Studebaker Myths and Misconceptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for not taking it wrong.
    We want to hear more from those that were actively involved, or know firsthand what was going on.
    My reply was to draw more out from you.
    Now you have let us know your connections, which helps the readers know from where you are coming from when you post something.
    Please feel free to share your info, exploits, and stories!
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Originally posted by pointer42 View Post
    Well, the information that I pass on is from personal observation (I was there) or from what my Father (on site supervisor of the Proving Grounds) or from my Uncle (in town supervisor of the Proving Grounds) said in my presence. Dad worked there for 23 years and not sure how long my Uncle was there, but I was told by my Father that his brother was once offered the Chief Engineer's position. My two positions "on the line" as summer work also gives me a little perspective, plus living in South Bend for my first 20 years or so helps too.

Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK
    Fred,
    Now don't take this wrong.......
    But you are eleven post's new to this forum (looking at your post count using this screen name)
    and you have already started to write/correct/re-write Studebaker history.
    This forum is full of very enthusiastic, and sometimes mis-informed posters, and readers.
    Your correcting history is always welcome, as there is a lot of 'lore' that is heresay, or passed down from person to person.
    Your opinions are always welcome, as we need to get a good cross section of viewpoints.
    But...
    You need to elaborate more than just an expletive, or a comment like "Ask someone who was there"....
    OK, I am asking... Tell me the story, the whole story, and the details about the story, all backed up with facts.
    Not nitpicking, but trying not to see more added to the 'lore' that could become fact without being verified.
    I, for one, like your spunk. But I want more than just the tidbits you have tossed out.
    Please post more often, and share your stories with us all.
    Thanks!
    Jeff
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-02-2012, 08:07 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
      "In 1962 ANDY GRANATELLI bought 10 1956 Packard V8 352 Cu. In. engines for his race cars. They all had dual 4 barrel carburetors. He had the engines bored to 374 Cu. In. (The engine is not originally a 374) After this, He added McCulloch superchargers and after tuning the engines to the extent he wanted them, he placed them in the Studebaker cars and used them to attempt to beat the land speed record in the Bonneville Salt Flats."

The story is BS, but the boat and engine are BEAUTIFUL!

I'll bet there are many 56J owners who have spent sleepless nights thinking about a Packard V8 set up just like the one in this boat installation....absolutely beautiful!

Comment

• [QUOTE=DEEPNHOCK;650967]Thanks for not taking it wrong.
        We want to hear more from those that were actively involved, or know firsthand what was going on.
        My reply was to draw more out from you.
        Now you have let us know your connections, which helps the readers know from where you are coming from when you post something.
        Please feel free to share your info, exploits, and stories!
        Thanks,
        Jeff

Gee, I thought the purpose of providing a profile was to inform people of who you are and why you might have joined this Group. Oh well, as a forty year plus school school teacher I should not have expected all the students to do their homework. Send me your 30 year Studebaker ring so I can kiss it.

Comment

Working...
        X