Engine ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ID

I just bought this engine on eBay. It was advertised as being from the 50's.

So here's the challenge, what year and model is this from and why? 259 or 289?

When I pick up the engine I'll report back the engine number.
    Attached Files
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

The placement of the fuel pump tells us its a 55 or later, examine the milled flat beside the oil fill tube, (the side that doesn't have the oil filter), if it begins with a (here we go, there are problems with every answer) V it's a 259. If it begins with a P it's a 289, unless the P is followed by 4 digits, then its a 259 from 1955. On the other hand, if some one has switched the internals, all bets are off. Pull out a spark plug and look at the top of the piston, if its flat, its a 259, dished, its a 289, unless it's a 289 built for a supercharger, but this isn't carbureted for that option, unless some one messed with it.

Does this make sense?

Comment

With the 2 bolt valve covers and the 4 bolt thermostat housing - assuming these items haven't been swapped, of course - leaves only one possibility, that being 1960.

Comment

My '57 259 in set up just like this one. That is the oil filler and oil filter are the same.

Comment

Working...
        X