53 grill shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 grill shells

What is the average cost on plating a 53 grill shell, not cracled.

"A 53 grill shell" ? Don't know
    I sent the four pieces some years ago to a highly reputable plater; The quote for the four was $1500.
    After blasting to the base metal he determined they were too far gone for him (some worm holes all the way through but not cracked). He returned them with no charge and recommended another shop.
    The other shop accomplished the task (they didn't need to media-blast) for $1600.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

A rattle can of chrome colored spray paint. About $5 from Napa...
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

I was told about $1200 IF mine were as good as they look after they were blasted, I paid a lot for a NOS and a Good chrome grille surrounds $850

There was a right side NOS with some discoloration from being in the box for 60 years..
        It went cheap at $250..

Haven't seen many and I was searching.

Mine (take offs) are very nice..but paint covers things..so I am stripping them
        I may try spray chrome and clear just to see how it looks..
        I am very happy with the new chrome ones..really makes the front come alive on my dark green car

Comment

I'm surpised to hear that surounds are media blasted. To me the metal of the surrounds seems too fragile and pocketed to be blasted by media.

When I had some done a long time ago they were chemically de-chromed/stripped.

Maybe some of our resident chrome experts can chime in with the preferred technique. I know some shops specifically advertise that they specialize in chroming parts made of "pot" metal.
          Last edited by wcarroll@outrageous.net; 05-23-2012, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach
            A rattle can of chrome colored spray paint. About $5 from Napa...
            sounds crazy but I think I'll try that stuff on a small piece of the Lark and see how it turns out!

Ok not really...

Comment

I asked Jerry this sometime ago, I believe he said in the 350 area, as a questimate sight unseen.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                What is the average cost on plating a 53 grill shell, not cracled.
                $300-$350 ea.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

What about that three step chrome paint process? Leno had it demo'd on His 'Big Dawg Garage' show. The stuff is really supposed to look like........Chrome!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    What about that three step chrome paint process? Leno had it demo'd on His 'Big Dawg Garage' show. The stuff is really supposed to look like........Chrome!
                    Jim McCuan is getting into that. Here's one of his first pieces, just finished. '33 Stude hubcap. You're right, it does look like chrome.

Comment

It looks good, but you have to remember it scratches like paint, because it is.
                      So I've heard.

Comment

I was told Soda Blast..my old ones are painted..
                        Never had it done..as I bought a left Chrome NOS in box and right decent chrome used..

Comment

Working...
                        X