5" avanti wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5" avanti wheels

I am looking for 5-#1557724 -15" x 5" NOS or good used Avanti wheels. These should be the wheels on 63-64 Avanti, and were used on early Super Larks.
    THANKS
    PAUL

Wear a dust mask when you are rooting around in the haystack looking for those needles, Paul. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BOB
      Does any company make an identical wheel to these? Maybe I don't have enough dust masks!
      THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by 00RACER View Post
        BOB
        Does any company make an identical wheel to these? Maybe I don't have enough dust masks!
        THANKS
        Not that I'm aware of, Paul.

Believe me, the demand is out there. Honestly, I'll bet not two days goes by that one of our Co-Operator Advisors or myself or on the Forum, here, doesn't receive any inquiry about wider 15" wheels for 1951 and newer Studebakers.

I'm aware of one vendor who is pursuing having a duplicate-type wheel made, but the cost is terribly high when fewer than 50,000 wheels are to be made to one specification. For it to be profitable at that quantity, every single SDC member who owns at least one Studebaker would have to buy 5 wheels, and we know that is not realistic. (Sure, there are more than 10,000 SDC members, but many of them do not own a Studebaker.)

For now, the only advice is to seek out a back-room stash of NWRA #40273 or Hayes #82552 wheels from an independent tire and wheel dealer. That's the 6" wide Ford application wheel that fits our cars very nicely due to offset and such. But they've been out of production for several years now and the supply has pretty well dried up. If you can find any, grab 'em all! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Paul, what hubcaps do you want to run? If you are going to use full wheelcovers, then I would
          Take Bob's advice and look for newer wheels. If you want to use the dog dish, then you will
          have to hunt down some Avanti wheels, or check out '66s, as they went to a 5" mid model year.
          As Bob stated, they are hard to find, but out there. I found two at the May South Bend swap
          many years ago.
          Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
          \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

hi mr Palma on the 5 " wheels did thay use 5 " wheels on the 63 ,64 lark types that had come with disk brakes from the factory ,and would you know what seral number on ward in 1966 came with 5 " wheel,s thank you raymond wise.
            rawise

Comment

Originally posted by wise raymond View Post
              hi mr Palma on the 5 " wheels did thay use 5 " wheels on the 63 ,64 lark types that had come with disk brakes from the factory ,and would you know what seral number on ward in 1966 came with 5 " wheel,s thank you raymond wise.
              Ray:

1. 1963 and 1964 Lark-types with disc brakes did not necessarily use a 5" wide wheel. Most had a 4 1/2" wide wheel like any other car, unless they were Avantis.

2. I do not know at what serial number 5" wheels became standard on 1966 models. I've never seen that information actually recorded anywhere, so it may not exist. Fortunately, of course, you can measure them when you see wheels at swap meets, but they must not have tires mounted on them. BP

Comment

Why not just use some Ford Mustang wheels? They are easily found in your local junk yard.

Comment

Thank You Mr Bob Palma. Thank you studemichael ,ray wise
                  Last edited by wise raymond; 05-24-2012, 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling
                  rawise

Comment

Hi Paul, I might have 2 or 3 good used, PM me if you are interested.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Studeba...r#ht_500wt_922

Comment

I installed my original 1963 Avanti wheels on a 1961 Lark Deluxe, before I knew of the difference.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                        X