The most enjoyable part of driving a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most enjoyable part of driving a Studebaker

In your life, what's the most enjoyable part of driving a Studebaker?

I think for me, the thing I most enjoy are the looks it gets and the conversations it starts. It's piles of fun to talk to people about Studebaker, even if they sometimes don't get their story right. (Today I "learned" that a 1954 Golden Hawk looks almost identical to my 1963 Lark after you remove the wings)

A very close second though would be the actual feeling of the vehicle. New cars seem engineered to remove you as much as possible from feeling the car or the road. Power everything, heavy insulation, the works. Modern cars are just a hair more realistic than some video games. With the Lark, I can feel the road being rolled under me. I can hold the wheel and know how the motor's running. When I'm cruising with the windows down, I can hear all the sounds of an almost 50 year old car. That makes it a lot of fun!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

The sheer fun of doing so and the interest shown by others. A lovely thing indeed.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I'll tell you guys next month when mine hits the road! Even now it is small talk about town that the "old Studebaker shop" in town is restoring some old ones... I get a lot of visitors who actually drove in or drove in the 40's. The converstaions are great and I can see these wonderful people reminiscing about their lives and I get to hear all of their stories. i can only imagine what it will be like when I am actually on the road with it!!!

Comment

45 mph down a little country road on a blue sky spring day. Car purring, drivers window down, vents open. Oldies station playing strongly on the AM radio, no one ahead, no one behind. The mind wanders and it is all as perfect as it can be.

Comment

At 58, my favorite thing is remembering riding in it as a kid with my dad and my 16th birthday when he handed over the keys....and a few "special" dates in high school.
          My first car on the road again!

The old girl has never been sold to the public
          Grandpa was a Studie dealer. He got it off the car carrier in 1956 and drove it until 1959
          My dad: 1959-70

sigpic

Me: 1970-2015 and counting!

Comment

That feeling when I put the hammer down to pass somebody and the exhaust echoes off their car.
            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
            Lizella, GA

Comment

I agree, one of the great things is all the attention it gets. The smiles from people and the stories they tell about their Studebaker experiences. I also get a lot of satisfaction from driving something I spent so much time successfully working on. On the feeling of driving it, I love the power it has and the sounds it makes. It may sound trite, but it really does make me feel alive and some times I turn into that guy in his 20s behind the wheel of his dream car.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

What I hear is "wow cool car", what is it? I love it and so does the Wife. You would think in a city the size of Houston you would see a Stude now and then, but you don't, so now I guess I am a teacher to the younger bunch. If they want to know about my Hawk, I'm gona tell them.

Comment

Originally posted by new2drive View Post
                  I'll tell you guys next month when mine hits the road! Even now it is small talk about town that the "old Studebaker shop" in town is restoring some old ones... I get a lot of visitors who actually drove in or drove in the 40's. The converstaions are great and I can see these wonderful people reminiscing about their lives and I get to hear all of their stories. i can only imagine what it will be like when I am actually on the road with it!!!
                  I think just finishing a project of that magnitude can be highly enjoyable. I know that when I get my '60 project running, I'm going to be a very happy camper indeed.

Comment

I love knowing that it's highly unlikely that I will meet myself coming back down the road in the opposite direction

There's also the joy of driving a vehicle that's uncomplicated. You flick a switch, something happens. You step on the throttle, you're directly connected to the fuel delivery system. There's no "middleman" electronics isolating you from your car.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

What I HATE are the zoomeruppers who speed up to get ten feet behind the car to try and read the nameplate which studebaker in their genius placed partially being the bumper guard

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                        I love knowing that it's highly unlikely that I will meet myself coming back down the road in the opposite direction
                        This reminded me of an experience a couple days ago. I pulled into a gas station to add some fuel, and there were - I'm not even exaggerating - THREE Ford Mustangs that were less than 3 years old at various pumps, two of which could have been twins. And here's my little '63, worth 1/10th of just one of those ponies pulling in for some premium. While I was fueling up, four people asked about my car (including one of the 'Stang owners). Guess how many people asked them about their shiny new high performance sport cars?

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                          What I HATE are the zoomeruppers who speed up to get ten feet behind the car to try and read the nameplate which studebaker in their genius placed partially being the bumper guard
                          I used to get that in a 1953 Commander Starliner. People would follow very closely in order to try to read "Studebaker" on the trunk handle. I bought a license plate frame for the rear with "Studebaker" in easy to read letters on it. That helped a lot.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think it's very enjoyable not to have to mail off a monthly car payment!

Comment

The best thing is the relief of NOT feeling the vibration that has driven you nuts for the last 5 years. But in just a few miles that frustration is all washed away by the breeze coming in around your left-arm-out-the-window on a blue-sky 70 degree May day. The ride-along mechanic who just helped eliminate the rumbling is smiling almost as broadly as myself. We had to drive another thirty miles thru the beautiful Black Hills "just to make sure" the fix was permanent. Then he has to return to the shop. The ride is smooth, the duals tell the world that this is an able automobile, firm but not offensive.. Then a 20 something at the Ace Hdwe store asks, is that a Studebaker? "I love cars and that one is beautiful". Ahhhhh, frustration...what frustration.

Comment

Working...
                              X