talking about Studebakers and the Excaliburs and he also signed a large number of items for me, I still have a few since I give them to the chapter when ever we have a raffle that way others can get one and enjoy them as much as I have, That hour with Mr Stevens was a highlight time for me he was in his wheel chair and very friendly he also told me a lot of things and one was he and Raymond Lowey we not friends.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X