Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas pump shut off

For you folks with 53 style coupes.

When you fill the tank, does the pump shut off automatically without spilling gas down side of car?

I don't have a '53, but a '56 wagon. Some of the newer handles don't shut off at all. In fact I have to stay away from Valero completely as their handles will literally pressure feed the tank till it squirts out the boot. Then when I yank out the nozzle, the gas squirts in a jet out of the filler tube onto the ground! Last time must have wasted two gallons of very expensive gas, not to mention ruining my pants!
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The ol' fuel cell can't even handle a full 22 gallons as every time I accelerate it spills fuel all over the trunk and stinks up the joint.
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

On Barney, with the central pipe on the rear filler, the California gas nozzles will not seal enough to fill without me holding the handle firmly against the pipe. Otherwise it just goes all over.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I haven't had any problem, in fact, the pumps around here keep shutting off without the tank being full. This works out well for me as if the tank is full, I get a lot of fuel odor when the car sets in the garage.

Bob
          Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
            On Barney, with the central pipe on the rear filler, the California gas nozzles will not seal enough to fill without me holding the handle firmly against the pipe. Otherwise it just goes all over.
            I have had that problem with the Cruiser as well. That horizontal fuel filler makes it difficult sometimes. On my Champ I find that some gas filler nozzles do not shut off. I have learned to stand back and slowly fill the tank while listening to be sure it doesn't get too full. I figure it is one of the prices I pay for playing with old toys.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

With my Wagonaire, I not only have to hold the pump nozzle the whole time(So it won't fall out!), when it does shut off, at least a cup of fuel splashes out! I've learned to stand back and hold onto the hose (instead of the nozzle) about three feet away not to get splashed.

Comment

Fill the tank slowly and listen. I guess this comes from running and working in service stations that did not have automatic shut off nozzles.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Fill the tank slowly and listen. I guess this comes from running and working in service stations that did not have automatic shut off nozzles.
                  Exactly what I do, you're not the only one who worked in old gas stations, I just wondered what others experience's were, or if my car was just giving me the finger.

Comment

My '53 coupe (custom) has this problem. I have to watch and listen to know when to stop.
                    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Mine shuts off. However, I don't just let the nozzle hang. I hold it up a little.

Comment

I get good results with my Daytona by setting it on the slowest notch on the handle - but I agree, Valero pumps seem to be made differently and it's hard to fill up without spilling. I've even considered modifying mine to fill from inside the trunk just to eliminate the bend.

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                          Exactly what I do, you're not the only one who worked in old gas stations, I just wondered what others experience's were, or if my car was just giving me the finger.
                          Same here...
                          Unless you like the smell of modern gas and wiping with those nasty brown recycled wipes

Comment

Working...
                          X