Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a picture of the Blackie Pitts GN Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a picture of the Blackie Pitts GN Hawk?

I went to a Grand National (pre Nascar) race at Lakewood Speedway in Atlanta on April 13, 1958.. Two things really stood out.. The only Hawk GN racer ever seen and Tim Flock driving a Mercury convert with a added on hard top.. After finishing 18th, Mr. Flock pitched his helment into the middle of the lake.. The Hawk finished 22nd, didn't have a shaker screen for the radiator and ran hot.. Anyone have a pic??

If anyone does, it would be Bob Coolidge....and I'll bet he does.

For anyone coming to the South Bend International Meet, don't forget to "make" Bob Coolidge's Studebakers in NASCAR seminar Tuesday afternoon, July 31 in The Studebaker National Museum's auditorium.

No registration or tickets required, but first-come, first-served on the seating. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

from studebakerracing.comClick image for larger version

Name:	Blackie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1674460

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
        I went to a Grand National (pre Nascar) race at Lakewood Speedway in Atlanta on April 13, 1958.. Two things really stood out.. The only Hawk GN racer ever seen and Tim Flock driving a Mercury convert with a added on hard top.. After finishing 18th, Mr. Flock pitched his helment into the middle of the lake.. The Hawk finished 22nd, didn't have a shaker screen for the radiator and ran hot.. Anyone have a pic??
        The Grand National was the stock car division of NASCAR as opposed to the modified and sportsman divisions. It followed the Strictly Stock car division and preceeded the current Cup Division. Blackie's Hawk was not the only Hawk that raced in the NASCAR Grand National Division. Hopefully you will be able to attend my presentation during the International Meet in July in South Bend.
        www.studebakerracing.com
        Last edited by trnstrtrk; 05-25-2012, 08:35 AM.
        sigpicBob Coolidge
        DeLand, FL

Comment

Working...
        X