Death of a cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of a cruise

One of my favorite cruises is starting to die out. One of the local eateries in Cleveland has a car cruise every Tuesday evening. I loved taking the 62 Cruiser there, park next to the DJ, eat dinner and listen to the music and meet new friends. The last two weeks I have noticed that the cruise is being taken over by modern cars. I arrived after work and had to park in the back, in front of another car, they were so packed. I took a walk after parking the Stude and counted twenty five modern Vettes and Camaros, not one was over ten years old. I am parked in front of a 2009 Vette, the guy looked at me like he smelled something bad. I sat down and started to chat with a couple next to me, they had a 1971 T-Bird Two door hardtop. After fifteen minutes, Vette guy said, "hey buddy, I need to move." I got up, pulled the Stude out, he left and another new vette pulled in. I had to park in front of him. After thirty minutes, same thing. he had to leave. I just went home after that. I am hearing that alot of old car owners are not going to go back, because there is no place to put their cars. I just wanted to hear some opinions.

You need to get together with the other 'old car owners' and have your own cruise night. Maybe you can have it at the same eatery but on a different night or find a different eatery to have it on Tuesday night.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
      You need to get together with the other 'old car owners' and have your own cruise night. Maybe you can have it at the same eatery but on a different night or find a different eatery to have it on Tuesday night.
      fortuntaly my church has a cruise night on Thursday, we average 275 cars a night. Our lot is big enough to handle all makes.

Comment

We've lost several cruises in my area over the last several years. Biggest problem is the young guys in the Camaros and Mustangs who cannot leave the parking lot unless the rear tires are smoking. Thing is the local police find it easier to shut down the cruise rather than police the offenders.

Bob
        Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

This is happening to some cruise nights out here in Arizona as well. One popular one that I normally attended is mostlly new Dodge Chargers & Challengers, New Camaro's, New Mustangs etc. Most of the old car guys have moved to a different show.

Denny L

Comment

If one wants to see new Mustangs,Challengers and Camaros stop at your friendly local dealer, their lots are full of them and the lot is less congested too! <GGG>
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Same thing is happening in my city...although our car shows are not over-run with new cars, I just don't get why owners want to park their ride with classic cars-hot rods-trad rods-even rice rockets...if you can walk into a dealer and purchase the car, then whats so special about it that you would want to 'show-it'? What really bugs me is our local season opening show and shine called 'Spring Thaw'... (put on by a local classic Ford car club) fills up fast. If you want to enter the show, you have to be there early, and many classic cars are turned away because the venue is full, with many new Vettes, Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers taking up taking up what should be 'classic car' real estate. I don't get why these cars are invited when there is more than enough classic cars to fill the lot. Regarding young kids lighting up their new Camaro's tires, I find that it is more likely guys (in their 50's) who are doing this because they can now afford these cars, and are too lame to build their own tire-burning rides. Regards, Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by S_Ferrell View Post
                fortuntaly my church has a cruise night on Thursday, we average 275 cars a night. Our lot is big enough to handle all makes.
                Great idea, unused lot on a Thursday night. I'm a fan of the "soft sell" and I can't imagine many churches being upset y an event...providing no litter, burnouts, etc.

There are cruises every night of the week in town, sometimes two a night in different parts of town.
                One of the ones near me is at a drive-in, but the formerly empty building next door has been leased to a big local electronics shop, so 90% of the parking went away.
                And the pawn shop next door to the electronics shop has surly rent-a-cops kicking you out if you're not there for them.

But the Shakey's Pizza down the street has a growing cruise night...with 15% off your meal if you bring a car. Can't beat that.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Reminds me of the Yogi Berra quote "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." I am actually happy to see the car hobby carrying on. Back in the 60s and 70s, the guys with the pre-war cars resented us with the muscle cars. Our cars weren't really classics, but we sure had fun with them and liked to meet up with others who had them. The businesses have cruise nights to bring people in, if more are coming with new cars it would be tough to turn them away. Sounds like there is room for more cruise night venues or nights.
                  Last edited by Pat Dilling; 05-27-2012, 06:56 AM.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Sounds to me like "Cruise Night" is mini "Car Show" night.
                    You don't need a parking spot if you are cruising!
                    Good Roads
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                      Same thing is happening in my city...although our car shows are not over-run with new cars, I just don't get why owners want to park their ride with classic cars-hot rods-trad rods-even rice rockets...
                      The biggest joke at that show this year was not the modern muscle cars, but that rusty 1984 Pontiac T-1000 4-door with 'Antique' plates on it. That thing put the quality of the show to a new low!

Craig

Comment

Yeah, it's getting that way here in Pa too! The boys with their just off the dealer lot toys need someone to notice them. While those of us with the wallflowers take a back seat.
                        What's a Studebaker??????
                        JS
                        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

True- with enough money anyone can buy a new Bugatti. They will make all they can sell. But there are only so many Studebakers left!!

Comment

The think to do is start a cuise night or car show and put limits on the year of the cars that can enter. Some of the local shows cut them off at 64. And some are open.

Comment

It's a new generation fellas. We should be happy that there are still "car crazy" guys out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X