Cruisin' Story in USA Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruisin' Story in USA Today

Pretty nice writeup about car clubs and cruisin' events in todays' USA Today..
    Jeff[8D]

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...cruising_N.htm

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

"Loitering, underage drinking, illegal drugs, and noise?" I think those observations must apply to the Import/Tuner types of cruisers.

Most of the cruise-ins around here are so mild you'd think it was a church service. (Well, come to think of it, it is!)

Overall, a positive, pleasant report, Jeffster. Thanks. [8D] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

"Loitering, underage drinking, illegal drugs, and noise?" I think those observations must apply to the Import/Tuner types of cruisers.

Most of the cruise-ins around here are so mild you'd think it was a church service. (Well, come to think of it, it is!)

Overall, a positive, pleasant report, Jeffster. Thanks. [8D] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Around here the import/tuner types are excluded from two cruisenights and kept seperate at another one.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Around here the import/tuner types are excluded from two cruisenights and kept seperate at another one.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

I've been to a few cruise-ins around here, and it's the same way. Mostly middle-aged to senior citizens, very quiet-no loud engine revving, no burn-outs or loud stereos permitted, and absolutely no alchoholic beverages. We do get a lot of attention from the younger crowds, but they tend to quickly move on, after finding these old cars aren't really their thing. These really are very different events from the loud, performance-oriented meets that mostly feature young guys and their imports or highly-modified American cars from the mid-seventies to the early 90's, where there are sound system competitions and such.

pitbulllady

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

I've been to a few cruise-ins around here, and it's the same way. Mostly middle-aged to senior citizens, very quiet-no loud engine revving, no burn-outs or loud stereos permitted, and absolutely no alchoholic beverages. We do get a lot of attention from the younger crowds, but they tend to quickly move on, after finding these old cars aren't really their thing. These really are very different events from the loud, performance-oriented meets that mostly feature young guys and their imports or highly-modified American cars from the mid-seventies to the early 90's, where there are sound system competitions and such.

pitbulllady

Comment

Thanks a lot Jeff. Now I feel homesick...

I'm sure I'll be over it by November .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Thanks a lot Jeff. Now I feel homesick...

I'm sure I'll be over it by November .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Underage drinking???....With the exception of Matt, all the Studebaker owners I've met are well over the age to get a drink...and anyone under that age has no idea what a Studebaker is!

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Underage drinking???....With the exception of Matt, all the Studebaker owners I've met are well over the age to get a drink...and anyone under that age has no idea what a Studebaker is!

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Here it depends on where you go. Everyone, business, Sound Company, has there own rules about this thing. Mostly its loitering and noise, no drinking or drugs. Particularly the last two as the DARE vehicles usually show up. Its usually a motley bunch from the 50's(sometimes 30's and 40's) on up to modern. Most are modified American cars and imports. All its about children's games, food, and fun with three sponsered trophies to the three best buddies that hang around the DJ, lol.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                        [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                        [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                        [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                        [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Here it depends on where you go. Everyone, business, Sound Company, has there own rules about this thing. Mostly its loitering and noise, no drinking or drugs. Particularly the last two as the DARE vehicles usually show up. Its usually a motley bunch from the 50's(sometimes 30's and 40's) on up to modern. Most are modified American cars and imports. All its about children's games, food, and fun with three sponsered trophies to the three best buddies that hang around the DJ, lol.

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                          [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                          [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                          [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                          [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                          X