No announcement yet.

The Least Enjoyable Part Of Driving A Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rich, I had a shiny new chrome cap, supposedly vented, on there. I also have what may be the original cap, the one with two wings. It is marked "Pressure" and "Vacuum" but I'm not sure if it's vented or not. Maybe I should buy a new, correct cap from one of the parts vendors just to be sure.
    Rick
    Kingman, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
      My 2R15 suffers from vapor lock/ fuel boiling anytime the temperature is 80 or higher. So I installed a new fuel filter with a return line to the tank filler pipe. Took it out for a test yesterday and it started right away several times. But, it was only in the low 70's at that time. It seems like it built up a lot of pressure in the tank because it "whooshed" really heavy when I took the gas cap off. Going to have to wait a couple of days for the temperature to get back into the 90's before I can do any more testing.
      THe return line will help some. When you do a hot restart after 15+ minutes of sitting, it will still crank awhile because of gas boil in the carb, but the vapor in the lines will clear out a lot faster. This allows you to drive away sooner, rather than waiting 2-5 minutes for the fuel starvation-like symptoms to go away.

The gas cap needs to vent BOTH ways. Easiest way to insure that is to take a box cutter and cut a tiny slit across the gasket surface. Cut it twice, to form a tiny 'V' all the way across the surface. You will smell a little gas after top off if you make any hard right turns for awhile, but that's about it. It may stink, but it won't actually lose a teaspoon of gas on those turns.

Joe H

Comment

BUGS (Short and Sweet)
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Cut out a square piece of metal about 4"x4" out of thin gauge stock. Drill the center of it to the shape of the intake manifold and carb so you can bolt the plate in between the carb and manifold. Also wrap the fuel line in anti heat wrap. I learned this from a '58 Scotsman...
          (thank you Captain Hook...)
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

The electric fuel pump mounted on the frame by the gas tank works for me. No vapor lock.

As far as the worst thing about driving my car... the other drivers! Plus, the brakes. They are in perfect shape, right up to late 50's standards.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Ripping apart the Motor mounts has been a problem for me. Putting that egg under the gas pedal worked great.
              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

As much as I love driving my Stude, I too have things I don't enjoy.

One being when someone talks to me about the car in a parking lot, they'll stop in the middle of the conversation and tell me that I'm too young to have a Studebaker. I didn't know there was an age limit. By my thinking, most men stay about 15 years old though our bodies age.

The other is trying to get it up to mechanical reliability. Two things went out just yesterday; the fan and the starter. Sometimes I think that having a classic as a daily driver (or trying to) is like having a B.O.A.T. (Break Out Another Thousand) *grin*

Comment

Lack of a/c, fuel gauge not working, stalling and then not being able to start it due to that electrical demon I'm chasing, and the girl at the car show that said my hubcaps were old Caddy ones. Can't forget parts availability. Or rust. Luckily all of this is fixable (except the girl).

Comment

Rich was right about the vented gas cap. Bought one that said "Vented" and it sucked the tank in. I put a spike right through the middle of it, so I'm sure it is now vented
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                      Ripping apart the Motor mounts has been a problem for me. Putting that egg under the gas pedal worked great.
                      On V8s (only had one six cyll anyway) I have always installed a small safety chain on the driver's side, from the exhaust bolt just above the motor mount, down to the frame stand the mount rest on. Allow just enough slack so the chain will tighten up as soon as the motor starts to lift. If the chain does not have a little slack it will cause excess vibration, but it only needs a little. With the chain in place, the motor mount will never separate due to the engine trying to raise up under load.

Comment

And, of course, the front fender rust. And rust under those add-on fins on Hawk and sedan models.

But what car is?

John

Comment

I've had a seven driveable Studebakers over 50 years, including one new one, and can not ever remember having a vapor lock problem. Just lucky, I guess.
                          I believe "The Least Enjoyable Part Of Driving A Studebaker" Is that other driver on the road. I drive my 50 about 1500 miles a year and am always on extra alert.

Dick
                          Mountain Home, AR
                          http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 50starlite View Post
                            I've had a seven driveable Studebakers over 50 years, including one new one, and can not ever remember having a vapor lock problem. Just lucky, I guess.
                            I believe "The Least Enjoyable Part Of Driving A Studebaker" Is that other driver on the road. I drive my 50 about 1500 miles a year and am always on extra alert.
                            Isn't that the truth, you have to be extra vigilant when there are other drivers on the road. I feel the same way.
                            sigpic
                            1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Working...
                            X