Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was the Best Post-WWll Year for American Cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was the Best Post-WWll Year for American Cars?

Basing my opinion purely on styling, I would choose 1957 (except for Chevrolet). Obviously, I love fins and chrome. What would be your choice?
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

That's a tough question if you are a Studebaker man.

If not for Studebaker, I'd say 1963. Great styling and excellent build quality for the time. Extended warranties were tightening up some of the assembly-line slop. Ford, Chevy, Plymouth; all nice-looking with proven drivetrains and good chassis components. Order any as fast as you'd care to go.

1964 Ford and Chevrolet, not so good-looking. But Studebaker: Gorgeous! Like I said, tough call for that reason. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To include all makes, I will say 1955. Studebaker, Packard, Chrysler, Ford, all divisions of GM, and Kaiser had great looking cars in that year. I'm not a fan of the Hudson & Nash cars of that year, though they look okay.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

For styling, I think 1953 was Studebaker's best post-war year. For business, I think it was 1950.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Without doubt, 1955. The Studebaker Speedster, Chrysler B300, Corvette V8, Ford Thunderbird, Packard V8, Pontiac V8.

Or maybe 1956. The Studebaker Sky Hawk and Golden Hawk, Thunderbird 312", Chrysler 300B,

Unless, maybe 1963. The Studebaker Avanti and GT, Corvette Sting Ray, Plymouth/Dodge Max Wedge 426", Ford 427", Pontiac 421", Falcon Sprint, Corvair Monza

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Absolutely 1955. The all new Chevy V-8, the all new Plymouth V-8, new Pontiac and Packard V-8s, just to name a few. Styling and colors from all companies across the board were the best ever.

Dave Bonn
            '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

1991: EFI and ABS had been perfected, but the manufacturers hadn't tried to computerize everything else.

Comment

When you say best year, it is hard to come up with one without qualifiers, such as; styling, mechanical, manufacturer.
                Styling, for Studebaker, I say 1953.
                Overall car, I say 1972.
                Mechanically, I say most anything from about 2001 up.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My favorite year has always been 57. I liked them all. Ford Fairlane. T-Bird, Chevy Bel Air, Coevette, both Hawks, Packard, all the mopars, Caddy, Buick, Pontiac, My Rocket 88 Olds. (Richard Petty had one too.) Didn't pay much attention to the AMCs of the day.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

I'm partial to 1964. All Studebakers, full-size Fords, full-size Chevys, Riviera, T-Bird, Corvette, GTO and a little thing called the 1964 1/2 Mustang.
                    Scott Rodgers
                    Los Angeles
                    SDC Member since 1989
                    \'60 Lark HT
                    \'63 Wagonaire
                    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Hey Jack, like your choices but think you mean C-300 for '55. Even the Imperial was good looking in '55 as well and let's not forget the Nomad and Safari. Think we need just one of each. Dan

Comment

Mechanically speaking, I believe the best year would have to be 1949... with the introduction of the first two modern overhead valve V8 engines. Far cry from the old flatheads!

Comment

Hey SN-60, '51 had two new O/H/V V/8's as well. Since the Olds and Cad were so similar, think I'd go for the Stude and the Hemi in '51. And who could forget the '51 Hudson Hornet's, dual carb, "Miracle H Power" large straight F/H 6 !! Just me, I'll vote '51 ! Dan

Comment

'67 aint bad, new Corvette, Pontiacs and of course Avanti II !

Comment

What about 1947? Afterall, Studebaker was "First by far with a postwar car."
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X