Tire Question for the PSMCD racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
    Good thought on the Bucrons. The R2 Super Lark tested in the December, 1963, Motor Trend had 6.70 X 15 Firestone Butylaires. It posted a very good (for the time) 0-30 time of 2.9 seconds. Anyone know if those were similar to the Atlas tire? George
    Similar, George, but not as good. I remember handling both Butylaires and Bucrons "back in the day" in the service station business. The Bucrons were a bit softer, and likely stickier.

62champ: If someone wanted to run Bucrons or Butylaires at The Pure Stock Drags, they probably could. But they'd have to find two more tires of the identical size to run on the front wheels. They wouldn't have to be Bucrons or Butylaires up front, but if they were running 7.10X15 Bucrons or Butylaires on the rear, they'd have to run 7.10X15s of some other [probably] reproduction brand on the front. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Similar, George, but not as good. I remember handling both Butylaires and Bucrons "back in the day" in the service station business. The Bucrons were a bit softer, and likely stickier.

62champ: If someone wanted to run Bucrons or Butylaires at The Pure Stock Drags, they probably could. But they'd have to find two more tires of the identical size to run on the front wheels. They wouldn't have to be Bucrons or Butylaires up front, but if they were running 7.10X15 Bucrons or Butylaires on the rear, they'd have to run 7.10X15s of some other [probably] reproduction brand on the front. BP
      If you could find them, I would be very nervous running a 40+ year old tire at 100 mph

Thanks again everyone for your input.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Those Bucrons were very sticky and wore out very fast.
        If you found some old ones now, they would neither be safe nor sticky.
        The service station/garage owner in one place that I worked had them on his DeSoto. They worked great. One night he left his car at the station. During the night, someone jacked up the side of the car away from the street and stole two wheels and Bucrons. This same owner looked me up and called me to chat recently (after five decades). We remembered a lot of things from his three stations, but the Bucrons did not come up in the conversation in that call.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, had a fun evening at Sacramento Raceway. A new personal best of 13.57. Only got to make 4 passes, they were all in the 13s. My consistency has improved with 60' times all between 2.23 and 2.28. The traction bars have helped with that I am sure. If I could cut that by a tenth I think it would make a huge difference in the ET. Your input on the tire pressure was very helpful. I set it at 25 pounds, in the past I have been running 20-22 lbs and I now know I don't need to go that low. The Studebaker got a lot of attention and won on 3 of 4 passes. Thanks again for the advice.
          Attached Files
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
          X