No announcement yet.

Failed Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does it work in the US, in states where there is no inspection. Do you not have to maintain your vehicle to a standard or can you drive anything regardless of its condition? In NZ if you have an accident that was caused by your vehicle not being up to standard the insurance company won't pay.

Comment

Georgia still has a motor vehicle code in place, just no M/V inspection anymore. I have never had a car inspected in Ga. they dropped the requirment in 1982 when I got here ( you'r welcome ) I really expected to see a lot of real junk on the road, but that didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by nzstude View Post
        How does it work in the US, in states where there is no inspection. Do you not have to maintain your vehicle to a standard or can you drive anything regardless of its condition?

Yes. But in reality, people don't drive deathtraps. Good cars are still cheap and even idiots have some sense and don't drive cars without brakes/steering, etc..
        As far as insurance not paying even if you have faulty equipment, under US laws, I really don't think they have a choice but to pay.
        Really, the percentage of crashes being caused by faulty equipment is so small, it's a red herring.
        When I was in Texas they only thing wrong they ever found on one of my cars was a burnt out license plate buld..one of two. Somehow I don't think my life was saved by that inspection.
        Most crashes are caused by inattention/idiots/drunks/speeding...did I mention idiots?

Again, either have a real inspection (like we have with light aircraft) or none at all.
        Last edited by JBOYLE; 05-25-2012, 11:38 PM.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
          So far the best thing abut living in California is no inspections, weather, and easy to get a new title, not to mention no snow and salt. I feel for you others.
          That may be true Bob, but having lived there for 12 years, I can think of a lot more reasons NOT to live n Cali. Don't get me started....!

Comment

How does it work in the US, in states where there is no inspection. Do you not have to maintain your vehicle to a standard or can you drive anything regardless of its condition? In NZ if you have an accident that was caused by your vehicle not being up to standard the insurance company won't pay.
            In reality, Wayne; you still have to maintain your car even if there is no formal inspection.

A policeman can cite you for loud (defective) exhaust, burned-out license plate bulb, etc., etc. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
              North Carolina does not require an ispection of any vehicle 35 years old or older. I and other have horror stories about getting older cars inspected prior to the statute aht did away with those inspections. A friend took his R2 GT Hawk in for inspection and the inspector broke off the turn signal arm trying to dim the lights! He had never seen a car that did not use an arm on the steering column to dim the lights. I had a guy pull off the knob on the headlight switch. I told him that he needed to let me do it and when he told me the law said he had to do it I asked him if the law requred him to break stuff as well. He wasn't pleased with me or my Champ, but he did allow me to turn on the the lights and work the controls on the dash. He also demanded to see under the hood, something not required when inspecting a 1961 vehicle at that time. When looking at the engine he told me I had a "big block Ford" engine. Thank goodness I do not have to go through that anymore.
              When I was still driving my (deceased) '64 Champ, I had my wife take it in for inspection (required annually in WV). The station operator was required to check brakes on all four wheels and he tried to- tried to pull the rear hub with the later style puller ( for flanged axles). He couldn't get it off so he was about to put a torch to the hub to heat it to get it off. He was nearing closing time so he stopped and told her to bring it back the next day. When she told me about it we found another place to do the inspection.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Yes, believe it or not, there are still a few states that give enough liberty and freedom to their people that we (not the government) decide road worthiness.

Of course, they do require that the car meets the minimum definition of a vehicle (bumpers, fenders, motorized drive train and head and tail lights, etc) but beyond that, it's self governance at its finest. My brother drove his Saturn for four years without a muffler, and no problems came from it.
                Last edited by JimC; 05-26-2012, 05:17 AM.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

As a teen I spent a year going to high school in South Australia (the state - not just the geographic area...). The police there could run an inspection on a vehicle "on the spot" if there was any kind of doubt whether it was un-safe to drive. It happened twice in cars I was riding in - and they would even test the hand brake (parking brake) to make sure it held properly. This was the late 1980s - not sure if that is still true today.

I would venture a guess that most "old car" people are pretty self aware about keeping their vehicle safe and maintained.

My father had my step-mother's car inspected at a Walmart store about fifteen years ago back in Texas. Guy doing the inspection managed to strip almost all but one lug bolt on one of the wheels - last time my dad went there for ANYTHING involving vehicles...
                  Last edited by 62champ; 05-26-2012, 06:10 AM.

Comment

You also have to consider the mind set of the "inspector". Far too many believe they have to find faults, if they are to do their job correctly.
                    I once lived in a place with mandatory annual inspections in government check stations. I learned early on that it was pointless to come with an old car and expect a "pass".
                    The inspectors were faulting newish cars all the time. The "oldies" just had to have faults.
                    Had one car faulted for excessive tie-rod play, one inspector with a ruler and one with a pinch bar established that the existing play was "excessive". Bought a new tie-rod end, it had exactly the same play as the one I took out.
                    After that, I made sure there were some faults to be found -
                    - Removed one tail light bulb
                    - Adjusted one rear brake to almost drag and the other one slacked off as far as possible (uneven braking)
                    - Adjusted one headlight to aim quite high
                    - Loosened one front wheel bearing
                    - Made the idle mix VERY rich (too high CO2 readings)
                    Came out with 5 easy to fix faults and returned next day for a pass.
                    Fairly painless.
                    /H

Comment

Returned to my 'old' small town garage to get my inspection done by somebody who knows old cars and passed without any problems. When I told him about the kid at my last inspection failing me for excessive play in the ball joints he laughed and commented on how these new kids have never even seen a non-rack and pinion car and what a difference that makes. I hadn't even though about that before. I promised him I would not take my car anywhere else. And that is how you stay in business today: customer loyalty.
                      sigpic
                      1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Back in the '80s we took my wife's car to Canadian Tire Auto Centre. They couldn't get it started at closing time, when we went to pick it up, so they pushed it outside & then turned off the lights to the garage. Come back tomorrow!

Comment

Took my Hawk to get inspected, guy had never seen a Stude, so he ask does this car have a horn?, yes I said, do the wipers work and have a motor, I said yes. I got my sticker. I will be going back to the same place next year.

Comment

Originally posted by JEWELL View Post
                            Took my Hawk to get inspected, guy had never seen a Stude, so he ask does this car have a horn?, yes I said, do the wipers work and have a motor, I said yes. I got my sticker. I will be going back to the same place next year.
                            That's a good idea. Once you find somebody that works stick with them.
                            sigpic
                            1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Working...
                            X