I vs. 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I vs. 1

I am in the process of buying a Studebaker. Somewhere along the way, a 1 in the Serial Number (VIN) got replaced with an I. I can see how this happened - because of Studebaker's use of an I for a 1 on the stamped S/N plate.

My question is: How do I get this changed back from an I to the correct 1 (NYS)? What documentation supports this requested change?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Studegary,

I purchased my first Studebaker 7 months ago and that was the way that Studebaker listed their Ones. I would not change the plate if it was mine. That is what makes it original.

Comment

Geez, that sounds like a bucket full of "more trouble than it's worth". Is there any reason you need to change the title? I mean, 99.95% of all DMV's out there will probably give you LESS trouble, since it does match the serial plate.
      Last edited by JimC; 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM.
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        My question is: How do I get this changed back from an I to the correct 1 (NYS)? What documentation supports this requested change?
        Why bother? And think of the trouble you could possibly incite doing so. Some young rookie cop may actually place your documents against the serial number plate on a random check, and he or she could easily impound your car because the numbers don't match exactly. Would it be worth your inconvenience?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by jmt View Post
          Studegary,

I purchased my first Studebaker 7 months ago and that was the way that Studebaker listed their Ones. I would not change the plate if it was mine. That is what makes it original.
          I know that Studebaker used an I for a 1 (I have owned more than 50).
          I do not want to "...change the plate...". I want to change the paperwork to make it correct.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
            Geez, that sounds like a bucket full of "more trouble than it's worth". Is there any reason you need to change the title? I mean, 99.95% of all DMV's out there will probably give you LESS trouble, since it does match the serial plate.
            It is a high dollar car (for a postwar Studebaker) and I would like for it to be correct (it also bothers me).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary,

What do you know of its history; any chance that you can run the title history backwards to where the "mistake" was first made?
              Failing that, I'd be tempted to approach your state motor vehicle folks with all of the affidavits from experts and other support that I could find.
              Failing that (at least in Missouri) I'd consider filing a declaratory judgment lawsuit asking the Judge to order DMV to make the "correction" on your title.

By the way, do the SNM build sheets include the engine number? If so, and if your engine is still the original, that may help convince them.

Comment

Since it is a post war car the best way to "convience" the authorities would be to get a copy of the build sheet from the Museum - that would have the body and engine # and if you could get them to send you a note stating that on the tag Studebaker used a I for a 1. They have the orginal build information and it would seem to me that it would be be "proof" of what the Studebaker intended the serial # to be.

Comment

I had a similar problem on my 63.I got a form from the DMV,filled it out and the local police come and checked the number,back to DMV and that took care of it.

Comment

If you lived in PA it would be a simple matter of filling out a title correction form, and possibly $10.
                    Rather than ask the forum, why not ask your NY DMV?
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bates View Post
                      I had a similar problem on my 63.I got a form from the DMV,filled it out and the local police come and checked the number,back to DMV and that took care of it.
                      The problem with that is that the young police officer will look at the S/N plate and say that it is an I, not a 1.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                        If you lived in PA it would be a simple matter of filling out a title correction form, and possibly $10.
                        Rather than ask the forum, why not ask your NY DMV?
                        I plan on asking the NYS DMV when I can get to them when they are open (next Tuesday, at the earliest). In the meantime, I thought that I would ask on the Forum to see if others had suggestions or experience along these lines.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary, with all due respect, I would leave it alone! (NY DMV is a -_itch to deal with!)
                          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            I am in the process of buying a Studebaker. Somewhere along the way, a 1 in the Serial Number (VIN) got replaced with an I. I can see how this happened - because of Studebaker's use of an I for a 1 on the stamped S/N plate.

IMHO I think Gary and some of you of you are completely misunderstanding the concept of a Vehicle Title.

The way I understand it the serial number on the Title looks like this:

Example: 63VI0762, the Serial Number Plate looks like this: 63VI0762

This is absolutely CORRECT from my experience with over 100 Calif. and Washington State Titles.
                            Even though we all know that the "I" represents a 1, and does not match the Serial Number listings in the Parts Catalogs, the Motor Vehicle and Highway Patrol people EXPECT the Serial Number Plate to MATCH perfectly to the Title like ALL of mine do from the original registered as NEW Calif. Titles.

When one of my 1964 Daytonas was questioned for "a modified Vin. Plate", the Calif. Highway Patrol IMPOUNDED it, to check the "secret Serial Number" to verify no monkey business had happened, if you recall from two of my prior posts.

I would not like it either when they are actually WRONG, like (2) of my Cars that are typoed, and I have not hassled the Washington State Dept. of Licensing to correct it yet, but it does bug me.

64V11940 shown as 64X11940 and 63S1348 shown as: 6351348, just dumb mistakes made by one of those Wash. State Patrol "Vin. Inspectors".

I say respectfully, it is already CORRECT Gary, don't sweat it!
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-26-2012, 12:43 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Gary,
                              Look at it this way, your registration has a Studebaker 1 on it, not an I.
                              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              X